NYPD's Had It with Being Goon Tax Collectors

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
So many fun things can be concluded from this story:

For the past two weeks, the NYPD has drastically scaled back law enforcement. Criminal summonses and traffic tickets are down more than 90 percent from this time last year. In many precincts, the weekly tally of criminal infractions was near zero. Union leaders deny an organized movement. But the drop is viewed by many as a protest against Mayor Bill de Blasio and his perceived lack of support for police.

This apparent effort is costing the city a lot of money. Court, criminal and administrative fines contribute some $800 million to the city’s annual budget, according the New York Office of Management and Budget’s projections. To put that in perspective, the cigarette tax will bring in about $52 million a year; hotel taxes generate roughly $547 million; and commercial rent tax will supply $720 million.

Last year, during New Years’ week, the NYPD handed out more than 16,000 parking tickets. This year, it distributed fewer than 2,000, a 93 percent drop-off.

Still, it’s a good reminder that too often, cities rely on parking and traffic tickets for their revenue. According to The Washington Post, some communities in Missouri draw as much as 30 percent of their revenue from these sources. These fines fall disproportionately on poor, non-white people.

The NYPD’s work stoppage is costing the city lots of money. That’s great for New Yorkers. - The Washington Post

Reactions: 3 people
What does skin color have to do with it? Why is it even mentioned? Oh, I forgot....the agenda and all

Because they are talking about a tax that disproportionately affects a certain class. It's an interesting detail. Maybe an inconvenient detail for some.

A lot of people try to act like poor blacks don't fund government. I don't see a problem with pointing out that in this instance, they do. It's a lesson on hidden taxes.

Reactions: 2 people
Because they are talking about a tax that disproportionately affects a certain class. It's an interesting detail. Maybe an inconvenient detail for some.

A lot of people try to act like poor blacks don't fund government. I don't see a problem with pointing out that in this instance, they do. It's a lesson on hidden taxes.

So does income tax.

So does income tax.

So does social security tax (it hits blue collar workers the hardest). The GOP thinks its class warfare against the wealthy and middle class, but the truth is everyone is getting raped, and we're all stupid for putting ourselves in groups so that we can fight each other, rather than our oppressive tax masters.

Reactions: 4 people
So does social security tax (it hits blue collar workers the hardest). The GOP thinks its class warfare against the wealthy and middle class, but the truth is everyone is getting raped, and we're all stupid for putting ourselves in groups so that we can fight each other, rather than our oppressive tax masters.

Tax masters and everyone else is one and the same. In every decision there's gonna be people happy and people who aren't happy. If you don't contribute you shouldn't have a say to begin with.

Reactions: 1 person

And that my fellow vols is the truth behind our two party system. Great post, and now we take you back to your regular scheduled programs. Liberals suck!

Maybe they shouldn't park illegally or speed......

Its not an inconvenient detail to me, just race baiting babble.

Reactions: 4 people
had me until this

I was surprised when i learned about this a few years back. My daughter went to NYU. When she lived up in Spanish Harlem tickets were handed out pretty frequently. Later when she lived in a more upscale neighborhood there was a distinct drop off. You could argue that people in the lower area just acted worse, hence more citations but it didn't look like that to me. I think the people in the upscale neighborhood just had more political clout and used it m

I was surprised when i learned about this a few years back. My daughter went to NYU. When she lived up in Spanish Harlem tickets were handed out pretty frequently. Later when she lived in a more upscale neighborhood there was a distinct drop off. You could argue that people in the lower area just acted worse, hence more citations but it didn't look like that to me. I think the people in the upscale neighborhood just had more political clout and used it m

You don't say? Kinda like our whole justice system and tax system. I wonder why evertone is finally getting tired of it? Just jealous race baitors nothing more nothing less.

Ding ding ding.

Whether it's traffic citations or drug charges, the poor are the easy marks.

Ding ding ding.

Whether it's traffic citations or drug charges, the poor are the easy marks.

Easy marks? Whether you deem something to be a crime or not doesn't make possession or distribution of drugs legal or driving with no insurance. Why would you assign more law enforcement to low crime areas and less law enforcement to higher crime areas? If crime statistics show a correlation to income and employment levels or a certain racial group I think that might be a large part of the issue.

Easy marks? Whether you deem something to be a crime or not doesn't make possession or distribution of drugs legal or driving with no insurance. Why would you assign more law enforcement to low crime areas and less law enforcement to higher crime areas? If crime statistics show a correlation to income and employment levels or a certain racial group I think that might be a large part of the issue.

Whether or not it's good police work is a different debate. It doesn't change the fact that this hidden tax disproportionately hits people in poor areas.

If I speed in a rich neighborhood or I speed in a poor neighborhood, the crime is equal, but if I am poor I am more likely to pay for this crime. There is nothing fair about that.

Whether or not it's good police work is a different debate. It doesn't change the fact that this hidden tax disproportionately hits people in poor areas.

If I speed in a rich neighborhood or I speed in a poor neighborhood, the crime is equal, but if I am poor I am more likely to pay for this crime. There is nothing fair about that.

There is not a system that could be created that would change that......

VN Store

Back