Obama to Ban Military-Stule weapons for LEOs

Thoughts? Also, misspelled style in title. Sorry.

U.S. Cracking Down on 'Militarization' of Local Police - NBC News

I support the ban on transfers of tracked vehicles. APCs like the BearCat are more logical for police operations anyways. It also mentions banning bayonets and weapons over .50 caliber which I also support as well as weaponized aircraft. I do question the idea why grenade launchers are banned. Maybe someone more experienced than me can answer but I thought that is how you deploy tear gas canisters?

Reactions: 1 person
Good.

We have a military for the use of ... military equipment.

Police do not need MRAPs.

What exactly is so wrong with the police having armored vehicles?

I can maybe understand them not needing bayonets and .50 caliber machine guns.

What exactly is so wrong with the police having armored vehicles?

I can maybe understand them not needing bayonets and .50 caliber machine guns.

They don't need $750,000 MRAPs.

I could understand armoring the doors of police cruisers in the event of a shootout and they need cover. That's fine.

But an MRAP? You serious, Clark?

Good thing I sold my MP AR to a local deputy so he can defend himself as they are only issued a .12 ga and a .40 cal glock.

I could understand armoring the doors of police cruisers in the event of a shootout and they need cover. That's fine.

Don't think they need the hulking MRAPs the military uses but again I think a Bearcat is reasonable.

Police have been using armored vehicles for generations. It's only recently become an issue because the MRAP has become one of the symbols of Bush's "illegal war in Iraq".

If we're talking about the transport of troops LEOs, you can buy a brand-new armored van for $50-100k or a used armored truck for $40k.

What use would a police force have for an MRAP that an armored EcoVan or a armored truck doesn't meet? How many IEDs are police negotiating?

If we're talking about the transport of troops LEOs, you can buy a brand-new armored van for $50-100k or a used armored truck for $40k.

What use would a police force have for an MRAP that an armored EcoVan or a armored truck doesn't meet? How many IEDs are police negotiating?

Are you worried about the cost or are you worried about the symbolism?

Police have been using armored vehicles for generations. It's only recently become an issue because the MRAP has become one of the symbols of Bush's "illegal war in Iraq".

The MRAP is fine for urban military engagements because it's meant to handle a 120mm round detonating.

This isn't a reality for domestic police.

They aren't even really contending with fragmentation grenades or RPGs. They don't need military-grade armored vehicles.

A used armored truck that Brinks used would be fine. $40k. No more wasting of taxpayer money and no more trumped-up pseudomilitary attitudes for cops.

It's a win/win/win.

The MRAP is fine for urban military engagements because it's meant to handle a 120mm round detonating.

This isn't a reality for domestic police.

They aren't even really contending with fragmentation grenades or RPGs. They don't need military-grade armored vehicles.

A used armored truck that Brinks used would be fine. $40k. No more wasting of taxpayer money and no more trumped-up pseudomilitary attitudes for cops.

It's a win/win/win.

Except most bank trucks can easily be penetrated by high-caliber rounds.

Or they get the MRAPs for free...

Both.

You think there is a legit need for MRAPs?

Perhaps not for the Tracy City, TN PD but I could see their value for a large metro police force.

As a veteran, I don't look at a vehicle that is defensive in nature and see it as an offensive threat. It's presence on a street corner is no more or less impressive than a black van with S.W.A.T. emblazoned on it's sides.

On second thought, it could be less impressive since you know the SWAT van is loaded with men and women who have received special training and who carry a different weapons loadout than the One-Bullet-Barneys riding around in the MRAP.

Badges don't grant extra rights?

No, but as far as I know owning an armored vehicle isn't illegal.

If we're talking the Class III stuff that's a different matter and I think the happy switch is unnecessary for the vast majority of police applications.

Nothing in this world is free. You can't possibly think that.

I'm not going to go through the same talk (again) that I have gone though multiple times before. Paraphrased, I think there are very limited times that police would (and possibly should) need an armored vehicle. However, not all of them do and most would sit around and rust anyway.

And yes, all the police had to do is pay for the transport to and from the location and that was it. The taxpayer already paid for it once so in essence, it was free.

No, but as far as I know owning an armored vehicle isn't illegal.

If we're talking the Class III stuff that's a different matter and I think the happy switch is unnecessary for the vast majority of police applications.

I agree and anything that is out of "police applications" should be handled on approval of the governor and by the National Guard.

That's just my opinion. Leave the military to the military.

VN Store

Back