Jon Stewart

I agree, but it does point out the problem in blurring the line between journalism and entertainment which has become epidemic.

I think one's first clue that you aren't looking at actual news is the channel the show is broadcast on. If the channel's name is something like "Comedy Central", you might not want to take any "reporters" therein too seriously.

Now, if the channel were named something like "Johnson's News Channel", you might expect to hold them to a little higher standard.

Reactions: 5 people
I agree, but it does point out the problem in blurring the line between journalism and entertainment which has become epidemic.

True, but at least he's funny. His archnemesis, O'Reilly, blurs the same lines and isn't even funny in the process.

Reactions: 8 people
At least they are upfront about what they are doing. The talking heads at Fox News and MSNBC especially try to pass as serious new discussion but I fail to see how they are better.

Reactions: 4 people
......College students, of course, are both little acquainted with realities of adult existence and walled off from conservative views, so they’re the perfect audience for Stewart’s shtick, which depends on assumptions that are as unquestioned as they are false.

Classic

Reactions: 1 person
I hope that after leaving the daily show, Stewart has more free time to educate papa bear.

.......There is a serious case to be made against the Iraq War, but it’s a lot more complicated than the playground taunt, “Bush lied about WMDs.

How many times have you heard a liberal pansy make this comment?......Bush lied.... Blah blah blah

.......There is a serious case to be made against the Iraq War, but it’s a lot more complicated than the playground taunt, “Bush lied about WMDs.

How many times have you heard a liberal pansy make this comment?......Bush lied.... Blah blah blah

He did abuse his powers to manipulate the media and the majority of his administration did lie on national TV about a "news article" that they had manufactured

Reactions: 6 people
......College students, of course, are both little acquainted with realities of adult existence and walled off from conservative views, so they’re the perfect audience for Stewart’s shtick, which depends on assumptions that are as unquestioned as they are false.

Classic

A video or two of college students yelling at pro-Israeli students on a campus somewhere does not mean that the majority of college students are "raging liberals."

I would wager that the majority of my students are actually social conservatives. It's clear as day that hardly any of them, conservative or liberal, ever watch the news or read news articles (or even care about anything beyond petty social relationships and video games), but you can rest safe at night knowing that this ignorance is still on your side for the most part.

You're still in good hands.

Reactions: 4 people
He did abuse his powers to manipulate the media and the majority of his administration did lie on national TV about a "news article" that they had manufactured

Typical liberal response ......not shocked

The National Intelligence Estimate delivered to the Senate and President Bush said there was a 90 percent certainty of WMDs. Democrat George Tenet, the Clinton CIA director who continued to serve under Bush, said the case for WMDs was a “slam dunk.”
John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Harry Reid and Joe Biden all looked at the intelligence and voted to authorize force. Sen. Jay Rockefeller argued strongly for the war. Then, years later, when it wasn’t going so well, he published a highly politicized report ripping Bush.

Reactions: 6 people
Typical liberal response ......not shocked

The National Intelligence Estimate delivered to the Senate and President Bush said there was a 90 percent certainty of WMDs. Democrat George Tenet, the Clinton CIA director who continued to serve under Bush, said the case for WMDs was a “slam dunk.”
John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Harry Reid and Joe Biden all looked at the intelligence and voted to authorize force. Sen. Jay Rockefeller argued strongly for the war. Then, years later, when it wasn’t going so well, he published a highly politicized report ripping Bush.

I like how you simply ignore the two facts I present, and then go on a tangent about something entirely different.

Good work.

Reactions: 7 people
A video or two of college students yelling at pro-Israeli students on a campus somewhere does not mean that the majority of college students are "raging liberals."

I would wager that the majority of my students are actually social conservatives. It's clear as day that hardly any of them, conservative or liberal, ever watch the news or read news articles (or even care about anything beyond petty social relationships and video games), but you can rest safe at night knowing that this ignorance is still on your side for the most part.

You're still in good hands.

I just found that comment a little humorous considering the age and viewpoints of some of the posters here.

I like how you simply ignore the two facts I present, and then go on a tangent about something entirely different.

Good work.

Two facts? What are are you referring to..... The comment about the manipulated news story and the admin lying?

Like his jokes are any more misleading than the way the news is reported by the MSM...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

How many times did Limbaugh and others like him try to link Hussein to 9/11 and WMDs? And then later claim it had nothing to do with either?

Reactions: 3 people
Two facts? What are are you referring to..... The comment about the manipulated news story and the admin lying?

The use of VNRs and the lies made on national TV about the illuminum tubes. The administration intentionally leaked intelligence about the purchase of the tubes and proclaimed they were going to be used to make nuclear weapons. Chancey, Rice, Powell, Rumsfield, and Richard Myers all went on national tv to proclaim that this proved Iraq was making nuclear weapons.

Despite the fact that the most common use for the tubes that were purchased was for making basic 81 mm rockets.

Reactions: 3 people
At least they are upfront about what they are doing. The talking heads at Fox News and MSNBC especially try to pass as serious new discussion but I fail to see how they are better.

Exactly, Stewart has never called himself a journalist or his show "news". His detractors are the ones giving him legitimacy because he's too good at clowning their hypocrisy.

Wasn't there a study done that showed the participants that watched his comedy show scored significantly higher than those who got their info on world event from Fox?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back