Paul's tax plan

really need to see the whole plan. a lot of the items would be funded under "other" tax programs. so not really a reduction just changing the name of the tax. would also like to see a detailed plan on the budget cuts he proposes, and just like everyone else won't be able to follow through on.

Reactions: 1 person
I've heard one way he would cut spending is by making National Parks privately run instead of by the US Park Service.

Not a fan of that one.

The dems believe cutting the rate of growth is a real cut even by speeding more money that the year before. Brillant

I've heard one way he would cut spending is by making National Parks privately run instead of by the US Park Service.

Not a fan of that one.

agreed. don't want McDonald's signs all over Mt. Rushmore or a Nike Swoosh cut into every Redwood.

Reactions: 3 people
agreed. don't want McDonald's signs all over Mt. Rushmore or a Nike Swoosh cut into every Redwood.

Glad someone else saw that playing out as cynically as I did.

National Parks, on the scale that the US has them, are very rare for any nation. The US has some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the world and this should be protected.

The NPS budget is a drop in the bucket compared to some worthless programs the government is bankrolling. No reason to cut that out.

I was afraid Paul would waffle and go the way of the typical RIHNO. This is why Senators make horrible Presidents.

Some major tax breaks would remain in place, according to Lundeen, including the deductions for charitable contributions, home mortgage interest, contributions to retirement plans. The payments that employers make for health insurance premiums would also remain untaxed. And the Earned Income Tax Credit, which can supplement the income of the working poor, would remain in place, Paul's column said.

Glad someone else saw that playing out as cynically as I did.

National Parks, on the scale that the US has them, are very rare for any nation. The US has some of the most beautiful natural scenery in the world and this should be protected.

The NPS budget is a drop in the bucket compared to some worthless programs the government is bankrolling. No reason to cut that out.

yup.

The budget problem in America is un-fixable. At least democratically. Without slashing social security and medicare, there's no way to balance the budget and remain intact as a nation (military, infrastructure, etc.). And nobody is proposing anything that would significantly affect SS and medicare. They would be eaten alive.

The budget problem in America is un-fixable. At least democratically. Without slashing social security and medicare, there's no way to balance the budget and remain intact as a nation (military, infrastructure, etc.). And nobody is proposing anything that would significantly affect SS and medicare. They would be eaten alive.

we need to take a hard look at our budget. i don't believe there isn't a way, but like you said no one is going to take that step. There are too many fingers in the pie, by the time some low level grunt gets the study done and it gets passed up the chain too many people will have made changes so that it never works out in the end.

I'm really trying to make sense of this. I can't.

Anyone translate?

Let me make it real simple for you..

Year 1 you spend 1.00 and you are projecting a 1.00 inceeas in the future
Year 2 you spend. 1.50.. Instead of 2.00

Dems believe you are cutting spending by .50 even if the true money spent goes up by .50

I want to see the details of the government spending he plans to cut. This will make or break his plan all together.

Here is the problem I see with his plan Some major tax breaks would remain in place If we go to a flat tax do it with no deductions or loopholes. Make it plain and simple.

Here is the problem I see with his plan Some major tax breaks would remain in place If we go to a flat tax do it with no deductions or loopholes. Make it plain and simple.

The ones listed seem to be. Charitable donations, home mortgage, money put into retirement accounts..

Exactly, this and maintaining the EIT is where he is losing my support.

Complaining that the tax system is filled with too many loopholes allowing the wealthy to avoid paying taxes .. and then proposing to revise the tax system so that the wealthy pay even less?

Iortej0.gif

Reactions: 3 people
The ones listed seem to be. Charitable donations, home mortgage, money put into retirement accounts..

If we go to a new tax plan, why screw it up from the start. His plan does allow for charitable donations, home mortgage, money put into retirement accounts to be deducted and as Hog posted the Earned Income Tax Credit will stay in place.

I already see where this would be heading. Congress will be giving more and more tax credits .
If it is a flat tax, make it a flat tax. We all should be able to do our taxes on 1 sheet of paper. Keep it simple.

If we go to a new tax plan, why screw it up from the start. His plan does allow for charitable donations, home mortgage, money put into retirement accounts to be deducted and as Hog posted the Earned Income Tax Credit will stay in place.

I already see where this would be heading. Congress will be giving more and more tax credits .
If it is a flat tax, make it a flat tax. We all should be able to do our taxes on 1 sheet of paper. Keep it simple.

Completely agree about the EIT.

really need to see the whole plan. a lot of the items would be funded under "other" tax programs. so not really a reduction just changing the name of the tax. would also like to see a detailed plan on the budget cuts he proposes, and just like everyone else won't be able to follow through on.

If you haven't seen his full program, why do you claim there's a lot of hidden taxes?

I was afraid Paul would waffle and go the way of the typical RIHNO. This is why Senators make horrible Presidents.

How's he waffling? As far as I'm aware that's always been in his plan.

Social security isn't a problem with our budget. Social security has actually helped the budget.

I believe he also said only those earning over 50k would be taxed at all. Kinda strange.

VN Store

Back