Amtrak Crash

Yeah. I heard about this on the drive home. Train was going 106 in the 70 stretch and slowed suddenly to 102 at the 50 limit curve. I wonder if engineer was solely at fault or if there was contributory equipment failure.

Yeah. I heard about this on the drive home. Train was going 106 in the 70 stretch and slowed suddenly to 102 at the 50 limit curve. I wonder if engineer was solely at fault or if there was contributory equipment failure.

From what I have read; something to do with the track. It wasn't equipped with some sort of auto braking feature. The NTSB said that the emergency brake had been applied by the engineer. So I don't know.

Terrible tragedy.

I must have missed something. Where is the clear political rhetoric in that article?

From what I have read; something to do with the track. It wasn't equipped with some sort of auto braking feature. The NTSB said that the emergency brake had been applied by the engineer. So I don't know.

Terrible tragedy.

I know that flying, riding a train are statistically much safer than driving a car. The numbers do not lie. However, it makes me nervous to put my life into someone else's hands. I would much rather be in the drivers seat even though I know it is not safer.

Reactions: 1 person
I know that flying, riding a train are statistically much safer than driving a car. The numbers do not lie. However, it makes me nervous to put my life into someone else's hands. I would much rather be in the drivers seat even though I know it is not safer.

I agree. I feel the same way.

It's very difficult for me to relinquish that control.

Democrats bash proposed GOP cuts to Amtrak after crash | TheHill

Democrats on Wednesday bashed a fiscal 2016 spending bill that would cut funding to Amtrak, just hours after one of its trains crashed north of Philadelphia.

@fmanjoo: Technology that might have prevented Tuesday's Amtrak disaster, but the US isn’t spending on infrastructure. This is the technology that might have prevented Tuesday's Amtrak disaster - Vox

@thehill: Singer Cher rips Republicans over Amtrak funding: Singer Cher rips GOP over Amtrak funding | TheHill http://t.co/iDBJa4VyR0

@nationaljournal: White House: Republicans have blocked investments in Amtrak White House: Republicans Have Blocked Investments in Amtrak - NationalJournal.com

@thinkprogress: Currently available technology may have prevented fatal Amtrak crash. But Congress never funded it. Currently Available Technology May Have Prevented Fatal Amtrak Crash. But Congress Never Funded It. | ThinkProgress

Shall I add more?

Edit. I think I will:

@ChrisCuomo: @kaleekreider @PureMitten we have SERIOUS infrastructure issues. They are not sexy issues so they get ignored - at our peril #traincrash

@billdeblasio Congress must increase the federal transportation infrastructure investment to keep us safe. #RebuildRenew

@MotherJones: The Amtrak Crash Hasn’t Stopped Republicans From Trying to Cut Its Funding http://t.co/WBfbkEYlEd

@cher: hrs ago,Republicans chose 2 cut Some of The meager Funds,4 AMTRAK ‼️
They did this EVEN AFTER the Train Crash& loss of Life,last nite‼️
🚅💥🔫

@JamilSmith: The day after a fatal Amtrak derailment, Republicans debated whether to lessen Amtrak's funding. Yes, that's stupid: http://t.co/j7p5nMDSR8

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't have an agenda so I don't care one way or another about anything but factual information.

Well- we are all still waiting on the factual information to come about.

Think you can give it more than an hour before wanting it moved to the pub? I mean it's the only other place it can go, right?

Well- we are all still waiting on the factual information to come about.

Think you can give it more than an hour before wanting it moved to the pub? I mean it's the only other place it can go, right?

I'd much prefer the drivel stay in here.

Did the guy driving the train not know it was a 50 mph turn up ahead? Did he not know what the speed limit around the turn was at the time? Had he not driven that route before where as he would just lay the hammer down & fly 100 mph to the next stop? Sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do w/243 people onboard.

Then why waste your time over here?

It's obvious you have an opinion on the crash.

State it.

My opinion isn't on the crash, it's on slanted rhetoric in general. It's BS from both sides. It's like religion. Everyone has an opinion that can't possibly be wrong.

But you're right, I should just ignore it like usual and not waste the keystrokes.

CE7pxYkVEAEK87u.png

I agree that this is definitely on the engineer..
But if you've ever been in Philly you know that the infrastructure is in ruins. Hell, they don't even fix man-sized pot holes.

Immediately following the crash I saw many media members bashing the Republicans for cutting funding to Amtrak in their proposed budget. So quick to judge in this country. Now we know that the damn conductor had the train going over 100 mph on a set of track not designed to handle speeds higher than 50+.

Amtrak needs $1+ billion from taxpayers every year. How about they just raise prices since it's so popular according to the East Coast liberal elitist media?

VN Store

Back