General Nathan Bedford Forrest Billboard in Selma

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
264A708B00000578-2984137-_Despicable_-m-43_1425746973989.jpg

KKK founder remembered in billboard at the foot of Selma bridge | Daily Mail Online

People are demanding it be taken down. Sure it bears Forrest's image it doesn't necessarily mention the KKK....

It's even more ironic that Obama's name is on the reverse side.

There are also calls to rename the bridge. I guess the whole idea behind me starting this is at what point do we balance preserving Southern history (without getting in the specifics) and appeasing people today?

There are also calls to rename the bridge. I guess the whole idea behind me starting this is at what point do we balance preserving Southern history (without getting in the specifics) and appeasing people today?

I don't think it was good taste to use Forrest specifically on the billboard. I understand their group has his namesake and all, but not real good form there concerning the historical significance of the town in question.

I don't think things should be omitted from history. Forrest has some significant black marks (in before McDad can pun his way into this thread) in his history, but was a damn fine military leader. All the facts should be on the table and not just Southern History. It's part of American history as well.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it was good taste to use Forrest specifically on the billboard. I understand their group has his namesake and all, but not real good form there concerning the historical significance of the town in question.

I don't think things should be omitted from history. Forrest has some significant black marks (in before McDad can pun his way into this thread) in his history, but was a damn fine military leader. All the facts should be on the table and not just Southern History. It's part of American history as well.

Nope, today 1 mention or accusation of racism wipes out anything a person has done no matter their accomplishments prior or after.

Especially since Forrest was not a military man before the war. Stuart's blunders at Gettysburg really tarnish his legacy.

Forrest was very instinctual. And he was a better combat commander than Stuart imo. It's been a while since I've dusted off any of my Forrest books, but if I recall correctly he never lost a battle in which he was the lead commander.

Forrest was very instinctual. And he was a better combat commander than Stuart imo. It's been a while since I've dusted off any of my Forrest books, but if I recall correctly he never lost a battle in which he was the lead commander.

Can't forget about Mosby either. The south had some great cavalry leaders during the war.

Can't forget about Mosby either. The south had some great cavalry leaders during the war.

The south had great military leaders. Take a look at the existing Army bases and who they are named after.

The billboard was erected by the friends of Forrest, Inc., a historical group that says it meant nothing racist by placing the billboard so close to this historic Edmund Pettus Bridge.

Spokeswoman Patricia Goodwin told the News, “That billboard was put there with positive intent to ask people who come to Selma to explore and enjoy our 19th century history. Does it say anything in the Constitution where a certain faction of people cannot be offended? I’m offended by all these people walking around with their pants hanging around their knees.”

She claims that she only chose the location because of its high visibility to visitors.

The Southern Poverty Law Center pointed out that Goodwin is a known neo-Confederate activist who has called the historic 1965 march “the Mother of All Orgies” and has previously fought efforts to commemorate the civil rights marchers who were beaten with bullwhips and police batons on Bloody Sunday.

Godwin is known for signing her emails “The Wizardess,” a reference to Forrest’s title as the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

Neo-confederate Klan ‘Wizardess’ erected pro-KKK billboard near historic Selma bridge

Sure, you can say anything racist you want. It's America. However, don't say you didn't mean anything racist when it's quite clear you meant to be racist.

Reactions: 3 people
It's an advertisment for history tourism in Selma, and Forrest was the commanding officer of the Confederates in the Battle of Selma. I don't really see the problem.

See man thats the problem! You're seeing with your eyes and not your emotions!

Sure, you can say anything racist you want. It's America. However, don't say you didn't mean anything racist when it's quite clear you meant to be racist.

Whats racist?

1.)Do only blacks sag their pants?

2.)Calling a group of people an orgy when they aren't engaging in some Dionysian ritual is dumb, not racist.

3.)Maybe she plays D&D or some other nerd game?

Maybe if you are interpreting her words as racist you might be a little bit racist yourself for assuming someone else must be racist. That's a direct violation of Karplovski's Absurdism Counterprinciple syllogism.

Reactions: 1 person
He was a great Cavalry General for the Confederacy,the best they had.

He was a murdered that brought shame to his uniform with his actions at Fort Pillow. A disgrace that I am forever ashamed was from our great state of Tennessee.

Whats racist?

1.)Do only blacks sag their pants?

2.)Calling a group of people an orgy when they aren't engaging in some Dionysian ritual is dumb, not racist.

3.)Maybe she plays D&D or some other nerd game?

Maybe if you are interpreting her words as racist you might be a little bit racist yourself for assuming someone else must be racist. That's a direct violation of Karplovski's Absurdism Counterprinciple syllogism.

She's racist. Next.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back