Hands Up Don't Shoot?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
This poor guy had been throwing rocks at cars, and luckily he didn't kill anyone. The police did everyone a favor here.

Reactions: 2 people
Guy was obviously off his marbles throwing rocks at cars, but shooting him was an absurdly disproportionate response. Especially considering it was practically point blank, and he appeared to be surrendering. That was a straight up street execution.

This deserves its own thread:

Some little migrant apple picker up in Washington threw rocks at cops so they decided the best way the 3 of them should take him down was to shoot him 13 times. It's not just that they shot him. He was fleeing. And it looks like he's turning to surrender when they unload on him.

https://news.vice.com/article/video-apparently-shows-man-with-hands-up-shot-dead-by-washington-cops

Once again the common theme here is a victim displaying an intense amount of dumbassery......any fool would know that the very least thats going to happen is a severe beat down

Guy was obviously off his marbles throwing rocks at cars, but shooting him was an absurdly disproportionate response. Especially considering it was practically point blank, and he appeared to be surrendering. That was a straight up street execution.

That's not what I saw. His hands were at his side/belt area and moving around.

I would not have fired. But I think you are going way overboard with "appearing to surrender" based on that video.

Reactions: 4 people
That's not what I saw. His hands were at his side/belt area and moving around.

I would not have fired. But I think you are going way overboard with "appearing to surrender" based on that video.

Even if he was not surrendering, I don't see anything he did that should threaten the officers so much that they had to unload on him at point blank range.

Endangering the public, damaging personal property, resisting arrest = DA. if you don't want stupid stuff to happen to you, getting shot by the cops, don't put yourself in stupid situations, my first sentence. I don't feel sorry for the guy, while excessive, the cops seem justified- fugitive was escaping.

Even if he was not surrendering, I don't see anything he did that should threaten the officers so much that they had to unload on him at point blank range.

I wouldn't call that point blank range, close range certainly, but not point blank. quit blowing stuff out of proportion.

Endangering the public, damaging personal property, resisting arrest = DA. if you don't want stupid stuff to happen to you, getting shot by the cops, don't put yourself in stupid situations, my first sentence. I don't feel sorry for the guy, while excessive, the cops seem justified- fugitive was escaping.

Is that what justified the shooting?

Also, I would not consider him to be escaping in the moments before he was shot.

Looked like he was fumbling with something that could've been a gun

He didn't have anything. Looks to me like he was running for his life and got executed by 3 government thugs. Good thing they established order at all costs.

Reactions: 1 person
Honest answer to this problem:

Increase standards for becoming a cop. Increase pay to attract better candidates.

It's the same problem the military has. The military gives guns to people that score a 30 on a multiple choice test. That's why I'm never shocked when I hear about our troops doing horrific things in Afgahnistan

Looked like he was fumbling with something that could've been a gun

If you watch, the officers have their guns down ... until the moment where he turns around and his hands are moving around like that. That's when their guns come up and they fire.

Don't get confused between him turning out after the fact to be unarmed, with what the officers could reasonably have feared as things unfolded.

Its a shame, it really is. And it should be carefully looked into and evaluated. But don't jump to too many conclusions based on just this as it is not as you are characterizing it.

Reactions: 3 people

I was with you until here. There is no justification.

To me it looks like 3 cops who wanted any excuse to shoot someone.

I was with you until here. There is no justification.

To me it looks like 3 cops who wanted any excuse to shoot someone.

did all three shoot? I only saw one, but i will rewatch (the one with the flash light) if they wanted to shoot like you are saying why not do it on the other side of the street?

Agreed. Any act by a citizen should be meet with deadly force. From running a stop sign, to not having cash at a toll booth.

running from the cop makes a dumb decision much much worse, never do that. though i am hesitant to use this analogy because i know the cop haters will take it and run with it, think of a predator vs prey reaction. keep your calm and the predator will walk right past you, run away/react and suddenly you become a target. point i am trying to make is the cops are reacting to the guys action (running away) while their reaction (killing the guy) would never have been necessary if he hadn't ran. in that situation the guy has forced the cops to react.

I wish cops would stop blowing altercations out of proportion and taking lethal measures prematurely.

What's the fun in that? Plus they don't get to learn the secret handshake until they off someone.

VN Store

Back