House bill would cap expenses for ex-presidents

Pension and protection for about 5-6 years and that's it.

Pension and protection for about 5-6 years and that's it.

On the pension, I agree. Ex-presidents have multiple opportunities to make money after leaving office. On SS protection, however, I think they should have it for life.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree mainly, but would add in travel for that as well. Only because of the incredible pains that taking commercial or other aircraft services would create for everyone else.

But limiting that to a reasonably cheap aircraft to operate.

SS for life and 2 dedicated planes set aside by the military to transport then when need be. Not one plane per president, but a 2 that can be used between them all when need be.

They should cap ex presidents.

Like give them a trucker cap emblazoned with "Ex CIC", a slap on the back, and a sincere "don't let the door hit ya where to good Lord split ya", as they put a boot to their arse.

They can save a whopping $3.5 million with this. Never mind the hundreds of billions of waste.

Well done, Congress. Well done.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't have a problem with them getting SS. Private bodyguards just would not have the access to instant information that could be vital that SS would have. Sorry, its just an expense we have to take on.

Reactions: 2 people
Meanwhile, some D-members are looking to give themselves a raise

Hoyer Supports Congressional Pay Raise

arguing that the high cost of living in the District of Columbia will lead to a situation where only wealthy people can afford to serve in Congress.

BS.. Move outside DC if you can't live on that salary.

“I don’t see a cost-of-living adjustment as a raise but staying even,” Hoyer said.

It's a raise, call it what it is. Raises aren't given to employees when the company isn't doing well. So why should a raise be given to a group of government members right now?

I don't have a problem with them getting SS. Private bodyguards just would not have the access to instant information that could be vital that SS would have. Sorry, its just an expense we have to take on.
It would give the country a black eye to have a ex president kidnapped or murdered because he was without a guard.

On the pension, I agree. Ex-presidents have multiple opportunities to make money after leaving office. On SS protection, however, I think they should have it for life.

Go figure.

Obama restores lifetime Secret Service for former presidents - CBS News

In 1994, as a cost-saving measure, Congress acted to limit protection for future former presidents and spouses to just ten years after they left office.

The 1994 measure exempted then-President Bill Clinton and first applied to George W. Bush and all his successors.

I'm OK with SS protection for life and for use of planes for travel. I agree that it should only be 2 planes to be used between them. Pension cut off after about 5 years since they can make so much money with speeches.

I agree with this though. DDuncan said it best that a former President that was kidnapped or killed would be a serious problem for the nation as a whole.

I disagree, after say 8 years their intelligence value would be nil. It might be an embarrassment but they all have enough money to pay for their own protection if they feel it's needed.

True. A lot of ex presidents SS is augmented by active duty military so they are getting it on the cheap.

I disagree, after say 8 years their intelligence value would be nil. It might be an embarrassment but they all have enough money to pay for their own protection if they feel it's needed.

Has nothing to do with intelligence value and more to do with the symbolic nature of who it is.

I agree they may have enough money to hire out their own security, but as a minimum the USSS is covered under law to investigate the threats whereas a private company may not be.

Has nothing to do with intelligence value and more to do with the symbolic nature of who it is.

I agree they may have enough money to hire out their own security, but as a minimum the USSS is covered under law to investigate the threats whereas a private company may not be.

Maybe it's just that I don't care that much. Hell we could make them take "the long walk" after they leave office for all I care.

VN Store

Back