Safe Spaces

Yeah victims of rape and sexual assault are often coddled too much . Damn whiners should just get over it right?

A very coddled generation.

I've thought long and hard about this issue, and I have arrived at the following conclusion, however valid or flawed it may be:

This current generation (as well as any generation) is neither more cuddled nor more tough than any of the others. The cuddling is just different for each generation.

Younger generations today do not have to suffer as much physically. They don't have to be as tough, and someone will be there to assure them they don't have to be physically tough to be a worthy person (unlike, perhaps, in the past). Chances are, they may not even have to be as mentally tough, if, by "mentally tough," we mean capable of hiding our individual suffering and keeping it private. A just "deal with it" sort of thing.

Previous generations, however, were cuddled as well. We just don't tend to think of it this way. Previous generations constantly required everyone around them to constantly re-confirm their worldview. An attack, let's say, upon one's sense of gender or of patriotism or of how the races should mingle, would cause one to react like an overgrown child acting out with a temper tantrum because mommy didn't let him or her have the candy bar in the grocery line. It's like they need their understanding of the world echoed back to them for validation. Today's generations, no matter how pathetic, are much more comfortable with ambiguity than previous ones.

It's all the same thing. Just a little different. This difference we attribute to culture.

Humans are still humans. Always will be.

Reactions: 1 person
Me reading this article:

22SHULEVITZjp-articleLarge.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
I've thought long and hard about this issue, and I have arrived at the following conclusion, however valid or flawed it may be:

This current generation (as well as any generation) is neither more cuddled nor more tough than any of the others. The cuddling is just different for each generation.

Younger generations today do not have to suffer as much physically. They don't have to be as tough, and someone will be there to assure them they don't have to be physically tough to be a worthy person (unlike, perhaps, in the past). Chances are, they may not even have to be as mentally tough, if, by "mentally tough," we mean capable of hiding our individual suffering and keeping it private. A just "deal with it" sort of thing.

Previous generations, however, were cuddled as well. We just don't tend to think of it this way. Previous generations constantly required everyone around them to constantly re-confirm their worldview. An attack, let's say, upon one's sense of gender or of patriotism or of how the races should mingle, would cause one to react like an overgrown child acting out with a temper tantrum because mommy didn't let him or her have the candy bar in the grocery line. It's like they need their understanding of the world echoed back to them for validation. Today's generations, no matter how pathetic, are much more comfortable with ambiguity than previous ones.

It's all the same thing. Just a little different. This difference we attribute to culture.

That's exactly what is being explained in this article - except about this generation. This isn't an article about how kids aren't forced to work on the farm like they used to be. It's about how they protest those they disagree with and demand universities echo their disgust.

Reactions: 2 people
That's exactly what is being explained in this article - except about this generation. This isn't an article about how kids aren't forced to work on the farm like they used to be. It's about how they protest those they disagree with and demand universities echo their disgust.

And this is different from any other generation in history how?

And this is different from any other generation in history how?

The extent and degree of coddling

It's obvious from my perspective in the business world. It's even worse with the Ivy League set. The feeling of entitlement is unreal

It's obvious from my perspective in the business world. It's even worse with the Ivy League set. The feeling of entitlement is unreal

You didn't process a damn word I typed in my first post in this thread, did you?

Have you ever dared tell your Gma she's wrong about her notion of race? No. You know why? She'd flip the **** out.

We're all cuddled, Bubba.

Sorry.

You didn't process a damn word I typed in my first post in this thread, did you?

Have you ever dared tell your Gma she's wrong about her notion of race? No. You know why? She'd flip the **** out.

We're all cuddled, Bubba.

Sorry.

I didn't say former generations werent coddled. Just not nearly to the extent and degree this one is. It's apparent to everyone, except professors I guess. Go figure

Reactions: 1 person
I would agree with the premise of this article if "they" would agree with the death penalty.

I am going to coin the Sexual AssauLT card. Henceforth it's the salt card.

I didn't say former generations werent coddled. Just not nearly to the extent and degree this one is. It's apparent to everyone, except professors I guess. Go figure

Ever watched your gee-gee convulse after having witnessed a black man and white woman holding hands in public?

Gee-gee is convulsing because she's been a coddled sissy her entire life.

Reactions: 3 people

All true but the focus is off in my mind. Those seeking to help are too focused on the weaknesses and accommodations rather than strengthening and empowering. At a certain point these victims will have to face their traumas and be able to exist in society despite the risk of triggers and lack of safe spaces.

All true but the focus is off in my mind. Those seeking to help are too focused on the weaknesses and accommodations rather than strengthening and empowering. At a certain point these victims will have to face their traumas and be able to exist in society despite the risk of triggers and lack of safe spaces.

Regarding this particular case, yes, I agree. It's well-intentioned, but by no means a solution. I think it's just something that a few people came up with in order to make themselves feel better - that is, in order to make themselves feel like they're actually doing something in this world.

It's not that obvious from my experiences in the business world. The younger employees are looking for ways to collaborate / integrate, while the older ones take differing opinions as personal attacks.

...and Volprof has it right here, it's just as much a struggle to disagree with a conservative baby boomer as it is a progressive millennial. One got coddled by the state, the other by academia. They're both well versed in getting their feelings hurt.

"Hi, welcome to Brown University! Here is your welcome packet and just down the hall on your right is a room full of puppy dogs, cookies, hugs, and bubbles."

"Hi, welcome to Brown University! Here is your welcome packet and just down the hall on your right is a room full of puppy dogs, cookies, hugs, and bubbles."

And if you squeeze your eyes tight enough you might just see a unicorn and leprechaun when you open them!

Yeah victims of rape and sexual assault are often coddled too much . Damn whiners should just get over it right?

You know Ill be that guy..yeah get over it. That goes for anything.

Something bad happened to you? Ok address it in therapy or talking to your pet rock, analyze the situation that led to the incident and take steps to avoid it.

The whole rape culture thing is classic fear mongering.

VN Store

Back