Hear, hear Diane Black.

Sandvol

Promoting Energy Security, Expanding States' Rights

Congressman Diane Black

Feb 16 at 7:47 AM

Promoting Energy Security, Expanding States' Rights

Dear Friends,

As we mark the celebration of President’s Day – perhaps with a day off from work or school – I hope we will each take time to reflect upon the wisdom of our earliest leaders and consider their vision for the country that they helped shape. I believe that one of our founding fathers’ greatest contributions to our society was the 10thAmendment, which declares that “the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

The 10thAmendment makes it clear that our founding fathers never desired a heavy handed, top-down federal bureaucracy that micromanages the decisions of each individual state. They believed that our states are due a certain authority of their own, and should be able to manage their affairs without always seeking a permission slip from Uncle Sam. That is the spirit of my newest piece of legislation: the Federal Land Freedom Act of 2015.

This bill, which I introduced last Wednesday, would hand over the leasing and permitting process for energy exploration on federal lands to the states – where it rightfully belongs. Today, if you want to drill for oil or natural gas on public lands, you must first consult with the powers-that-be in the Obama Administration. On paper, the process sounds simple enough but the agency has already declared 166 million acres of land restricted to energy exploration. In fact, the federal governments bans energy development on more acres of land than they allow it. So, there’s a good chance that whatever plot of land you have picked out is off limits.

What’s more, even if the BLM allows for energy development in a particular land area, don’t count on getting your permit approved any time soon. In 2014, it took an average of 227 days just to process applications for permits to drill on federal lands. This hurts efforts to achieve true energy security and risks leaving families with higher costs at the fuel pump in the process.

Our states have the tools and regional expertise necessary to regulate energy production on their own timetables and, usually, in a much more efficient manner. States are already a part of the permitting process for energy development on lands within their borders and they average only 30 days to approve their permits. According to a report from the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, some states have even approved permits in as little as 10 business days. That is why my bill puts them in the driver’s seat and returns federalism back to our national energy discussion.

I am proud to sponsor this critical states’ rights legislation and I hope my colleagues on both sides of the aisle will join with me to ensure its swift passage. In the meantime, you can learn more about the bill by clicking here .

Wishing you and yours a Happy President’s Day!

Sincerely,

Diane Black
Member of Congress

          

when most in here have been taught that states rights are racist and we must bow to the whims of the fed. if you don't believe it just ask lawgaytor.

Reactions: 1 person
when most in here have been taught that states rights are racist and we must bow to the whims of the fed. if you don't believe it just ask lawgaytor.

This country will break apart into multiple countries in the future and there will be nothing the Federal Government will be able to do about it.

Thread =

4ol2TdR.gif

Reactions: 4 people
This country will break apart into multiple countries in the future and there will be nothing the Federal Government will be able to do about it.

I think such is an inevitability and ultimately a good thing. We truly are numerous regional nations trying to function as one, and I don't think such will endure much longer.

After Hillary wins the 2016 election AND Democrats re-take the Senate plus make gains in the House, you will see A LOT of unrest in the Red States.

Individual states and similar regions need to strengthen themselves in order to wrest more control from the Federal gov't.

I think such is an inevitability and ultimately a good thing. We truly are numerous regional nations trying to function as one, and I don't think such will endure much longer.

After Hillary wins the 2016 election AND Democrats re-take the Senate plus make gains in the House, you will see A LOT of unrest in the Red States.

Individual states and similar regions need to strengthen themselves in order to wrest more control from the Federal gov't.

Hillary may win but the GOP will keep Congress. The move that will split the US into different countries is an inevitable thing no matter what.

dang they can get permits to drill on federal lands in ten days? I can't get a building permit in that amount of time even after having a face to face with the city.

She wins the presidency and it's over. The country is gone.

It's over if the election is Hillary vs Jeb. Both are political retreads and establishment cranks. Either is a massive step backwards for the country.

Write it down, the election will be Clinton vs Bush, and Hillary will win. Thus begins the end of the Union.

VN Store

Back