Proof that govt could give a rip about your safety: It's all about revenue

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
States Look to Tax E-Cigarettes

So you have people choosing to use a safer alternative to cigarettes and the states are kicking and screaming because they are now losing revenue from their egregious cigarette taxes. Remember Eric Garner? They states have shown that they would go as far as to kill you if you don't pay them cigarette taxes.

With an eye on the twin concerns of public health and raising revenue, Utah is one of many states considering taxing electronic cigarettes, the battery-powered devices that deliver vaporized nicotine and provide the look and feel of smoking without the smoke and tar of traditional tobacco products. Gov. Gary Herbert, a Republican, sparked this year’s debate when he included a footnote in his budget counting on $10 million from taxing e-cigarettes.

“I feel strongly that we should tax electronic cigarettes similar to the way we tax other tobacco products,” said Herbert, calling it a “public health issue.” Herbert and supportive lawmakers say a tax would slow the growing use of electronic cigarettes while raising revenue for the state.

“There are some who think these new products are not harmful, but just like traditional cigarettes, they contain nicotine and other toxic and addictive substances,” Herbert said. “Flavoring and marketing targeted to make these products enticing to youth is particularly concerning.” Without being specific, Herbert called for a tax on e-cigarettes “similar” to the taxes on cigarettes, cigars and snuff.

But e-cigarette users say the devices should not be subject to the excise taxes levied on traditional cigarettes. They argue that the devices are healthier, and liken them to nicotine patches and nicotine gum, which help smokers reduce their dependence on cigarettes and are not subject to excise taxes.

Our government would tax air if they could, and I mean both sides.

Wut? A Republican wanting to add a new tax. That cannot be correct, per the vast majority of VN Politics Forum Posters only Dems add or increase taxes. All Republicans hates taxes and would never to such a thing.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think they should be taxed, but LOL at the people that think they are healthy.

The tobacco companies messed up years ago. When the first state sued them, either FL or MS they should have pulled all of their products off the shelves in that state.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course they want it taxed. How else will they continue to get paid the next they throw a hissy fit and stop working?

You've got jack legs mixing their own flavor blends and etc. without regulation. Who cares if they tax them? I don't because I don't use them.
As part of the largest tax increase in history the POS Obamacare threw in a tax on tanning beds.
The government just wants to get deeper and deeper into everyone's pocket. It's like a strung out drug addict wanting more ... More.... More

You've got jack legs mixing their own flavor blends and etc. without regulation. Who cares if they tax them? I don't because I don't use them.
As part of the largest tax increase in history the POS Obamacare threw in a tax on tanning beds.
The government just wants to get deeper and deeper into everyone's pocket. It's like a strung out drug addict wanting more ... More.... More

Great set of principles you've got there, CP.

What is a pleb?

Short for Plebian. The type of ****lord who stays in the left lane at the speed limit. The one who shamelessly cuts in Wal-Mart lines. The sort who asks "Y'all got Bud Light?" at bars in America. The type who Tivo's "The Bachelor." The one who asks, "Just where in the hell does the McRib go before it's "back?"

Basically, 90% of America.

Short for Plebian. The type of ****lord who stays in the left lane at the speed limit. The one who shamelessly cuts in Wal-Mart lines. The sort who asks "Y'all got Bud Light?" at bars in America. The type who Tivo's "The Bachelor." The one who asks, "Just where in the hell does the McRib go before it's "back?"

Basically, 90% of America.
Or you know, the common folk.

I think they should tax the hell out of alcoholic beverages, maybe people will quit drinking.

Alcohol, smokes, dip, twinkies, fried anything..tax the sh!! out of it. If people are going to indulge in stuff that harms your body lets get some tax revenue flowing to fund their future "free" healthcare.

I like the idea of massive taxes on what I would consider non essential items.

Last edited:
Alcohol, smokes, dip, twinkies, fried anything..tax the sh!! out of it. If people are going to indulge in stuff that harms your body lets get some tax revenue flowing to fund their future "free" healthcare.

I like the idea of massive taxes on what I would consider non essential items.

Hey, for what it's worth, if I'm ever diagnosed with late stage liver cancer, I'll probably just swan dive into the Grand Canyon and attempt to chug a whole bottle of JW Blue Label on the way down.

Spare us the treatment bills.

Hey, for what it's worth, if I'm ever diagnosed with late stage liver cancer, I'll probably just swan dive into the Grand Canyon and attempt to chug a whole bottle of JW Blue Label on the way down.

Spare us the treatment bills.

I too would attack my liver cancer vigorously with alcohol...but hold the jump I hate heights!

VN Store

Back