Conservatives have greater self-control than Liberals

IBlvNTmWrk

Dawn of a New Day
Probably won't hear about this study on CNN or MSNBC. I did, however, check to make sure LG hadn't already posted this information. I'm certain he was going to post it, but being a Liberal and all, I guess it just takes him a little longer to get things done.

Conservatives demonstrate more self control than Liberals, studies suggest
Clarkson says participants who identified as politically conservative consistently showed greater attention regulation and task persistence -- hallmark indicators of self-control -- and that these effects were independent of participants' gender, race, age, education or income.

'We found that those who identified as conservative were as correct as liberals, but they were performing the tasks faster. This finding suggests that conservatives might be better able to fixate their attention on a task,' says Clarkson.

Reactions: 4 people
I was going to comment on this article, but I couldn't help but keep staring at having both a Vols and Bulldogs logo...

Pretty sure that's a sin around these parts.

Might as well throw up a Bama logo with them.

I don't buy the methodology, but if such a thing was ever proven true, it wouldn't be surprising.

I was going to comment on this article, but I couldn't help but keep staring at having both a Vols and Bulldogs logo...

Pretty sure that's a sin around these parts.

Might as well throw up a Bama logo with them.

I grew up in TN and graduated from UT, but have lived in GA for nearly 20 years. I'm mostly a fan of college football in general, but my man cave is sufficient evidence as to where my loyalties and true fanhood reside. :hi:

I don't buy the methodology, but if such a thing was ever proven true, it wouldn't be surprising.

Care to comment on what you disagree with regarding the methodology? I have to admit that I was a skeptic myself, but upon reading the results and how the tests were performed I don't see any evident falsehoods.

The test wasn't fair, I was high as balls.

I lulzed. :)

Odd. Everytime I meet a conservative, they always look like they're one Obama speech away from a stroke. They're normally bug eyed and yelling about something (Israel, CNN, MSNBC, Obama, Welfare, etc.).

And I know their talk show hosts don't exhibit self control.

Reactions: 9 people
Odd. Everytime I meet a conservative, they always look like they're one Obama speech away from a stroke. They're normally bug eyed and yelling about something (Israel, CNN, MSNBC, Obama, Welfare, etc.).

And I know their talk show hosts don't exhibit self control.

Most liberals that I meet hate America and play victim role while telling you how to live your life

Reactions: 10 people
It's not particularly good form to criticize a generalization brought about by a generalization of your own.

The entire thread is about generalizations. And yes, one someone says something stupid it should be pointed out.

Reactions: 1 person
The entire thread is about generalizations. And yes, one someone says something stupid it should be pointed out.

Sorry, but if you're going to start a post with "Everytime I meet a conservative..." you are, at best, making yourself a willing participant in something you seem otherwise willing to denounce.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not particularly good form to criticize a generalization brought about by a generalization of your own.

Point to hndog.

As the OP of this thread I can unequivocally state that your statement is false. The thread is about 3 separate surveys that all claim conservatives have more self control than liberals. I have to admit that the results are surprising to me as I can't rationalize a correlation between party affiliation and/or political beliefs and someone's self control... but that's what the results indicate.

Sorry, but if you're going to start a post with "Everytime I meet a conservative..." you are, at best, making yourself a willing participant in something you seem otherwise willing to denounce.

When did I oppose generalization? I simply pointed out that social conservatives are all about telling other people how to live.

I generally find the "X side is smarter" or "Y side has better self-control" or "Z side are the racists" notions extremely deficient.

There are good points on both sides but anyone, generally, that only prescribes to whatever stance they're told their side should take is a complete moron.

And there is a stark difference between a fiscal conservative and a social conservative. They're both "politically conservative".

Reactions: 5 people
Yes, only liberals do that.

When did I oppose generalization? I simply pointed out that social conservatives are all about telling other people how to live.

See above. And then there's the whole idea of your use of "Everytime", which makes it appear either you live in Alex Jones's basement or we need to add hyperbole to your love of generalizations.

Actually don't overthink this...my original post was that trying to counter what you see as an inaccurate overgeneralization by providing one of your own is a rather weak approach.

See above. And then there's the whole idea of your use of "Everytime", which makes it appear either you live in Alex Jones's basement or we need to add hyperbole to your love of generalizations.

Actually don't overthink this...my original post was that trying to counter what you see as an inaccurate overgeneralization by providing one of your own is a rather weak approach.

Was I wrong when I said social conservatives base their entire platform on telling others how to live?

"However, the findings showed that conservatives outperformed liberals only when participants believed freewill has a beneficial impact on self-control. When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives.

'This finding is especially interesting because research to this point has focused only on the positive outcomes of believing in freewill,' says Clarkson. 'However, one could imagine a host of situations where knowing you are responsible for your actions could lead to frustration, anxiety and other negative emotions that could impair self-control. In these contexts, these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"

Yep. Clear as mud.

P.S. Its a study about advertising.

"However, the findings showed that conservatives outperformed liberals only when participants believed freewill has a beneficial impact on self-control. When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives.

'This finding is especially interesting because research to this point has focused only on the positive outcomes of believing in freewill,' says Clarkson. 'However, one could imagine a host of situations where knowing you are responsible for your actions could lead to frustration, anxiety and other negative emotions that could impair self-control. In these contexts, these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"

Yep. Clear as mud.

P.S. Its a study about advertising.

^^And the study is confirmed.

Makes sense. That is why most poor people are democrats. When I see a democrat I say "look there son (imaginary kid), that's a person who makes bad decisions on the regular, don't be like him". I follow that with "2 creams and no sugar please".

Reactions: 3 people
And there is a stark difference between a fiscal conservative and a social conservative. They're both "politically conservative".

True. I'm a fiscal conservative. On social issues I am what I like to call "a person who doesn't care".

^^And the study is confirmed.

I really don't think the folks on the board here are reading the article. They love the title. ... and they may start to read, but then they get distracted by all the pretty pictures off to the side and click on the ads.

Reactions: 3 people
I really don't think the folks on the board here are reading the article. They love the title. ... and they may start to read, but then they get distracted by all the pretty pictures off to the side and click on the ads.

Yep, that's exactly what is going on.

VN Store

Back