Social Justice Warrior attacks parents that read their kids bedtime stories

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Professor: If You Read To Your Kids, You

According to a professor at the University of Warwick in England, parents who read to their kids should be thinking about how they’re “unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children” by doing so.

In an interview with ABC Radio last week, philosopher and professor Adam Swift said that since “bedtime stories activities . . . do indeed foster and produce . . . [desired] familial relationship goods,” he wouldn’t want to ban them, but that parents who “engage in bedtime-stories activities” should definitely at least feel kinda bad about it sometimes:

“I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally,” he said.

The SJW's natural instinct is to not strive to build up the number of traditional/nuclear families and lift children up in that manner, but to instead destroy the family and bring everyone down to the same level. But even this guy couldn't ignore the fail in that line of thinking.

At one point, Swift even flirted with the idea of “simply abolishing the family” as a way of “solving the social justice problem” because “there would be a more level playing field” if we did, but ultimately concluded that “it is in the child’s interest to be parented” and that “parenting a child makes for what we call a distinctive and special contribution to the flourishing and well-being of adults.”

Reactions: 2 people
And that's why I'm a JBT cop. Mommy didn't read me "Green Eggs and Ham."

He has a good point. Im thinking about refusing meals to my kids in the future. Better yet, just turning them out in the woods

He has a good point. Im thinking about refusing meals to my kids in the future. Better yet, just turning them out in the woods

My kids are lucky their momma was there, I had similar thoughts a time or two.

Yeah it's just the left contributing to the divorce rate and the child abandonment rate. If you seriously believe that you're part of the problem, tool.

It's the left's aversion to personal responsibility and promotion of the victim mentality that contributes.

If your bedtime story includes kids in Africa that don't have green beans to eat, does that square it?

Oh yes.

The biggest thing I had going for me was my dads need of labor on the farm. Otherwise I might have been cast out into the wild.

Great feeling ain't it.

I needed farm hands. Thats why you are still here.

Great feeling ain't it.

I needed farm hands. Thats why you are still here.

It was expected in Hog's case. One gets that feeling when their parents feed them with a slingshot and they have to share a water bowl with the dog. :)

It was expected in Hog's case. One gets that feeling when their parents feed them with a slingshot and they have to share a water bowl with the dog. :)

My mom did call the dinner table the "trough".

Since I first read this guy's take, I've been wondering if this isn't satire. His name is "Adam Swift". Jonathan Swift if one of the most famous satirists in history.

At least I hope it's satire. Otherwise it's just incredibly sad.

Adam Swift

I recently did an interview for The Philosopher's Zone on Australian radio. Careless polemical journalism around that piece has seriously misrepresented my views and led to a barrage of abusive emails.

For the record: My work with Harry Brighouse on Family Values: The Ethics of Parent-Child Relationships (Princeton UP 2014) is in large part about how vitally important for children are informal interactions like bedtime stories, and many other forms of loving help, from parents. We would never discourage anybody from reading their children bedtime stories, nor criticize them for doing so. Where parents are not willing or able to provide that kind of help, then they should be encouraged to do so, and where necessary supported in doing so.

We argue that the various means by which parents confer advantage on their children are not all equally important for loving family life. In our view the grounds for protecting elite private education, for example, are considerably less weighty. We also think it is good occasionally to be mindful of the children who, due to factors entirely beyond their control, are disadvantaged because of lack of loving attention from parents. Of course many will disagree with those views. But if you have read or heard that we object to bedtime stories, or want to create a level playing-field between children in different families, then you have read or heard someone who has misunderstood our theory.

OK, I only read the excerpts in the OP but is this serious? I mean, it's not like some English version of The Onion? I simply can't take that seriously. I mean, that's something you'd expect to hear straight out of the mouth of the Handicapper General's office from Harrison Bergeron.

Wow..just wow.

These are the type of "thinkers" that will lead to the extinction of the human race.

Reactions: 1 person
This is straight out of the liberal playbook. Instead of raising people up for equality they want to beat others down for it.

11258480_10152919317750888_7689124105438875582_n.jpg

VN Store

Back