3D gun blueprints

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Since I got dragged in here today I figured I'd get some opinions on this. SIAP.

It’s three years since the files to 3D-print a gun were published online by Cody Wilson. Soon after he received a letter from the State Department demanding the files be removed from the internet—and now he’s fighting that under the argument of free speech.

New Legal Case Supports 3D-Printed Gun Blueprints Under Free Speech

Since I got dragged in here today I figured I'd get some opinions on this. SIAP.

New Legal Case Supports 3D-Printed Gun Blueprints Under Free Speech

Honestly it looks to me where actually setting out how you CAN print out a 3D is legal. What would actually happen from there get's more iffy. There are provisions for making a weapon for "personal use" but it gets pretty illegal from there. From ATF:

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.
The GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include the following:
… (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive: (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Proliferation of such technology is probably going to come under a lot more scrutiny but I see very limited ability in actually prohibiting the "how to" being made available...at least as I understand current law.

Reactions: 1 person
Somehow along the way the State Department got involved in the FFL (Federal Firearms License) process. In what should be under the BATFE, the State Department now enforces a fee that you pay to say "I won't export firearms or controlled items." And it's prohibitive enough to keep someone like myself from getting my license.

Which is really stupid as the State Department should have zero say in the matter.

Anyway, the only way they could make this stick is by claiming those 3-D designs are firearms in and of themselves and they are being "exported" by being available on the net to anyone. Otherwise they have zero say in the matter. If they want to make the case this is illegal, they will have to pull the blueprints for every firearm off the internet to keep anyone with a lathe and machinery from making their own firearm.

Honestly it looks to me where actually setting out how you CAN print out a 3D is legal. What would actually happen from there get's more iffy. There are provisions for making a weapon for "personal use" but it gets pretty illegal from there. From ATF:

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.
The GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include the following:
… (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive: (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Proliferation of such technology is probably going to come under a lot more scrutiny but I see very limited ability in actually prohibiting the "how to" being made available...at least as I understand current law.

well done

can you do a NFA trust for me

I don't know why someone would want a 3D printed gun at this point anyway. It sounds like government overreach. I think it's retarded that noise suppressors are so heavily regulated. I can pay a stupid tax after a background check and get one, but if I try to make one and get caught I would spend a few years in jail.

I'm pretty Left, but I don't see how the State Department or anyone else has a leg to stand on in stopping someone from sharing 3D blueprints. Sharing schematics isn't illegal, so why would this be all because fabrication is now easier?

The world is changing.

I'm pretty Left, but I don't see how the State Department or anyone else has a leg to stand on in stopping someone from sharing 3D blueprints. Sharing schematics isn't illegal, so why would this be all because fabrication is now easier?

The world is changing.

International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Want to get your manufacturers FFL? Don’t forget ITAR! | The Law Office of John Pierce, Esq.

Just some links on how the State Department got involved in the firearms business. Along with the hefty fee of $2,250 per year to pinky promise not to send anything ITAR controlled out of the country.

I don't know why someone would want a 3D printed gun at this point anyway. It sounds like government overreach. I think it's retarded that noise suppressors are so heavily regulated. I can pay a stupid tax after a background check and get one, but if I try to make one and get caught I would spend a few years in jail.

Just start a gun trust.

I had never seriously given them any thought, but I'm definitely curious now. Do you have any experience with them?

I've been kicking the idea around for awhile. Done some research and now that my daughter is 21 and can be a trustee think I'm going to do it.

thanks hndog for the link...
I'm not sure about getting one online...I've found out the hard way, in matters requiring legal services, you get what you pay for

thanks hndog for the link...
I'm not sure about getting one online...I've found out the hard way, in matters requiring legal services, you get what you pay for
Yeah, I found advice from a law firm that recommended avoiding the online versions or ones offered from gun stores as they may not be legally valid.

You think being able to construct a gun that cannot be detected by normal means at an airport is a good thing?

Not good, great!

Besides at the most it would be a 1 shot and done gun. The chamber, barrel and most internals still have to be metal of some kind.

VN Store

Back