Minority Rule?

volinbham

VN GURU
So on the news last night they announced a property tax increase passed for Birmingham city by a margin of 75 to 25.

Sounds like a huge majority in favor but the kicker is that voter turn out was less than 6%!

It got me thinking that because of poor voter participation in this country we are actually a minority rule country.

Sure the majority of those who vote win the day but that group is rarely a majority of eligible voters.

In the end, it doesn't take that big a group of people to effect change due to the apathy of the voting public at large.

(BTW - I'm not complaining about the tax vote; just musing about the larger implications).

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
I've thought this for a while. If you want something to pass then make sure to uncouple it from any real election and get your people to the polls.

I've fought the city on property tax stuff and it's not fun once they dig in. They act like you're talking money from their personal paycheck

I've thought this for a while. If you want something to pass then make sure to uncouple it from any real election and get your people to the polls.

I've fought the city on property tax stuff and it's not fun once they dig in. They act like you're talking money from their personal paycheck

where do you think the first dollars go?

Honestly, it's probably for the best that the majority of Americans don't vote on issues like this. It means that the folks who showed up actually care about the issue and maybe looked into it a little before entering the voting booth.

If the percentage of intelligent, informed voters goes up while the percentage of total voters goes down, I don't really have a problem with that.

So on the news last night they announced a property tax increase passed for Birmingham city by a margin of 75 to 25.

Sounds like a huge majority in favor but the kicker is that voter turn out was less than 6%!

It got me thinking that because of poor voter participation in this country we are actually a minority rule country.

Sure the majority of those who vote win the day but that group is rarely a majority of eligible voters.

In the end, it doesn't take that big a group of people to effect change due to the apathy of the voting public at large.

(BTW - I'm not complaining about the tax vote; just musing about the larger implications).

Thoughts?

If we as a country valued the vote, elections would be scheduled on weekends outside of football season.

Yep - ask UAB students, faculty and alumni how little votes mean...

I was talking to my orthopedic doc the other day who, like me, is a UAB grad. We're both sickened by Ray Watts and are subsequently voting no confidence in our alma mater with our wallets; in fact my phone has already started ringing. I'm guessing they're wondering if I've misplaced the return envelope for Give Something, Change Everything campaign.

I was talking to my orthopedic doc the other day who, like me, is a UAB grad. We're both sickened by Ray Watts and are subsequently voting no confidence in our alma mater with our wallets; in fact my phone has already started ringing. I'm guessing they're wondering if I've misplaced the return envelope for Give Something, Change Everything campaign.

I guess everyone remembers the monthly envelope filled with loose change :p

Honestly, it's probably for the best that the majority of Americans don't vote on issues like this. It means that the folks who showed up actually care about the issue and maybe looked into it a little before entering the voting booth.

If the percentage of intelligent, informed voters goes up while the percentage of total voters goes down, I don't really have a problem with that.

Could also be the people with the most to lose. Those whose paychecks rely on property taxes. Not sure that's the best thing either. People are always anxious to vote themselves more money.

Could also be the people with the most to lose. Those whose paychecks rely on property taxes. Not sure that's the best thing either. People are always anxious to vote themselves more money.

While this may be true, if one doesn't take the time to figure out that a property tax increase is on the ballot, or doesn't care enough, then the fact that such a person doesn't vote won't make me lose any sleep.

VN Store

Back