Justified Killing

Are US forces justified in killing this man and his 8-year old child?

• Total voters

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
1. A man has barricaded himself and his 8-year old child in a concrete bunker.

2. This man possesses a remote detonator in his hand.

3. This man has placed two small incendiary devices just behind the original Constitution of the United States and the original Declaration of Independence, both housed in the National Archives building.

4. The incendiary devices are just large enough to destroy these documents, yet not large enough that the detonation will cause any further damage to persons or property.

5. These devices cannot be disarmed without destroying the documents.

6. The only way to save the documents is to kill the man with the remote detonator.

7. The only way to kill the man with the remote detonator is to fire a missile at the bunker, resulting in both his death and the death of his 8-year old child.

8. The man knows all of these facts, and merely desires to know the answer to the question, "Would Americans kill my 8-year old child simply to defend some parchment they feel is symbolically important?"

So, would forces working for the US be justified in killing this man and his 8-year old child?

3. This man has placed two small incendiary devices just behind the original Constitution of the United States and the original Declaration of Independence, both housed in the National Archives building.

4. The incendiary devices are just large enough to destroy these documents, yet not large enough that the detonation will cause any further damage to persons or property.

6. The only way to save the documents is to kill the man with the remote detonator.

7. The only way to kill the man with the remote detonator is to fire a missile at the bunker, resulting in both his death and the death of his 8-year old child.

8. The man knows all of these facts, and merely desires to know the answer to the question, "Would Americans kill my 8-year old child simply to defend some parchment they feel is symbolically important?"

So, would forces working for the US be justified in killing this man and his 8-year old child?

no, they wouldn't

Thus far, we have two affirmative votes, two negative, and one abstention.

100% of Christians favor killing the kid to preserve the parchment.

I imagine these numbers will fluctuate.

No.

Is the bunker located on US soil?

How did he sneak the devices in and plant them?

Is Santa Claus involved?

Reactions: 1 person
Justified, yes and no. The father knows what the score is. It's justified to kill him, in my ethical world. The child, on the other hand, no.

Your poll doesn't really accommodate this assessment, however, so I didn't respond. But I am an atheist.

Reactions: 1 person
Is the bunker located on US soil?

How did he sneak the devices in and plant them?

Is Santa Claus involved?

None of that matters. The devices are in place. The only way to save the documents is to kill the man. The man only dies if his child is killed as well.

Justified, yes and no. The father knows what the score is. It's justified to kill him, in my ethical world. The child, on the other hand, no.

Your poll doesn't really accommodate this assessment, however, so I didn't respond. But I am an atheist.

No, my poll does not, as its not concerned with the wrongdoer, but with the civilian child.

So, justified or not?

No, my poll does not, as its not concerned with the wrongdoer, but with the civilian child.

So, justified or not?

I guess not, but that kid better go on to invent flying cars or something like that.

None of that matters. The devices are in place. The only way to save the documents is to kill the man. The man only dies if his child is killed as well.

It does matter if the bunker is on US soil and if he and the kid are US citizens.

Also, what are their food and water supplies, is it absolutely certain he will detonate?

Okay, I voted. But that father is going to be hearing from me when this is all over.

It does matter if the bunker is on US soil and if he and the kid are US citizens.

Also, what are their food and water supplies, is it absolutely certain he will detonate?

Line 6. Only way to save the documents.

These questions are immaterial.

It's possible for ethical situations to arise in which we have little or even imperfect information.

I'm not sure how "justified" is defined here, but we certainly kill people for less important objectives.

Is it worth it to kill an eight-year-old in Iraq if we are targeting an alleged terrorist? Apparently so.

What relevance is the respondent's religion? Do non-Christians believe killing is moral?

I'm not sure how "justified" is defined here, but we certainly kill people for less important objectives.

Is it worth it to kill an eight-year-old in Iraq if we are targeting an alleged terrorist? Apparently so.

Did you answer?

VN Store

Back