Missed Opportunity by Boehner and the GOP

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Boehner raises possibility of Homeland Security shutdown | The Miami Herald The Miami Herald

WASHINGTON
House Speaker John Boehner is raising the possibility that the Department of Homeland Security may shut down at month’s end because of a budget impasse, and blaming Senate Democrats if that happens.

Democrats responded by saying responsibility would fall on the Ohio Republican and the country would suffer from the needless closing of vital part of government.

The GOP is missing a golden opportunity to actually take credit for the shutdown of DHS and lead them to big victories in 2016.

Reactions: 4 people
This the GOP's chance to shutdown at least one govt agency. They have been talking off and on for 30+ years about shutting down the Department of Education and/or Department of Energy. They could take advantage of this situation and actually show that they are the party for smaller govt and shut down the DHS and bring (some) freedom back to the USA.

I thought the complaint was that the current administration is not sufficiently protecting us from terrorists. Now the GOP wants to shut down the DHS?

Seems ..... inconsistent.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought the complaint was that the current administration is not sufficiently protecting us from terrorists. Now the GOP wants to shut down the DHS?

That's not the complaint. The complaint is the DHS is violating privacy rights in the name of "security."

Shut 'em down.

That's not the complaint. The complaint is the DHS is violating privacy rights in the name of "security."

Shut 'em down.

Like about 75% of all .gov agencies it should be privatized. At least part of it anyway. The oversight portion should remain, but the actual grunt work should be privatized and paid for as it is used. Swipe your AmEx when you go thru the magnetometer at the airport.

Awww poor little democrats. They are out of power and are getting the blame for not getting anything done. So cute! I hope they choke on their own medicine.

They aren't since they're out creating more every day. They do it so there's always someone to fight.
Of course that's easy when you claim to be fighting an idea with guns and bombs. How Bush did it too

DHS is simply a redundant dept created using fear. Shutting it down would have a positive effect on our safety

Do you really think we needed an additional Cabinet at the Federal level?

Awww poor little democrats. They are out of power and are getting the blame for not getting anything done. So cute! I hope they choke on their own medicine.

They are getting the blame?

Someone is buying into the Boehner reconstructionist history a little too much.

Boehner is a RINO shiitehead. I wish House Republicans would get the balls one day to toss him out on his arse.

Reactions: 1 person
DHS was created by....?

As a result of 9/11. duuuuh. But my point is that now that yet another .gov agency is in existence... that keeps people dependent... the libs won't move one solitary inch to get rid of it. That's what I was talking about.

As a result of 9/11. duuuuh. But my point is that now that yet another .gov agency is in existence... that keeps people dependent... the libs won't move one solitary inch to get rid of it. That's what I was talking about.

Should it matter why it was created? Using 9/11 as a reason to increase the size of govt is still a weak excuse. DHS was obsolete from the start

The Republicans sure got punished at the polls for the last government shutdown. Oh, wait.

There won't be a shutdown of the entire government, or even all of DHS. But its hard to reconcile why we should not be doing everything we can to prevent terrorism on our own soil based on a GOP desire to roll back the executive order version of the Dream Act. The two are only very loosely related, and the GOP hanging up one over the other seems pretty desperate on their part to find some way to appease the TPers.

I suspect Boehner is doing that at this point just to keep them at bay, realizing that down the road here fairly shortly he will have to relent and take that out of the bill. My guess is a lot of fire and brimstone speeches, followed by a continuing resolution at the 11th hour to keep it funded, punting the actual bill about 60-90 days down the road, and then very quietly it comes out of the actual bill.

Everyone can go home and tell the knuckledraggers that they tried, that they voted to tie them together, and blame some amorphous enemy that they couldn't get it done, but by golly if they are reelected and win the WH, they'll roll back all of Obama's crap, including the ACA, immigration reform, yada yada. Send a check to ....

There won't be a shutdown of the entire government, or even all of DHS. But its hard to reconcile why we should not be doing everything we can to prevent terrorism on our own soil based on a GOP desire to roll back the executive order version of the Dream Act. The two are only very loosely related, and the GOP hanging up one over the other seems pretty desperate on their part to find some way to appease the TPers.

I suspect Boehner is doing that at this point just to keep them at bay, realizing that down the road here fairly shortly he will have to relent and take that out of the bill. My guess is a lot of fire and brimstone speeches, followed by a continuing resolution at the 11th hour to keep it funded, punting the actual bill about 60-90 days down the road, and then very quietly it comes out of the actual bill.

Everyone can go home and tell the knuckledraggers that they tried, that they voted to tie them together, and blame some amorphous enemy that they couldn't get it done, but by golly if they are reelected and win the WH, they'll roll back all of Obama's crap, including the ACA, immigration reform, yada yada. Send a check to ....

Sadly, this is where we agree.

But its hard to reconcile why we should not be doing everything we can to prevent terrorism on our own soil

Can easily be done without DHS. You're ridiculous reasoning is no different than those you vilify. I'm not even sure you understand what the talking points should be anymore.

VN Store

Back