Marijuana Is Not Linked to Car Crashes

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Well, there goes the last of the legitimate concerns anybody could have about marijuana legalization:

The study included more than 3,000 drivers who were involved in crashes during a 20-month period in Virginia Beach, Virginia, plus 6,000 controls who drove in the same area during the same period but did not get into accidents. As usual, the study found that alcohol use was strongly correlated with crash risk. After adjustment for confounding, the crash risk for drivers with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 percent was twice the crash risk for sober drivers; it was six times as high for drivers with a BAC of 0.10 percent and 12 times as high at a BAC of 0.15 percent. But the picture for marijuana was quite different.

Over all, drivers who tested positive for active THC were 25 percent more likely to be involved in crashes. But once the researchers took sex, age, and race/ethnicity into account, the risk ratio shrank from 1.25 to 1.05 and was no longer statistically significant:

"This analysis shows that the significant increased risk of crash involvement associated with THC and illegal drugs...is not found after adjusting for these demographic variables. This finding suggests that these demographic variables may have co-varied with drug use and accounted for most of the increased crash risk. For example, if the THC-positive drivers were predominantly young males, their apparent crash risk may have been related to age and gender rather than use of THC."

For decades and decades the government has wasted money and ruined lives for no good reason.

Landmark Study Finds Marijuana Is Not Linked to Car Crashes - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Reactions: 1 person
Booze, weed, no biggies..its the texting that gets ya.

In Orlando we have a hit and run or pedestrian death DAILY (usually multiples) because of booze/texting. Kids have been the recent recipients of the ol' hit n run.

Booze, weed, no biggies..its the texting that gets ya

Isn't that the truth.

Cars should have a mechanism that disables most of the functions on a driver's cell phone. I think that is reasonable at this point.

Last edited:
Ignorance is marijuanas staunchest opponent right now due to misinformation and government propaganda since the war on drugs

This surprises no one. Except for those that haven't smoked.

The people most concerned about not legalizing weed tend to come off to me as being too concerned about what happens to a pot smoker.

"They will be lazy at work!" Ok so fire them

"They will be on welfare" Ok so their lives will suck.

Too many conservatives worry about other people than themselves. I guess its called compassion or something to do with Jesus but man life gets WAY easier when you look out for #1.

Booze, weed, no biggies..its the texting that gets ya.

In Orlando we have a hit and run or pedestrian death DAILY (usually multiples) because of booze/texting. Kids have been the recent recipients of the ol' hit n run.

Did you read it? It said BAC minimum makes you 2x as likely to get in an accident. I'm surprised it's that high.

Did you read it? It said BAC minimum makes you 2x as likely to get in an accident. I'm surprised it's that high.

Yeah i read it. I can see having a nice buzz maybe making you a little less defensive when driving. But I've read that texting and driving makes you like 23x more likely to have a crash. 1/4 of all wrecks were caused by cell phones.

And all of the times I drove while high off pot I ended up driving slow as hell. I remember going down 640 at like 25 mph and my friends were worried we would get pulled over for going to slow. Back in my teen years of course.

Yeah i read it. I can see having a nice buzz maybe making you a little less defensive when driving. But I've read that texting and driving makes you like 23x more likely to have a crash. 1/4 of all wrecks were caused by cell phones.

And all of the times I drove while high off pot I ended up driving slow as hell. I remember going down 640 at like 25 mph and my friends were worried we would get pulled over for going to slow. Back in my teen years of course.

Do you have a link? I hate that they've added laws against texting and driving. Laws often don't do anything, and in this case may have made things worse. I think education is totally the way to go. It sounds silly, but it seems it works. The Truth anti-tobacco campaign is strongly correlated with a big decrease in tobacco use. I used to text and drive, and was convinced by PSAs. If that 23x number is right, it needs to be told to the world.

Great news. I don't do either.

But I save countless lives daily, not to mention property damage.

Old people, texting, and folks rolling a joint are what I deal with daily. I'm about to the point of putting them in the ditch and collecting the insurance money.

?

You are the least scientific person on VN. Can't wait to hear this.

Since young men are statistically more prone to have accidents we'll disregard them even if statistically they are more prone to test positive for THC. Yeah that makes sense! Lol

Since young men are statistically more prone to have accidents we'll disregard them even if statistically they are more prone to test positive for THC. Yeah that makes sense! Lol

This is probably the first time I've ever seen you bring anything of worth to one of these discussions. I have to agree that just excluding that subset of test subjects is kind of, well, not right.

Regardless, I think that we will see a large movement toward legalizing once there is a way that it can be proven that a driver was high at the time of operating a vehicle. Right now all you can tell is that a driver smoked in the last thirty days. That doesn't mean the driver was high at the time whatsoever! In my eye, that's a big blocker atm.

This is probably the first time I've ever seen you bring anything of worth to one of these discussions. I have to agree that just excluding that subset of test subjects is kind of, well, not right.

Regardless, I think that we will see a large movement toward legalizing once there is a way that it can be proven that a driver was high at the time of operating a vehicle. Right now all you can tell is that a driver smoked in the last thirty days. That doesn't mean the driver was high at the time whatsoever! In my eye, that's a big blocker atm.

They also said that it's hard to base impairment on levels consumption of weed from person to person. How is that a positive? Yet every person with a BAC of .08 is stone cold drunk.

VN Store

Back