John Oliver- Last Week Tonight

mrorange211

I thought about creating this thread in the movies/tv section, but it is a really political show so I thought it would fit in better over here.

I find Oliver much funnier than Stewart, probably because of the things you can do on HBO. Regardless, I think he brings up some great issues that are largely passed over by mainstream media. For example, 4 weeks ago he covered municipal seizures, something that the mainstream media never seems to touch.

Last night he did a great interview with Edward Snowden about the Patriot Act and Section 215. If you don't have HBO, no worries because Oliver uploads his episodes for free on YouTube the day after.

So I thought I would start this thread so others who like the show, or others who hate the show have a place to discuss. The show, after all, just signed a contract extension for 5 years.

Reactions: 3 people
I was hoping he would get the Daily Show nod after Stewart, although I knew that was wishful thinking due to salary issues and contract issues with HBO.

I even thought Oliver was funnier than Stewart that month or two he had the Daily Show while Stewart was on sabbatical for his film.

I really like this show and enjoy Oliver's humor. His NCAA segment was fantastic.

I can't stand Oliver.

I was a big critic of Stewart for a long time, but he made it cool to make fun of Ds. He gets knocked all the time for being left-leaning, but he is largely responsible for creating the audience that Oliver is now enjoying.

False.

Watching him over the last year or so, he is the most self-important person I have ever seen. He is just a tool.

And this is what you always do. You can't really attack him for being like Daniel Ellsberg, so you attack your perception of his character. Well done. The only person who doesn't see through you is yourself.

Reactions: 2 people
Dont mind the show but something always annoys me about a Brit talking about problems in America..

False.

Watching him over the last year or so, he is the most self-important person I have ever seen. He is just a tool.

Snowden is, and has always been, a Russian operative.

Which is the reason I will never respect what he's done.

Had it been for the purposes of actually supporting freedom, I would back him.

He's a clown and an *******. And I hope he will continue rotting in that Russian hellhole.

Reactions: 1 person
Dont mind the show but something always annoys me about a Brit talking about problems in America..

I think this is my problem, too. Generally I don't care for political humor cause my brain goes too literal when politics are brought up, and all the jokes require exaggerating, so I don't enjoy it in the first place. Add a smarmy British accent, and I'm out.

Oliver had me when he took audio recording of supreme court hearings and acted them out with dogs.

Whether you like Oliver or not... this is awesome.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9prhPV2PI[/youtube]

I can't stand Oliver.

I was a big critic of Stewart for a long time, but he made it cool to make fun of Ds. He gets knocked all the time for being left-leaning, but he is largely responsible for creating the audience that Oliver is now enjoying.

I never liked Oliver when he replaced Stewart, but since coming on HBO I think he brings up issues that are often ignored; I like that.

But I get why some do not like him.

I know what you mean, but Oliver is really astute and funny.

What you say, however, gives me pause about this new fellow the Daily Show has hired. I think it will be a disaster. Foremost, he's an outsider. But, perhaps even more importantly, he's just not that funny. I still have no clue why the CC hired him. (Well, I do, but, not him in particular; plenty more minorities that could have been hired instead of him.)

I'll be surprised if he lasts more than a season. But, that's kind of the curse of following a god. Same in the coaching world. I mean, seriously, who wants to follow K, Dean Smith, Nick Saban, or even that dumbass that someone called Johnathan Calipari on a birth certificate once?

That's dumb. Anyone is capable of critical thinking :p

He brings up better points about American issues than 99% of people on TV.

I agree it's dumb, but I can't help that I'm not entertained by it. He's convincing when he has good points, it's just annoying.

FWIW, I don't like when Brits sing our praises, either. I got so tired of the ass-kissing in New Road to Serfdom.

That's dumb. Anyone is capable of critical thinking :p

He brings up better points about American issues than 99% of people on TV.

Dumb? Thats like me going to China and getting a talk show and complaining about income inequality and communism.

Wait..not going to China I'd be executed..running a podcast ABOUT China..thats better.

Reactions: 4 people
I know what you mean, but Oliver is really astute and funny.

What you say, however, gives me pause about this new fellow the Daily Show has hired. I think it will be a disaster. Foremost, he's an outsider. But, perhaps even more importantly, he's just not that funny. I still have no clue why the CC hired him. (Well, I do, but, not him in particular; plenty more minorities that could have been hired instead of him.)

I'll be surprised if he lasts more than a season. But, that's kind of the curse of following a god. Same in the coaching world. I mean, seriously, who wants to follow K, Dean Smith, Nick Saban, or even that dumbass that someone called Johnathan Calipari on a birth certificate once?
Oliver is funny. I watch the show weekly. He did a great one on Tobacco in foreign countries. While I dont care about foreign countries he really showed how massive corporations are really scum of the earth.

Dumb? Thats like me going to China and getting a talk show and complaining about income inequality and communism.

Wait..not going to China I'd be executed..running a podcast ABOUT China..thats better.

If you were well-educated on China's economic and public policy, what makes it so bad?

Because you weren't born there?

You do realize that probably about 99% of Americans have no ****ing clue what they're talking about it when it comes to America, right?

VN Store

Back