Replacing Andrew Jackson on the 20 with a woman

I'm not against this, but HuffPo could have come up with better "redesigns" than those 7. A 5 year old could do a better job working with Mario Paint.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm waiting for the group that argues we ought to put Michael Brown on the 20.

They're coming.

Why not make a $5 coin with a woman on it? Andrew Jackson killed the 2nd National Bank and is a hero.

Give them the $5,000 bill. I mean, it ought to be directly proportional to the average amount of money spent on an engagement ring.

It's been done..next dumb idea.
300-01d_1979S_o.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
I guess my misogyny switch is off today, but why is this a dumb idea?

It's not; I was just making a joke.

If any president is worth retiring from our currency, it's Jackson.

Edit: As a general rule, if Ras likes a president, you can pretty much figure he was an awful human being.

Reactions: 4 people
I guess my misogyny switch is off today, but why is this a dumb idea?

Because removing one of the best US presidents, who was also an immensely-popular war hero, from the $20 bill is a terrible idea.

Jackson worked his way from being a rebellious orphan in the early foster system to the highest office in the land. His IS the story of America and what it means to be American.

He was the first real "self-made" American president, and was the typical frontiersman of that time, which we would understand as "blue collar" today.

Jackson was rough around the edges, but he was a true leader. It is not for no reason he has a whole Era named after him.

Some people look for any way to remove Southern heroes from prominence in the American tradition and heritage. The Founding Fathers get a pass for now, but the day will come when even their cultural importance will be downplayed and scrubbed from history by the brush of "diversity" and "sensitivity."

Reactions: 6 people
Because removing one of the best US presidents, who was also an immensely-popular war hero, from the $20 bill is a terrible idea.

Jackson worked his way from being a rebellious orphan in the early foster system to the highest office in the land. His IS the story of America and what it means to be American.

He was the first real "self-made" American president, and was the typical frontiersman of that time, which we would understand as "blue collar" today.

Jackson was rough around the edges, but he was a true leader. It is not for no reason he has a whole Era named after him.

Some people look for any way to remove Southern heroes from prominence in the American tradition and heritage. The Founding Fathers get a pass for now, but the day will come when even their cultural importance will be downplayed and scrubbed from history by the brush of "diversity" and "sensitivity."

Joe, I want you and your family to pack up right now. You're going out West tonight. Leave your home and possessions behind. You're only taking what you need for bare survival.

Don't ask any questions and shut your mouth.

You're going to do this, whether you like it or not.

Reactions: 6 people
It's been done..next dumb idea.
300-01d_1979S_o.jpg

Not only that, but Lady Liberty was also a prominent figure on other coinage for a long time. I have on old collection of silver dollars from the late 1880s until the early 1920s, and the face of a woman (as the symbol for all freedom and liberty) adorns those coins. Perhaps we should go back to using those instead of printing more flimsy $1 bills.

Joe, I want you and your family to pack up right now. You're going out West tonight. Leave your home and possessions behind. You're only taking what you need for bare survival.

Happened when Martin Van Buren was President. Try again, volprof.

Nice try. My (4) great-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee. She was here in Tennessee because she was among those who chose to integrate with the United States.

Jackson had an adopted Native American son, did you know? Lyncoya Jackson. Or did you just think he was a racist who hated all Indians? In fact, Jackson adopted all his children, and served as a sort of legal guardian for numerous others, no doubt influenced by his own orphan past. But, he's just a terrible person, right?

The fact was that the Indian Removal act was inevitable. It was going to be done eventually. That doesn't make it pretty, and doesn't make it right. But, in all likelihood, such saved the US and those Native American tribes from a larger and more deadly confrontation.

Reactions: 2 people
Nice try. My (4) great-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee. She was here in Tennessee because she was among those who chose to integrate with the United States.

Jackson had an adopted Native American son, did you know? Lyncoya Jackson. Or did you just think he was a racist who hated all Indians? In fact, Jackson adopted all his children, and served as a sort of legal guardian for numerous others, no doubt influenced by his own orphan past. But, he's just a terrible person, right?

The fact was that the Indian Removal act was inevitable. It was going to be done eventually. That doesn't make it pretty, and doesn't make it right. But, in all likelihood, such saved the US and those Native American tribes from a larger and more deadly confrontation.

You must look at my avatar and think some sort of buffoon just sits behind it posting, don't you?

Yes, I knew all of these things. Well, not about your great-grandmother. Was she Cherokee princess, by the way?

Do you know that I have a wife? That means I obviously can not possibly harbor any ill will or grudges against women, right?

Reactions: 2 people
Anyhow, I don't have any particular ill-will against Jackson. He was just a man of his time. And, to some of you guy's points, he was just fulfilling the inevitable.

I'm just saying that if we can do away with one of our current currency dudes, it's most likely him.

Actually, probably Franklin, but who really wants to put a woman on a hundy? I'm a right, guys?

You must look at my avatar and think some sort of buffoon just sits behind it posting, don't you?

Yes, I knew all of these things. Well, not about your great-grandmother. Was she Cherokee princess, by the way?

Do you know that I have a wife? That means I obviously can not possibly harbor any ill will or grudges against women, right?

Way to deflect, but the point is simple: the removal of Indians was inevitable whether Jackson was President or not. This can clearly be seen in the treaties signed with Indians since the 7 Years War. But those who hate Jackson are so very quick in bringing up Indian Removal, but always fail to mention the nullification crisis, expansion west because of Jackson, and the death of the national bank. Curious, I know.

Also, linking a wikipedia article to explain history brings your credentials into major suspicion, fyi.

Anyhow, I don't have any particular ill-will against Jackson. He was just a man of his time. And, to some of you guy's points, he was just fulfilling the inevitable.

I'm just saying that if we can do away with one of our current currency dudes, it's most likely him.

Actually, probably Franklin, but who really wants to put a woman on a hundy? I'm a right, guys?

I agree with you here. If anyone needs to go, it's Franklin.

VN Store

Back