Fall of the Confederate Wall - Confederate Symbols Debate (Merged)

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
As Confederate flag loses support, Mayor Landrieu keys in on Confederate monuments: Jarvis DeBerry | NOLA.com

Push to Remove Bust of KKK Founding Leader from TN Capitol - Top Stories - wztv

It seems now just removing the flag isn't enough. I don't care one way or the other on the flag. One could make a reasonable argument that the flag was run up as an FU to the Civil Rights movement. However I feel that the various Confederate memorials and statues across the South genuinely honor and respect Confederate war dead.

Reactions: 1 person
Forgiveness is preached in the bible. But it is seldom used in racisim issues from all color types and from those who claim to place Christ first. It is sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The monuments have their place Imo. It's history that can't be whitewashed.

Reactions: 4 people
I tend to agree with you here. As long as its not being promoted as an official state symbol, I don't have a problem with it. Flying a flag is quite a bit different.

I tend to agree with you here. As long as its not being promoted as an official state symbol, I don't have a problem with it. Flying a flag is quite a bit different.

Florida better get to changing their flag

Whoa whoa whoa. The flags are bad enough but now they want to remove the bust of the founder of the KKK?

That's just too far.

Irony of ironies that people who see the founder of an organization based on racial supremacy that relied on domestic terrorism and murder to meet it's goals... they're the race baiters.

This isn't white guilt. Forrest is not a feather you want in your hat unless, honestly, you agree with his platform. In that case? Well, the KKK is racist and there are no 2 bones about it.

Time to hear about how the KKK and Forrest are "Southern heritage and pride" symbols.

Reactions: 5 people
As a history buff I don't care about the flag..but leave the monuments. They don't glorify war, they show the awful price paid.

Whoa whoa whoa. The flags are bad enough but now they want to remove the bust of the founder of the KKK?

That's just too far.

Irony of ironies that people who see the founder of an organization based on racial supremacy that relied on domestic terrorism and murder to meet it's goals... they're the race baiters.

This isn't white guilt. Forrest is not a feather you want in your hat unless, honestly, you agree with his platform. In that case? Well, the KKK is racist and there are no 2 bones about it.

Time to hear about how the KKK and Forrest are "Southern heritage and pride" symbols.

We could whitewash all monuments and history books to do away with mention of misdeeds, bad people and frankly actual history itself. Or we could leave up the reminders and teach actual history so people will remember and learn from past mistakes.

We could whitewash all monuments and history books to do away with mention of misdeeds, bad people and frankly actual history itself. Or we could leave up the reminders and teach actual history so people will remember and learn from past mistakes.

In this case .....some aren't learning from others mistakes.

Yeah! Lets be like Japan and totally ignore the horrible s!!! that happened during wars! Or like Germany and try to pretend nothing bad ever happened.

Nothing to see here people move along!

In this case .....some aren't learning from others mistakes.

It's the blame game.

We have a crazy racist lunatic gun down 9 innocent people and the major topic less than a week later is a ****ing piece of cloth ans confederate memorials.

The questions that should be asked and discussed are, what turned this kid into a monster, WHO influenced him, did anyone encourage or instruct him to commit this crime?

But no lets debate the presence and meaning of inanimate objects.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm fine with monuments to the Confederate soldiers as I've said in other threads. I'm even okay with a cemetery that is for Confederate war dead even flying under both the current US and state flag as well as the state flag they fought and died for.

History has judged it a misguided war but that shouldn't mean those men should be desecrated.

I simply think that iconography from that era have no place on state property. Especially the bust of the founder of the KKK in the Tennessee state capitol.

Reactions: 3 people
As Confederate flag loses support, Mayor Landrieu keys in on Confederate monuments: Jarvis DeBerry | NOLA.com

Push to Remove Bust of KKK Founding Leader from TN Capitol - Top Stories - wztv

It seems now just removing the flag isn't enough. I don't care one way or the other on the flag. One could make a reasonable argument that the flag was run up as an FU to the Civil Rights movement. However I feel that the various Confederate memorials and statues across the South genuinely honor and respect Confederate war dead.

You're upset that they want to remove the image of the founder of the KKK? Why would that be an issue?

Even if you believe there's nothing racist about a confederate flag......

Why would anyone want to celebrate a war that nearly destroyed our nation? Why is that a heritage you're proud of?

That's just too far.

1) Forrest joined the KKK a year after it was organized by 6 men in Pulaski, TN.

2) Forrest was a brilliant Civil War General and strategist, rising from the rank of Private to Lt. General.

3) Forrest gave a speech before a group of Blacks in 1875, urging racial reconciliation, and moved away from the KKK, much like Senator Byrd of West Virginia did. Maybe we should also remove any statues of Sen. Byrd.

VN Store

Back