California Mandates Vaccines for Schoolchildren

It would be a problem except that you are shoving your kid into a class of 30 others, and a school of at least hundreds. And so there is probably some realistic need for this, in my view.

Reactions: 2 people
It would be a problem except that you are shoving your kid into a class of 30 others, and a school of at least hundreds. And so there is probably some realistic need for this, in my view.

The whole point of vaccination (I thought) was to protect your kids from infection. So if my kid has the bug and just so happens to be in contact with your kid, your kid should be protected, right?

Sounds like you don't have much faith in vaccines...

The whole point of vaccination (I thought) was to protect your kids from infection. So if my kid has the bug and just so happens to be in contact with your kid, your kid should be protected, right?

i think he was for this law. jmo.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

What if it turns out that my child is immuno-compromised and, unbeknownst to me, his vaccines didn't take?

That's how herd immunity works: everyone who can be successfully vaccinated does so, so that those who can't are protected.

Not sure you understand how vaccines work.

Reactions: 8 people

Yup.

If you want to make the conscious decision not to vaccinate your child, fine. That's your right as a parent. Making that decision means you get to homeschool.

What if it turns out that my child is immuno-compromised and, unbeknownst to me, his vaccines didn't take?

That's how herd immunity works: everyone who can be successfully vaccinated does so, so that those who can't are protected.

Have you ever taken a microbiology class?

Nope.

But I have at least a basic level of common sense.

Indeed you do. I asked my question with sincerity. I appreciate this is an emotional issue for you so i will ignore your snark.

I took microbiology 20 years ago. If herd immunity was a concept back then, i do not remember it. Do you know when the theory of herd immunity gained traction bc i do not? Also, and this part is especially troublesome for someone with immunocompromised status, about 25% of our micro class (100 people) are carriers of MRSA (a nasty, hearty antibiotic resistant strain of staph). These individuals carry with no S/S (signs & symptoms) whatsoever. Equally disconcerting is that strep, staph, e coli, fecal coliforms, influenza, fungi etc are literally everywhere. You may think that sterile surgical rooms in hospitals are free of these but they are not. In fact, hospitals have special ones which cause nosocomial infections which are particularly elegant in their virulence. If one is truly immunocompromised, there is zero chance they are not exposed daily (hourly) to viruses, bacteria, and fungi. In fact, the viruses and bacteria for which we are vaccinated are still pervasive. We didn't destroy the organism , we created an environment which is no longer hospitable to their proliferation.

Microbiology is a fascinating study. I am in no regard an expert. And, this isn't intended to persuade or dissuade anyone regarding the debate about vaccines. I wanted to provide some insight on the notion that we are skipping through life wthout any exposure to these nasty little critters.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
"Immunocompromised" does not mean just one thing. One immunocompromised child might have no problem with a vaccine, while it may not take for the next.

As for when you heard the term, I don't know what to tell you. But the theory was first presented in the 20s or 30s, and the Herd Immunity Threshold formula has been around since the 70s.

Reactions: 1 person
"Immunocompromised" does not mean just one thing. One immunocompromised child might have no problem with a vaccine, while it may not take for the next.

As for when you heard the term, I don't know what to tell you. But the theory was first presented in the 20s or 30s, and the Herd Immunity Threshold formula has been around since the 70s.

At least you aren't responding like a teenage girl. Progress! :)

I would like to know where you have found immunocompromised to have several meanings. I understand it to mean, an irregular or impaired immune system. That is to say, an immune response which is faulty. The underlying cause which precedes impaired immunity can be multifactorial. However, immunocompromised only means one thing.

i wonder why Herd Theory fell out of favor (assuming my micro class was on par wth modern day concepts) only to see a renaissance now.

Do you have any opinions on the fact that we are in contact with billions of microrganisms daily?

Dr Jenny McCarthy gonna be pizzed

Good. Here is the list of diseases which children must be vaccinated against:

(1) Diphtheria.
(2) Hepatitis B.
(3) Haemophilus influenzae type b.
(4) Measles.
(5) Mumps.
(6) Pertussis (whooping cough).
(7) Poliomyelitis.
(8) Rubella.
(9) Tetanus.
(10) Varicella (chickenpox).

I'm not a doctor but all of those can be very dangerous in the very young.

Reactions: 1 person
At least you aren't responding like a teenage girl. Progress! :)

I would like to know where you have found immunocompromised to have several meanings. I understand it to mean, an irregular or impaired immune system. That is to say, an immune response which is faulty. The underlying cause which precedes impaired immunity can be multifactorial. However, immunocompromised only means one thing.

i wonder why Herd Theory fell out of favor (assuming my micro class was on par wth modern day concepts) only to see a renaissance now.

Do you have any opinions on the fact that we are in contact with billions of microrganisms daily?

Where did this class take place, because I don't know of a time the herd theory "fell out of place".

VN Store

Back