Dallas, Tx

utvots

You gotta love Dallas
The City of Dallas, Texas passed an ordinance stating that if a driver is pulled over by law enforcement and is not able to provide proof of insurance, the car is towed. To retrieve the car after being impounded, they must show proof of insurance to have the car released. This has made it easy for the City of Dallas to remove uninsured cars. Shortly after the "No Insurance" ordinance was passed, the Dallas impound lots began to fill up and were full after only nine days.
Over 80% of the impounded cars were driven by illegals.
Now, not only must they provide proof of insurance to have their car released, they have to pay for the cost of the tow, a $350 fine , and $20 for every day their car is kept in the lot.
Guess what?
Accident rates have gone down 47% and Dallas' solution gets uninsured drivers off the road WITHOUT making them show proof of nationality.
I wonder how the Holder's US Justice Department will get around this one.
Just brings tears to your eyes doesn't it?
GO Dallas

Reactions: 4 people
You gotta love Dallas
The City of Dallas, Texas passed an ordinance stating that if a driver is pulled over by law enforcement and is not able to provide proof of insurance, the car is towed. To retrieve the car after being impounded, they must show proof of insurance to have the car released. This has made it easy for the City of Dallas to remove uninsured cars. Shortly after the "No Insurance" ordinance was passed, the Dallas impound lots began to fill up and were full after only nine days.
Now, not only must they provide proof of insurance to have their car released, they have to pay for the cost of the tow, a $350 fine , and $20 for every day their car is kept in the lot.
Guess what?
Accident rates have gone down 47% and Dallas' solution gets uninsured drivers off the road WITHOUT making them show proof of nationality.
GO Dallas

I think its a good idea. $350 tow fee is probably an excessive fine subject to easy challenge. $150 or $200 would have the same effect and more easily pass constitutional muster.

As to your underlying point, the issue is not illegals who are uninsured. There are plenty of legal citizens who drive uninsured, everywhere. Its a question of the poor driving uninsured, not illegals.

Reactions: 2 people
"You don't pay for a privatized service?"

"We'll take your property!"

Signed, big government.

Also, this law is insane. You know, in Texas that if your vehicle is in the lot for 45 days, it becomes their property? This of course becomes a struggle to pay when the impound fee grows at $100 per day. I know this is clearly your cause to champion racism because you might be a piece of ****, but it's also clear that you like big government.

The worst subhuman.

Reactions: 6 people
I think its a good idea. $350 tow fee is probably an excessive fine subject to easy challenge. $150 or $200 would have the same effect and more easily pass constitutional muster.

As to your underlying point, the issue is not illegals who are uninsured. There are plenty of legal citizens who drive uninsured, everywhere. Its a question of the poor driving uninsured, not illegals.

Agreed. What bearing does the size of the fine have to do with its' constitutionality though?

And as to the second part of your statement, what difference does it make whether or not one can "afford" (emphasis mine) to buy insurance or not? It is part of the privilege of driving to be insured. If you can't pay the freight....

Neither of the above are flamebait, but rather seeking your opinion

Signed, big government.

Also, this law is insane. You know, in Texas that if your vehicle is in the lot for 45 days, it becomes their property? This of course becomes a struggle to pay when the impound fee grows at $100 per day. I know this is clearly your cause to champion racism because you might be a piece of ****, but it's also clear that you like big government.

The worst subhuman.

Ever had your property destroyed by an uninsured person?

In Arkansas.

350.00 fine plus 100.00 in court cost.

When I lived in Tennessee you didn't need proof until you went to court whether it's a traffic ticket or accident. Not sure if it's the same now.

Signed, big government.

The worst subhuman.

Uninsured drivers get what they deserve.

In Arkansas.

350.00 fine plus 100.00 in court cost.

When I lived in Tennessee you didn't need proof until you went to court whether it's a traffic ticket or accident. Not sure if it's the same now.

In Tennessee where I am located if I get pulled over without insurance I have the opportunity to produce proof of insurance in court.

That being said the cost of uninsured illegal drivers is becoming a huge concern. It's costing legal insured drivers tons of $$ in higher premiums. I'm not sure impounding cars is a good approach.

Agreed. What bearing does the size of the fine have to do with its' constitutionality though?

And as to the second part of your statement, what difference does it make whether or not one can "afford" (emphasis mine) to buy insurance or not? It is part of the privilege of driving to be insured. If you can't pay the freight....

Neither of the above are flamebait, but rather seeking your opinion

Eighth Amendment: Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Reactions: 1 person
And as to the second part, yes, I agree, insurance is a requirement to drive. It should be enforced pretty rigidly, imo. As is, we all pay more for uninsured coverage. That just shifts the cost to us.

Signed, big government.

The worst subhuman.

Nothing about this is racist. It's about paying insurance on vehicles. Stay on track.

Reactions: 1 person

Signed, big government.

The worst subhuman.

Are you dubious of the accident reduction stat of 47% from the op?

Seriously, do you really think a city as large as Dallas could see a 47% drop rate in accidents because (and this number is if the police get every single uninsured driver) 18% of the people who are uninsured drivers are taken off the road?

Like, really?

You gotta love Dallas
Guess what?
GO Dallas

snopes.com: Dallas Uninsured Motorist Crackdown

VN Store

Back