Why is the GOP so anti-science?

Did I miss where Ben Carson was selected as the Republican party spokesman?

anti-vaxxers are mostly liberal. Also, anti-GMO is anti-science, which is again mostly liberal.

So the question isn't why the GOP is so anti-science, it is why is America increasingly anti-science?

And the answer is that it is because observation and predictive power that runs counter to one's established views and bias are discarded.

Reactions: 10 people
Ben Carson - world renown pediatric neurosurgeon is anti-science. I guess he used Jesus-magic to do all his medical work?

This thread is what we've come to expect.

Reactions: 11 people
anti-vaxxers are mostly liberal. Also, anti-GMO is anti-science, which is again mostly liberal.

So the question isn't why the GOP is so anti-science, it is why is America increasingly anti-science?

And the answer is that it is because observation and predictive power that runs counter to one's established views and bias are discarded.

I agree. In addition to the usual examples about conservatives I'd add anti-fracking and life doesn't begin until birth as at odds with science from the left end of the spectrum.

As someone with a sufficient economics background (though not a specialty) I say that ignorance of and outright denial of economics fits the mold too across the board.

Reactions: 2 people
Carson needs to stick with inspiring people to rise up from their circumstances and get out of the political world. He's not suited for it. Views like this are real head scratchers for someone as intelligent as he.

Reactions: 6 people
Ben Carson - world renown pediatric neurosurgeon is anti-science. I guess he used Jesus-magic to do all his medical work?

This thread is what we've come to expect.

Evidently so. Despite all of the science to the contrary, he thinks homosexuality is a choice because of prison sexual activity. That's a pretty dumb thing of him to say.

Evidently so. Despite all of the science to the contrary, he thinks homosexuality is a choice because of prison sexual activity. That's a pretty dumb thing of him to say.

Shall we post links from non-office holding Dems or heck even office holding Dems that are dumb?

Reactions: 1 person

Anti-vaxxers, as you put it, do come in every shape and size. But, when recently asked about it the GOP nominees should have been out front explaining that its nonsense.

They want to be leaders. Lead, starting with this pretty common sense issue.

Carson needs to stick with inspiring people to rise up from their circumstances and get out of the political world. He's not suited for it. Views like this are real head scratchers for someone as intelligent as he.

:thumbsup: Yes, indeed sir.

Are you speaking from personal experience or are you just bashing Ben again?

Shall we post links from non-office holding Dems or heck even office holding Dems that are dumb?

There are dumb people in every party, surely. Dumb leaders, dumb voters, etc.

But there does seem to be this overall kind of gut reaction that the GOP nominees/leadership have to science. They just sometimes seem all too willing to believe in anecdotal stories, theocracy when it contradicts science, etc.

I agree. In addition to the usual examples about conservatives I'd add anti-fracking and life doesn't begin until birth as at odds with science from the left end of the spectrum.

As someone with a sufficient economics background (though not a specialty) I say that ignorance of and outright denial of economics fits the mold too across the board.

I have to disagree on fracking. Because fracking fluid is proprietary and because Cheney made it no longer subject to the Clean Air ActClean Water Act, it has not been studied by independent researchers recently in a specific and systematic way. Also, some companies are breaking agreed upon rules because they know they can't be caught due to not being subject to oversight. Also, how fracked strata respond to pressure over time due injected waste materials has not been studied at all, which would be the primary concern with mobility of fracking solutions to other aquifers and strata over time. Fracking: Laws and Loopholes | Clean Water Action
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v477/n7364/full/477271a.html
http://www.nature.com/scientificamerican/journal/v305/n5/full/scientificamerican1111-80.html
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/facts-behind-frack
http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/18a/0ce/207/A-Colossal-Fracking-Mess---Business---Vanity-Fair.pdf

It is now demonstrated that fracking leads to minor earth quakes. This has already had unforeseen consequences in SW Colorado, where shallow saline aquifers are having to be pumped out to keep them from mobilizing and dumping salt water into the Dolores River. The fracking deep beneath these aquifers has changed the pressure dynamics in unexpected ways.
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/prwaylen/GEO2200 Readings/Readings/Fracking/Earthquakes and fracking.pdf

It is demonstrated that carcinogenic and damaging substances are released in the air around fracking sites.
example: http://www.zo.utexas.edu/courses/THOC/Fracking.pdf

So no, the science denial on that topic is allowing these processes to be exempt from the Clean Air and Water Acts and defending ignorance of the consequences and repercussions of the processes as being just as good as no evidence found-- which isn't even the case. I am sure there is a way to go about fracking that would be sustainable, but the explosion in sites over the least 15 years is troubling given the deliberate handcuffing of independent scientists and researchers.

Reactions: 3 people
There are dumb people in every party, surely. Dumb leaders, dumb voters, etc.

But there does seem to be this overall kind of gut reaction that the GOP nominees/leadership have to science. They just sometimes seem all too willing to believe in anecdotal stories, theocracy when it contradicts science, etc.

No, you just ignore the ignorance from your chosen party.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe interesting to some in this thread, but Bill Nye has come out in favor of GMOs.

Maybe interesting to some in this thread, but Bill Nye has come out in favor of GMOs.

Because he took the advice of his friends and colleagues and followed the science with an open mind. GMOs have some risks in terms of longterm sustainability and possibly ecologically and I hate the business/corporate side of proprietary seeds and lineages, but it is perfectly safe to eat.

This. He's obviously very intelligent but it's mind boggling he can believe this.

Because he took the advice of his friends and colleagues and followed the science with an open mind. GMOs have some risks in terms of longterm sustainability and possibly ecologically and I hate the business/corporate side of proprietary seeds and lineages, but it is perfectly safe to eat.

Yeah, f*** patent law. Monsonto is bad because their patent protections result in 3rd world starvation. It's so funny to me that they are public enemy #1 for the wrong reason.

VN Store

Back