GOPers pass law okaying business discrimination against gays

Business should be allowed to discriminate in whatever way they want.

Ever see the sign "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?

Reactions: 13 people
Private restaurant in Knoxville refused service to an ex-State Senator for his views on gays. Isn't that the same thing?

Reactions: 2 people
Private restaurant in Knoxville refused service to an ex-State Senator for his views on gays. Isn't that the same thing?

That's interesting. Even if you lived in a state where discrimination against gays was illegal, could you discriminate against a gay person on grounds of their political belief in gay rights?

Could you then say no blacks because of their political view that blacks deserve rights?

I sure hope these businesses start screening people on all their sins. Wouldn't want anyone to be left out. Maybe we can start checking people's gay cards at the door.

Let the Muslims take advantage of this and watch things really get interesting.

Reactions: 9 people
That's interesting. Even if you lived in a state where discrimination against gays was illegal, could you discriminate against a gay person on grounds of their political belief in gay rights?

Could you then say no blacks because of their political view that blacks deserve rights?

I'm not saying I agree. I'm saying that private businesses should be able to serve or not serve who they want.

Reactions: 5 people
Freedom is great, and if a private business wants to discriminate they should have that ability. I think the market will determine the wisdom of their policy. That said, by adding legislation to discriminate in today's America, Indiana could very well torpedo their economy. Well done.

Reactions: 11 people
I've always said the market should take care of this kind of thing. If a business owner wants to be a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, or whatever he should be able to. And the market should drive him out of business if the market disagrees with him.

Reactions: 11 people
I'm not saying I agree. I'm saying that private businesses should be able to serve or not serve who they want.

I wouldn't agree with this in early 1900s, but citizens have a variety of businesses to choose from now. Shouldn't be hard to avoid the mom and pop restaurants.

I've always said the market should take care of this kind of thing. If a business owner wants to be a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, or whatever he should be able to. And the market should drive him out of business if the market disagrees with him.

:thumbsup: Yep. The American way.

Reactions: 1 person
If a business wants to do this, fine. Just make sure you list who you discriminate on your front door and website. I want to also be able to discriminate as well.

A few other questions. Does this apply to hiring or just serving customers? And this is labeled religious freedom. Does an atheist have the same ability as well? Does your discrimination have to be documented beforehand or can people break contracts, etc. after the fact?

Reactions: 3 people
A few other questions. Does this apply to hiring or just serving customers? And this is labeled religious freedom. Does an atheist have the same ability as well? Does your discrimination have to be documented beforehand or can people break contracts, etc. after the fact?

Like any contract, the parties involved are required to do their due diligence prior to signing it. If you are offering me a loan, I don't have to volunteer my credit report; it's up to you to get it. I would only be at fault if I lie in response to a legitimate query.

To your other point: yes, an atheist should be allowed to discriminate against religious customers should he choose to do so.

Here is the problem with asking the government to force bigots into hiding....WE NO LONGER KNOW WHO THE BIGOTS ARE!!

You support racist business owners, simply because you don't know who they are. They are not allowed to reveal themselves. So while they sit back spitting in black people's soup, you are making them rich. Allow them to put up the sign that says "Whites Only" and then you and the black people no longer make them rich, and they go out of business.

Aren't markets a beautiful thing?

Reactions: 5 people
Here is the problem with asking the government to force bigots into hiding....WE NO LONGER KNOW WHO THE BIGOTS ARE!!

You support racist business owners, simply because you don't know who they are. They are not allowed to reveal themselves. So while they sit back spitting in black people's soup, you are making them rich. Allow them to put up the sign that says "Whites Only" and then you and the black people no longer make them rich, and they go out of business.

Exactly.

And I've never understood why anyone would want to force someone to take one's business if that owner doesn't want it. If you are discriminating against me, I don't want to give you one red cent. I sure as heck am not going to initiate legal proceedings to force you to take my money.

Reactions: 1 person
If a business wants to do this, fine. Just make sure you list who you discriminate on your front door and website. I want to also be able to discriminate as well.

People break contracts every day. It's up to the injured party to seek damages, I don't see how this applies.

You can already as a consumer discriminate.

Business already discriminates in hiring, it just has to be done correctly.

Spot on.

Exactly.

And I've never understood why anyone would want to force someone to take one's business if that owner doesn't want it. If you are discriminating against me, I don't want to give you one red cent. I sure as heck am not going to initiate legal proceedings to force you to take my money.

Agreed. I've always viewed those suits as petty behavior. Reward a business that actually wants to serve you!

I can somewhat see publicizing a very negative experience with a bigoted business, but legal action makes no sense to me (speaking specifically to some of these gay lawsuits).

There are still defenders of "Whites Only" signs?

Cannot be serious.

I haven't seen anyone voice support for "whites only" signs. What I've seen is people voicing support for private companies being able to place whatever sign they want.

Agreed. I've always viewed those suits as petty behavior. Reward a business that actually wants to serve you!

I can somewhat see publicizing a very negative experience with a bigoted business, but legal action makes no sense to me (speaking specifically to some of these gay lawsuits).

Social media can do way more damage than a lawsuit in many cases.

Couldn't agree more.

People break contracts every day. It's up to the injured party to seek damages, I don't see how this applies.

You can already as a consumer discriminate.

Business already discriminates in hiring, it just has to be done correctly.

It applies if they find out during the process someone is gay. Is the burden on the business to ask these questions ahead of time? Or does the customer have to disclose their sexual preference beforehand?

Yes, as a consumer you can discriminate. But my point is that you discriminate based on what info is known and provided. To a point made earlier, if you want to be a bigot, make sure you list the types of clients you don't like. Make it known who you do and do not like so that the consumer can be even more educated about what business to shop with.

Correctly? So if say one of these "Christian" florists does not like homosexuals can they ask sexual preference in hiring and then choose to not hire the homosexual based on that? Can someone fire someone based on their preference? Can I hire and fire atheists? Adulterers? Just making sure where the line is here on what is legal and illegal.

VN Store

Back