Tennessee votes to repeal common core standards

I am for this vote. When a grown man, has to go back to school to be taught how the current system is being taught to our children, it is wrong. The idea, I believe, was sound. The execution from the state and federal end, was horribly flawed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Common Core is garbage. It is a system designed to change our thinking as a nation that the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments are not important. I have seen the curriculum first hand for social studies and US History. Make no mistake, the people pushing this stuff fear the citizens of our country that think the government oversteps its authority.

Reactions: 13 people
Common Core is garbage. It is a system designed to change our thinking as a nation that the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments are not important. I have seen the curriculum first hand for social studies and US History. Make no mistake, the people pushing this stuff fear the citizens of our country that think the government oversteps its authority.

Oh dear, 8188 and mrorange are gonna have their panties in a wad over this one.

Reactions: 3 people

Worthy of 2 likes.

Good post.

Given that most Americans have a hard time separating the three branches government, how much time do students these days spend studying history and social studies? 50% of the school day? 80%?

Given that most Americans have a hard time separating the three branches government, how much time do students these days spend studying history and social studies? 50% of the school day? 80%?

When the little amount of social studies that is taught is switched from teaching about the constitution to insignificant events such as the first white man that may have met Native Americans but had no impact on history, that should be very concerning. They went out of their way to find things that are historically insignificant and require the students to write papers on them. It's being implemented to dumb down our children (at least the ones that aren't stupid to begin with).

Reactions: 2 people
Between the DoE, national teachers' unions, NCLB, Common Core and top-heavy local bureaucracies it's no wonder the US education system is quickly becoming a laughingstock. I generally don't think the US should emulate the Euro zone for anything, but their education systems are far better than ours.

I've always laughed at the outrage over common core. It is in fact the entirety of government education that is the problem. Repeal all you want, the Feds still write the standards as well as the text books. We must get the Feds out of education.

Why would you want some politician deciding what your kids are learning? Shouldn't that be left to the parents and faculty?

Reactions: 2 people
I've always laughed at the outrage over common core. It is in fact the entirety of government education that is the problem. Repeal all you want, the Feds still write the standards as well as the text books. We must get the Feds out of education.

Why would you want some politician deciding what your kids are learning? Shouldn't that be left to the parents and faculty?

I would agree with this but then you would have places doing things like teaching creationism instead of science. That's just one subject off the top of my head im sure there are others.

Between the DoE, national teachers' unions, NCLB, Common Core and top-heavy local bureaucracies it's no wonder the US education system is quickly becoming a laughingstock. I generally don't think the US should emulate the Euro zone for anything, but their education systems are far better than ours.

I can mostly agree with this, however you do realize that the countries with the best education systems in Europe, like Finland, have a structure very similar to CC, yes?

Oh dear, 8188 and mrorange are gonna have their panties in a wad over this one.

It's not that I support CC, it's that I don't understand the hatred for it by conservatives who believe it's some kind of government take over. How can the government take over something it already controls?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back