The GOP Is Dying Off. Literally.

The main takeaway I got is that republicans have got to pull back on social issues if they want to stay competitive in presidential elections. Gen X and Millennial voters tend to be pro gay marriage, pro weed legalization, pro choice, and are mostly secular. The GOP really needs to stop pandering so much to the religious right and embrace a Libertarian view on social issues.

Rand Paul imo is the only GOP candidate that can beat Hilliary in the general.

Reactions: 4 people
This is true but not new info by any means.

Generally
Youth are predominantly Liberal, middle aged are moderate, and older people are conservative.

Although I do agree with you that Republicans would do well to ditch the religious right and appeal to more libertarian principles.

Reactions: 4 people
I would be fine with them adopting a more Libertarian view if they would apply that to business and quit doing the Chamber of Commerce's bidding. It's time to bring jobs back to America and stop the lobbyists.

Reactions: 2 people
The main takeaway I got is that republicans have got to pull back on social issues if they want to stay competitive in presidential elections. Gen X and Millennial voters tend to be pro gay marriage, pro weed legalization, pro choice, and are mostly secular. The GOP really needs to stop pandering so much to the religious right and embrace a Libertarian view on social issues.

Rand Paul imo is the only GOP candidate that can beat Hilliary in the general.

Did McCain and Romney run on social issues? If they did I missed that part of their campaigns. Republicans losing has zero to do with social issues and more with them nominating Dem light candidates and when over half of the American people only want to know who will give them the most free stuff Dems will usually win that battle.

Reactions: 8 people
Did McCain and Romney run on social issues? If they did I missed that part of their campaigns. Republicans losing has zero to do with social issues and more with them nominating Dem light candidates and when over half of the American people only want to know who will give them the most free stuff Dems will usually win that battle.

This.

Romney didn't run on social issues, but it ultimately cost him the election anyway. I think that's the difference.

And no, it's not just "giving people free stuff."

Reactions: 1 person
Romney didn't run on social issues, but it ultimately cost him the election anyway. I think that's the difference.

And no, it's not just "giving people free stuff."

Social issues didn't cost Romney the election. Being a piss poor candidate who couldn't lay out any details of his plan cost him the election.

The changing demographics diluting the voting power of the GOP are undeniable. And it is leading to two things:

1) It causes the GOP to resort to things like voter suppression to try to minimize the damage. ID laws, cutting early voting. These are both things that are designed to reduce voting by groups more likely to vote for Dems.

2) It causes more shrieking and stomping of feet by the hard core Republicans. As they see their power inevitably shrink, it causes them to resent everyone else, and it makes them increasingly vitriolic in their rhetoric. Out of desperation they think the answer is to go further right, not to the center to attract more moderates.

Which just makes it worse.

Consider the electoral map. The population centers voted for Obama. The GOP barely won at all with Bush, and even that was questionable of course. In the Senate, the GOPers are by and large far more moderate than their counterparts in the House, because they have to appeal to an entire state. In House districts, the populations tend to be more homogenous of course, and so the far right types can win those seats. But they have a harder time competing at the state level, and a virtually impossible time competing at the national level.

Reactions: 5 people
Well, that too, but that "47 percent" comment screwed him.

It wasn't good but it wasn't the nail in the coffin. It was the fact he never once laid out any details of his tax plan. He had many opportunities to put Obama away after the first debate but wouldn't give any details, hell he could have said almost anything true or not. He could have hammered Obama during the Candy debate but chose not to.

Social issues didn't cost him.

Reactions: 3 people
The changing demographics diluting the voting power of the GOP are undeniable. And it is leading to two things:

1) It causes the GOP to resort to things like voter suppression to try to minimize the damage. ID laws, cutting early voting. These are both things that are designed to reduce voting by groups more likely to vote for Dems.

2) It causes more shrieking and stomping of feet by the hard core Republicans. As they see their power inevitably shrink, it causes them to resent everyone else, and it makes them increasingly vitriolic in their rhetoric. Out of desperation they think the answer is to go further right, not to the center to attract more moderates.

Which just makes it worse.

Consider the electoral map. The population centers voted for Obama. The GOP barely won at all with Bush, and even that was questionable of course. In the Senate, the GOPers are by and large far more moderate than their counterparts in the House, because they have to appeal to an entire state. In House districts, the populations tend to be more homogenous of course, and so the far right types can win those seats. But they have a harder time competing at the state level, and a virtually impossible time competing at the national level.

And, as the country moves away from religion (which I'm not suggesting is a good thing), the GOP will be forced to adapt to a policy that isn't based on religious beliefs - which will be near impossible.

And, as the country moves away from religion (which I'm not suggesting is a good thing), the GOP will be forced to adapt to a policy that isn't based on religious beliefs - which will be near impossible.

When the baby boomers die off we'll see a change.

It wasn't good but it wasn't the nail in the coffin. It was the fact he never once laid out any details of his tax plan. He had many opportunities to put Obama away after the first debate but wouldn't give any details, hell he could have said almost anything true or not. He could have hammered Obama during the Candy debate but chose not to.

Social issues didn't cost him.

His social stance didn't help him, the 47% comment hurt him terribly, and his "Well... we have a frame work of what we want the tax plan to look like" "Can you tell us a little more about your plan Mitt?" " Abslutely... It consists of a working frame that we are going to build off of" That is absolutely what did him in.

Mitt was a piss poor candidate to begin with. I agree with what someone said earlier. Rand Paul has the best potential from the GOP pool to win the election. Now will the GOP memebers realize that or are they going to try and put another Bush up?

Reactions: 2 people
The two religious issues are gay rights and abortion. The 20 week abortion ban is popular. Gay marriage is a popular stance but so is religious liberty. It's clear liberals want to punish religious institutions for its opposition to abortion and gay marriage. Attacking religious institutions will not be popular with moderates.

Nah. The GOP has an overall social issue perception problem. I mean people actually think the GOP was the KKK back in the day.

VN Store

Back