Bible Study

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
RJD was nice enough to share 59 Quranic verses, self-selected by Mr. Sam Harris to demonstrate how truly awful the Quran is. Since nobody actually reads the Quran to check the context of these verses (or, some of them, simply Harris's statements with an added word or two in quotations from the Quran), I figured I would provide larger quotes from the Quran, each dealing with the specific verses in question. I'll probably do about 5/week, my expectations, though, are not that individuals like RJD and SCV will change their minds, for various reasons concerning their mental aptitude.

So, here goes:

1. “It is the same whether or not you forewarn them [the unbelievers], they will have no faith” (2:6).

“This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, containing guidance for those who are mindful of God, who believe in the unseen, keep up the prayer, and give out of what We have provided for them; those who believe in the revelation sent down to you [Muhammed], and in what was sent before you, those who have firm faith in the Hereafter. Such people are following their Lord’s guidance and it is they who will prosper. As for those who disbelieve, it makes no difference whether your warn them or not: they will not believe. God has sealed their hearts and their ears, and their eyes are covered. They will have great torment.” (2:2-6)

2. “God will mock them and keep them long in sin, blundering blindly along” (2:15).

“When they meet the believers, they say, ‘We believe,’ but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say, ‘We’re really with you; we were only mocking.’ God is mocking them, and allowing them more slack to wander blindly in their insolence. They have bought error in exchange for guidance, so their trade reaps no profit, and they are not rightly guided.” (2:14-16)

3. A fire “whose fuel is men and stones” awaits them (2:24).

“People, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, so that you may be mindful of Him who spread out the earth for you and built the sky; who sent water down from it and with that water produced things for your sustenance. Do not, knowing this, set up rivals to God. If you have doubts about the revelation We have sent down to Our servant, then produce a single sura like it—enlist whatever supporters you have other than God—if you truly think you can. If you cannot do this—and you never will—then beware of the Fire prepared for the disbelievers, whose fuel is men and stones.” (2:21-24)

4. They will be “rewarded with disgrace in this world and with grievous punishment on the Day of Resurrection” (2:85).

“Remember when We took a pledge from the Children of Israel: ‘Worship none but God; be good to your parents and kinfolk, to orphans and the poor; speak good words to all people; keep up the prayer and pay the prescribed alms.’ Then all but a few of you turned away and paid no heed. We took a pledge from you, ‘Do not shed one another’s blood or drive one another from your homelands.’ You acknowledged it at the time, and you can testify to this. Yet here you are, killing one another and driving some of your own people from their homes, helping one another in sin and aggression against them. If they come to you as captives, you still pay to set them free, although you had no right to drive them out. So do you believe in some parts of the Scripture and not others? The punishment for those of you who do this will be nothing but disgrace in this life, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be condemned to the harshest torment: God is not unaware of what you do. These are the people who buy the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter: their torment will not be lightened, nor will they be helped.” (2:83-86)

5. “God’s curse be upon the infidels!” (2:89).

“When a Scripture came to them from God confirming what they already had, and when they had been praying for victory against the disbelievers, even when there came to them something they knew to be true, they disbelieved in it: God rejects those who disbelieve. Low indeed is the price for which they have sold their souls by denying the God-sent truth, out of envy that God should send His bounty to any of His servants He pleases. The disbelievers have ended up with wrath upon wrath, and a humiliating torment awaits them.” (2:89-90)

Reactions: 5 people
Lol, then why do you post here?

I don't let annoyance stop me. Your question though might say a lot about you, however.

Anyway, if you're not going to challenge these five selections, the door is over there.

Oh wait, you're merely going to point out that these selections, while not suggesting a view in which persons are allowed to be cruel to disbelievers merely because they are disbelievers, strongly suggest a view of a vengeful and cruel God. Granted. Move along, now.

I don't let annoyance stop me. Your question though might say a lot about you, however.

Anyway, if you're not going to challenge these five selections, the door is over there.

Oh wait, you're merely going to point out that these selections, while not suggesting a view in which persons are allowed to be cruel to disbelievers merely because they are disbelievers, strongly suggest a view of a vengeful and cruel God. Granted. Move along, now.

Of course I'm not going to challenge them, that is the whole point of our previous discussion. We can talk about interpretation all day, but in the end, we are going to see what we want. That is the whole problem (and danger) with using these texts as a guide to behavior. Call the Westboro nut jobs loonies all you want, but they are just as convinced into the legitimacy of their interpretations as someone else would be about theirs. Same goes for the fornicating drinking Muslim and the fanatical terrorist in the West Bank. In the end there is no objective contextual reading of what the text really means.

Since you think they all drink from the same trough, go ahead and give is all a class on Plato and Adam Smith as well.

I'm not playing the futile interpretation game, I'm simply taking the words at face value. This is all 7th century nonsense, nothing more. What does the qu'ran say about paradise, 72 virgins, gold, and rivers of honey? If it were written today it would be mansions and stock options.

The bottom line is most of us don't worry about the Jains hijacking the next plane like we do Islamic fundamentalist. I'm honest enough to say why that is, and not hide my head behind contextual reading of the text as the solution.

If calling me dumb and intellectually challenged or whatever is what you are resorting to then I suspect this has become more about winning the argument than anything else. It doesn't bother me in the least. Carry on with this silliness if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Of course I'm not going to challenge them, that is the whole point of our previous discussion. We can talk about interpretation all day, but in the end, we are going to see what we want. That is the whole problem (and danger) with using these texts as a guide to behavior. Call the Westboro nut jobs loonies all you want, but they are just as convinced into the legitimacy of their interpretations as someone else would be about theirs. Same goes for the fornicating drinking Muslim and the fanatical terrorist in the West Bank. In the end there is no objective contextual reading of what the text really means.

Since you think they all drink from the same trough, go ahead and give is all a class on Plato and Adam Smith as well.

I'm not playing the futile interpretation game, I'm simply taking the words at face value. This is all 7th century nonsense, nothing more. What does the qu'ran say about paradise, 72 virgins, gold, and rivers of honey? If it were written today it would be mansions and stock options.

The bottom line line is most of us don't worry about the Jains hijacking the next plane like we do Islamic fundamentalist. I'm honest enough to say why that is, and not hide my head behind contextual reading of the text as the solution.

If calling me dumb and intellectually challenged or whatever is what you are resorting to then I suspect this has become more about winning the argument than anything else. It doesn't bother me in the least. Carry on with this silliness if it makes you feel better.

Insert Smokey Dammmmnnn gif here

Reactions: 7 people
Of course I'm not going to challenge them, that is the whole point of our previous discussion.

Right..."Let me post all these verses here, to demonstrate there is a problem with the Quran. Oh wait, now you've expanded these verses, and I won't challenge because that was never the point."

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

We can talk about interpretation all day, but in the end, we are going to see what we want.

No, in the end we are going to see what is there, if we actually look. This isn't about some, "Interpretation via emotional response" BS. This is, "Here's the actual text; here's what it actually says". If you want to say those five blocks of texts say something, tell me what they say. It is quite clear they say the following: God will punish some (maybe all) disbelievers in the Hereafter.

That is the whole problem (and danger) with using these texts as a guide to behavior. Call the Westboro nut jobs loonies all you want, but they are just as convinced into the legitimacy of their interpretations as someone else would be about theirs.

If you are equating "convinced of their own legitimacy" with legitimacy, then you are trading in fallacies. Sure, WBC is convinced their interpretation is legitimate. I can break down the text of the Bible in the same manner with them to show that their reading is not a coherent and legitimate reading of the text. Their conviction, then, is not a problem with the Bible, it's a problem with them.

In the end there is no objective contextual reading of what the text really means.

At the end of the day, there are coherent readings of texts and incoherent readings of texts. Incoherent readings are automatically ruled out as illegitimate, even if one is convinced their incoherent reading is legitimate. Now, there might be multiple coherent readings, and then the question of legitimate reading becomes more difficult. However, that does not rule out there being a single, legitimate reading; further, it does not rule out there being multiple legitimate readings.

No thanks, but you've made it quite clear you have not read a single Adam Smith work in its entirety.

I'm not playing the futile interpretation game, I'm simply taking the words at face value.

No, you are playing a childish game of thinking that simply because a string of words appears within the much larger string of words that is the complete work, that smaller string of words can be used to define the entire work. That's not taking anything at "face value".

This is all 7th century nonsense, nothing more.

I'm not sure what the hell this even means. On its face, right, we are playing your silly "face value" game it appears to be a genetic fallacy. At least you are consistent in trading in the fallacious.

What does the qu'ran say about paradise, 72 virgins, gold, and rivers of honey? If it were written today it would be mansions and stock options.

The Quran actually says nothing about 72 virgins. Of course, this doesn't matter, right, because you really don't give a **** about what the Quran actually says, you just care about what non-sensical and unfounded accusations you can throw against it.

The bottom line line is most of us don't worry about the Jains hijacking the next plane like we do Islamic fundamentalist. I'm honest enough to say why that is, and not hide my head behind contextual reading of the text as the solution.

You're right, pure Jainism does not allow one to violently repel oppressors. The Quran explicitly allows such actions. And, in allowing such actions, it then has verses that can be taken out of context and exploited for political and power-hungry aims. So, where the impoverished and under-educated individual who grows up in a household in which they are instructed to obey Jainism, above all else, cannot be exploited to kill based on bull-****, out of context verses, the individual who grows up in a household in which he is taught to obey Allah and the word of the Quran can be exploited.

This points to one of the solutions: combat the bull-****, illegitimate reading of the Quran, so that reading cannot be used to exploit for power.

N.B. A curious example you cite, but one that we ought to be careful in making sure to realize that you do not support Jainism, nor anything approaching Jainism, since, if I remember correctly, you do some work in the weapons industry, correct? In fact, you think that it is sometimes appropriate to kill,not just animals and the smallest forms of life but to kill persons. Sure, you are going to place some qualifications around when that is acceptable, like maybe when said person or group of persons invades your territory, tries to force you out of your territory, persecutes you in certain ways, oppresses you, etc. Basically, your qualifications are not going to diverge that much, in principle, from the Quranic qualifications. However, there will be divergence in specifics, that is what tokens represent the oppressive type, etc.

Intellectually irresponsible...and dumb. It's not about winning and its not about victory over you. It's about combating the spread of misinformation, which is indirectly connected to you, since you are spreading this misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
What the hell, let's do five more.

6. “They have incurred God’s most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits [them]” (2:90).

"When a Scripture came to them from God confirming what they already had, and when they had been praying for victory against the disbelievers, even when there came to them something they knew to be true, they disbelieved in it: God rejects those who disbelieve. Low indeed is the price for which they have sold their souls by denying the God-sent truth, out of envy that God should send His bounty to any of His servants He pleases. The disbelievers have ended up with wrath upon wrath, and a humiliating torment awaits them.” (2:89-90)

Convenient, because its the same block of text used to address ****ty, out-of-context #5.

7. “God is the enemy of the unbelievers” (2:98).

“If anyone is an enemy of God, His angels and His messengers, of Gabriel and Michael, then God is certainly the enemy of such disbelievers.” (2:98)

What's pretty nice here is that I didn't even have to include an extra verse nor even an extra sentence. I just had to post the sentence and the verse in full. Thus far, this piece of "evidence" offered by morons is the most intellectually irresponsible. However, I doubt it will remain in such an esteemed position over the course of these 59 ****-ass, out-of-context, pieces of "evidence".

8. “The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Christians and Jews], and the pagans, resent that any blessing should have been sent down to you from your Lord” (2:105).

“Believers, do not say, ‘You are foolish,’ but say, ‘Look at us,’ and listen: an agonizing torment awaits those who ignore God’s words. Neither those People of the Book who disbelieve nor the idolaters would like anything good to be sent down to you from your Lord, but God chooses for His grace whoever He will: His bounty has no limits.” (2:104-105)

9. “They shall be held up to shame in this world and sternly punished in the hereafter” (2:114).

“Who could be more wicked than those who prohibit the mention of God’s name in His places of worship and strive to have them deserted? Such people should not enter them without fear: there is disgrace for them in this world and painful punishment in the Hereafter.” (2:114)

10. “Those to whom We [God] have given the Book, and who read it as it ought to be read, truly believe in it; those that deny it shall assuredly be lost” (2:122).

“The Jews and the Christians will never be pleased with you unless you follow their ways. Say, ‘God’s guidance is the only true guidance.’ If you were to follow their desires after the knowledge that has come to you, you would find no one to protect you from God or help you. Those to whom We have given the Scripture, who follow it as it deserves, are the ones who truly believe in it. Those who deny its truth will be the losers.” (2:120-121)

Two things to note here:
1. The person offering these things as evidence could not even be bothered to get the verse number correct.

2. Seems like we have something here pointing to a legitimate reading of Scripture, especially when the alternative translations of "follow it as it deserves" are rendered, "who read it as it ought to be read", as was provided by the verse given as evidence. So, according to the Quran, itself, we can say something like the following, "According to the Quran, the only true believers are those with a legitimate reading of the Quran. Anyone declaring themselves to be a true believer, yet illegitimately reading and interpreting the Quran, is not a true believer."

Mind explosion! The canonical text of Islam itself declares you're not a real Muslim unless you are reading the Quran legitimately. That is, we might be able to say, "Hey, ISIS ****ers, according to the Quran, you're not real Muslims and you don't really represent Islam."

Reactions: 4 people
None of these verses are in my bible. I gotta switch from the NIV, or something.

Reactions: 2 people
What the hell, let's do five more.

Convenient, because its the same block of text used to address ****ty, out-of-context #5.

What's pretty nice here is that I didn't even have to include an extra verse nor even an extra sentence. I just had to post the sentence and the verse in full. Thus far, this piece of "evidence" offered by morons is the most intellectually irresponsible. However, I doubt it will remain in such an esteemed position over the course of these 59 ****-ass, out-of-context, pieces of "evidence".

Two things to note here:
1. The person offering these things as evidence could not even be bothered to get the verse number correct.

2. Seems like we have something here pointing to a legitimate reading of Scripture, especially when the alternative translations of "follow it as it deserves" are rendered, "who read it as it ought to be read", as was provided by the verse given as evidence. So, according to the Quran, itself, we can say something like the following, "According to the Quran, the only true believers are those with a legitimate reading of the Quran. Anyone declaring themselves to be a true believer, yet illegitimately reading and interpreting the Quran, is not a true believer."

Mind explosion! The canonical text of Islam itself declares you're not a real Muslim unless you are reading the Quran legitimately. That is, we might be able to say, "Hey, ISIS ****ers, according to the Quran, you're not real Muslims and you don't really represent Islam."

The problem I have with Islam is that the Arab culture seemed to be a very productive culture before Mohammad. The sciences and mathematics and trade-they were leading the world. Since Mohammad-zip. Seems to have had a very negative impact. And, it seems wherever it spreads to it has a very negative effect on that society.

Reactions: 6 people
The problem I have with Islam is that the Arab culture seemed to be a very productive culture before Mohammad. The sciences and mathematics and trade-they were leading the world. Since Mohammad-zip. Seems to have had a very negative impact. And, it seems wherever it spreads to it has a very negative effect on that society.

This is historically inaccurate.

Great KU win over Texas, followed by a pretty boring Duke game. That, combined with the day-long snowstorm, has given me some time to post the next five on the list. So, without much further ado, here they are.

11. “[We] shall let them live awhile, and then shall drag them to the scourge of the Fire. Evil shall be their fate” (2:126).

“Abraham said, ‘My Lord, make this land secure and provide with produce those of its people who believe in God and the Last Day.’ God said, ‘As for those who disbelieve, I will grant them enjoyment for a short while and then subject them to the torment of the Fire—an evil destination.’” (2:126)

12. “The East and the West are God’s. He guides whom He will to a straight path” (2:142).

“Foolish people will say, ‘What has turned them away from the prayer direction they used to face?’ Say, ‘East and West belong to God. He guides whoever He will to the right way.’” (2:142)

13. “Do not say that those slain in the cause of God are dead. They are alive, but you are not aware of them” (2:154).

“You who believe, seek help through steadfastness and prayer, for God is with the steadfast. Do not say that those who are killed in God’s cause are dead; they are alive, though you do not realize it. We shall certainly test you with fear and hunger, and loss of property, lives, and crops. But, give good news to those who are steadfast, those who say, when afflicted with a calamity, ‘We belong to God and to Him we shall return.’ These will be given blessings and mercy from their Lord, and it is they who are rightly guided.” (2:153-157)

Or, for all the simply folk out there, "Your Pa is not gone forever, he just be up in a more better place now".

14. “But the infidels who die unbelievers shall incur the curse of God, the angels, and all men. Under it they shall remain for ever; their punishment shall not be lightened, nor shall they be reprieved” (2:162).

“Anyone who does good of his own accord will be rewarded, for God rewards good deeds, and knows everything. As for those who hide the proofs and guidance We send down, after We have made them clear to people in the Scripture, God rejects them, and so do others, unless they repent, make amends, and declare the truth. I will certainly accept their repentance: I am the Ever Relenting, the Most Merciful. As for these who disbelieve and die as disbelievers, God rejects them, as do the angels and all people. They will remain in this state of rejection: their punishment will not be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.” (2:158-162)

Does everyone understand the role of terms like "these", "such", "those"? I'd imagine these are still covered in high school English courses...unfortunately, I'm also under the (most likely not mistaken) belief that more than a handful of folks on here either ditched or slept through their English courses.

15. “They shall sigh with remorse, but shall never come out of the Fire” (2:168).

“When those who have been followed disown their followers, when they all see the suffering, when all bonds between them are severed, the followers will say, ‘If only we had one last chance, we would disown them as they now disown us.’ In this way, God will make them see their deeds as a source of bitter regret: they shall not leave the Fire. People, eat what is good and lawful from the earth, and do not follow Satan’s footsteps, for he is your sworn enemy. He always commands you to do what is evil and indecent, and to say things about God that you do not really know. But when it is said to them, ‘Follow the message that God has sent down,’ they answer, ‘We follow the ways of our fathers.’ What! Even though their fathers understood nothing and were not guided? Calling to disbelievers is like a herdsman calling to things that hear nothing but a shout and a cry: they are deaf, dumb, and blind, and they understand nothing. You who believe, eat the good things We have provided for you and be grateful to God, if it is Him that you worship. He has only forbidden you carrion, blood, pig’s meat, and animals over which any name other than God’s has been invoked. But if anyone is forced to eat such things by hunger, rather than desire or excess, he commits no sin; God is most forgiving and merciful.” (2:168-173)

1. Once again we had an incorrect verse number. No biggie.

2. Thought I'd expand this block merely to point out that the Quran doesn't tell Muslims that any contact with pork will forever stain their soul. In fact, they can eat it for no other reason than they are (very, very) hungry.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back