2nd amendment interpretation

sofflavol

il kick u in the vols
today we had a discussion in my american history class in regards to the 2nd amendment. professor wanted to talk about past supreme court judge stevens comments about fixing the 2nd. thought it was super interesting that i got to pick out the loonies in my class that actually think the 2nd should be repealed and the interpretation is wrong. was wonder your guys thoughts on it.

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment - The Washington Post

above is the link of the article we were discussing.

today we had a discussion in my american history class in regards to the 2nd amendment. professor wanted to talk about past supreme court judge stevens comments about fixing the 2nd. thought it was super interesting that i got to pick out the loonies in my class that actually think the 2nd should be repealed and the interpretation is wrong. was wonder your guys thoughts on it.

The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment - The Washington Post

above is the link of the article we were discussing.

Do you support a firearms ban? That's all this is..... Next time just quote the words please, reading through the LGesque drivel to get to the gun ban was painful.

Reactions: 3 people
Do you support a firearms ban? That's all this is..... Next time just quote the words please, reading through the LGesque drivel to get to the gun ban was painful.

i do not support a firearms ban for i believe the right to keep and bare arms for fear of oppression from any form of gov or in any case of self protection supersedes any man made law. i also thought it was interesting that the retired justice thinks he knows the "intent" of the founders. comes off as arrogant and self entitled to myself

Reactions: 2 people
he finally admits at the end that some of the anti-gun stuff is emotionally driven but it's interesting that he continues to use Sandy Hook as the example for why the 2nd should be amended. It is an emotional reaction to a tragedy rather than reasoned logic; the very problem he is accusing the NRA of having.

the only statement i made was when a younger girl in the class blurted out militia means army, only the army needs guns...i said she needs to look in a dictionary for the definition of militia

This was obviously not a 100-level course. Whenever I attempt to have the 2nd Amendment/gun rights conversation with my 100-level comp students, they typically just tend to look at me like, "Dude, we just got out of high school, where no one ever asked us our opinions on things and only told us what to do all day." Sad.

There's a noticeable difference between even the 100-level and 200-level students. Even at the 200-level, you can hardly get them to shut up at times. They've clearly learned they can talk about stuff, should they choose. Well, that and the fact that the ones who figured college wasn't for them afterall have now been weeded out.

This kind of stuff is why a constitutional convention scares the devil out out of me.

This was obviously not a 100-level course. Whenever I attempt to have the 2nd Amendment/gun rights conversation with my 100-level comp students, they typically just tend to look at me like, "Dude, we just got out of high school, where no one ever asked us our opinions on things and only told us what to do all day." Sad.

There's a noticeable difference between even the 100-level and 200-level students. Even at the 200-level, you can hardly get them to shut up at times. They've clearly learned they can talk about stuff, should they choose. Well, that and the fact that the ones who figured college wasn't for them afterall have now been weeded out.

local community college... im about 6-7 years older than most of the students in my class (trying to finish up this school thing slowly lol) . this girl obv grew up in a liberal home as many times the prof talks about politics, she outed herself early on.

local community college... im about 6-7 years older than most of the students in my class (trying to finish up this school thing slowly lol) . this girl obv grew up in a liberal home as many times the prof talks about politics, she outed herself early on.

I began my first two years of college at a community college as well. You have to start somewhere.

Reactions: 4 people
Utter BS. Had the Founding Fathers wanted that verbiage in the Constitution, they would have worded it that way.

Reactions: 3 people
If the you believe 2nd amendment was enacted to enable a state militia by allowing personal ownership of weapons then personal owners must be allowed to possess any handgun or rifle available to the military. Otherwise whats the point?

Utter BS. Had the Founding Fathers wanted that verbiage in the Constitution, they would have worded it that way.

I don't think it should be messed with federally, because that could open a door, but even you will have to admit that men living in the late eighteenth century had no way of anticipating things like expanded clip-fed rifles, or even semi-automatics, for that matter. It's a very complicated subject today; it really wasn't in their time.

That being said, I think I should be allowed to own an arms-capable F-22. I can trust myself with it. Well, maybe.

If the you believe 2nd amendment was enacted to enable a state militia by allowing personal ownership of weapons then personal owners must be allowed to possess any handgun or rifle available to the military. Otherwise whats the point?

That's why I stated earlier by his reasoning the NFA is unconstitutional.

I don't think it should be messed with federally, because that could open a door, but even you will have to admit that men living in the late eighteenth century had no way of anticipating things like expanded clip-fed rifles, or even semi-automatics, for that matter. It's a very complicated subject today; it really wasn't in their time.

That being said, I think I should be allowed to own an arms-capable F-22. I can trust myself with it. Well, maybe.

And?

A little known historical fact:

There is a misspelling which completely alters this amendment.

From "An Unabridged History of the American Colonies", by Will Lie. "The founding fathers grew weary of working outdoors in the hot and humid weather. The irksome tasks were made more intolerable by the long sleeve wool garments of the day. Many wanted to shed the ridiculous clothing but the Victorian conventions in dress and manners prevented such a radical departure from societal norms. Undeterred the founders wrote an amendment giving a Constitutionally protected freedom to those wanting to lose the sleeves. And in a strange twist of fate the most critical word was misspelled. Thus the right to BARE arms became the right to BEAR arms. Ironically, it was received so well and the father's were lauded so much they left it as written."

And the rest is history.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back