Yet another chunck of the Antartic is Breaking

volholio

Yet another Antarctic ice mass is becoming destabilized, scientists report - The Washington Post

"What’s particularly notable about the new study is the apparent rapid onset of the change. The researchers say the region is now losing on the order of 56 gigatons of ice per year — a gigaton is a billion metric tons — and that there appears to have been “a remarkable rate of acceleration in dynamic mass loss since about 2009 that must have been near-simultaneous across multiple basins and glaciers.”

Indeed, the paper suggests these southern Antarctic peninsula glaciers may have only begun their retreat. The glaciers may now be unstable, says the paper, because some of their ice shelves currently rest on bedrock that is not only below sea level, but slopes further downhill as one moves inland.

To understand the problem here, it’s important to visualize what scientists call the ice shelf’s “grounding line” – the area where the ice mass simultaneously intersects with the bedrock below it and also the ocean in front of it. “The geometry of the bedrock … it’s below sea level and it dips inland” in this region, explains Bamber. “That geometry means that the grounding line is potentially unstable.”

“It only needs to change position slightly for it to move quite rapidly, and for a sustained period, further inland,” Bamber continues. “That’s the theory behind the instability of these sectors of West Antarctica and the peninsula.”

Since this is supposedly affecting the earth's gravitational field, will I be lighter or heavier when these 50 gajillion tons of ice melt?

All this poking fun of global warming is really starting to piss me off. It's really happening. How else would you explain the FACT that my ice keeps melting in my sweet tea. You can't!!

Reactions: 3 people
All this poking fun of global warming is really starting to piss me off. It's really happening. How else would you explain the FACT that my ice keeps melting in my sweet tea. You can't!!

I have a confession to make. This morning at 4am my AC kicked on. Now I am a true believer in global warming and climate change.

Lol JK its just May in Florida!

I guess this explains why it was only 55 degrees yesterday in W.TN.

No no you got it all wrong. Global Warming/Climate Change don't really impact us much here in America. 10 years with no Florida hurricanes kind of puts that debate to bed. No you see it "might" hurt people in other parts of the world. You know like walnuts "omega 3 fish oil" lower your cholesterol or broccoli "might" let you live longer.. Wait..fish oil was debunked wasn't it? Oh science you sneaky son of a b!

So what the climate fear mongers want is for Americans to become really concerned with it so much that WE start modifying our behavior to offset the behavior of others in the world. These modified behaviors will be a wellspring of new hipstard tree hugging business opportunities.

It's kind of like riding a bike to work instead of driving because the Congo had a bad rainy season..that's basically what these folks want. American's stop polluting so we can offset all those developing countries who are polluting. But wait why don't those countries stop their bad practices? Oh yeah, because it "isn't fair" for us, who have gone through our massive pollution development phase, to tell others not to do it.

Also 99.9% of the climate change fear mongers would get b#tchslapped if they attempted to go to any of these turd world developing countries and ask them to stop contributing to man made climate change. It's easier to play the bleeding heart strings of America liberals.

Reactions: 1 person
Does this mean the water will be cold in the Caribbean this week?

Yet another Antarctic ice mass is becoming destabilized, scientists report - The Washington Post

"What’s particularly notable about the new study is the apparent rapid onset of the change. The researchers say the region is now losing on the order of 56 gigatons of ice per year — a gigaton is a billion metric tons — and that there appears to have been “a remarkable rate of acceleration in dynamic mass loss since about 2009 that must have been near-simultaneous across multiple basins and glaciers.”

Indeed, the paper suggests these southern Antarctic peninsula glaciers may have only begun their retreat. The glaciers may now be unstable, says the paper, because some of their ice shelves currently rest on bedrock that is not only below sea level, but slopes further downhill as one moves inland.

To understand the problem here, it’s important to visualize what scientists call the ice shelf’s “grounding line” – the area where the ice mass simultaneously intersects with the bedrock below it and also the ocean in front of it. “The geometry of the bedrock … it’s below sea level and it dips inland” in this region, explains Bamber. “That geometry means that the grounding line is potentially unstable.”

“It only needs to change position slightly for it to move quite rapidly, and for a sustained period, further inland,” Bamber continues. “That’s the theory behind the instability of these sectors of West Antarctica and the peninsula.”

Attachments

• 54549494.jpg
    54549494.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 5 people
Since this is supposedly affecting the earth's gravitational field, will I be lighter or heavier when these 50 gajillion tons of ice melt?

You'll be lighter. Not because of altered gravitational force. Because of buoyancy.

No no you got it all wrong. Global Warming/Climate Change don't really impact us much here in America. 10 years with no Florida hurricanes kind of puts that debate to bed. No you see it "might" hurt people in other parts of the world. You know like walnuts "omega 3 fish oil" lower your cholesterol or broccoli "might" let you live longer.. Wait..fish oil was debunked wasn't it? Oh science you sneaky son of a b!

So what the climate fear mongers want is for Americans to become really concerned with it so much that WE start modifying our behavior to offset the behavior of others in the world. These modified behaviors will be a wellspring of new hipstard tree hugging business opportunities.

It's kind of like riding a bike to work instead of driving because the Congo had a bad rainy season..that's basically what these folks want. American's stop polluting so we can offset all those developing countries who are polluting. But wait why don't those countries stop their bad practices? Oh yeah, because it "isn't fair" for us, who have gone through our massive pollution development phase, to tell others not to do it.

Also 99.9% of the climate change fear mongers would get b#tchslapped if they attempted to go to any of these turd world developing countries and ask them to stop contributing to man made climate change. It's easier to play the bleeding heart strings of America liberals.

Pollution guilt.

So both the north pole and the Antarctic are melting inexorably and the CO2 in the atmosphere hasn't been at this concentration in over a million years . . . and you all don't think we're gonna feel the repercussions of this?

Fair enough.

So both the north pole and the Antarctic are melting inexorably and the CO2 in the atmosphere hasn't been at this concentration in over a million years . . . and you all don't think we're gonna feel the repercussions of this?

Fair enough.

Who kept the records from a million years ago? And how were the carbon numbers that high that many years ago without global warming.

the sky is falling!!!! Oh wait no its not. As you were .

Every climate farce panic in the past 100 years is the reason that Americans don't care about the alarmists. Wolf has been cried out.

Reactions: 2 people

Fair enough.

Please explain how we can change the outcome.

VN Store

Back