FDA lifts ban on gay blood donors

BartW

Gold Member
...sort of

FDA to propose altering ban on gay and bisexual men who want to donate blood

The Food and Drug Administration plans to lift its lifetime ban on blood donation for men who have had sex with other men, and will propose replacing it with a one-year ban after homosexual activity, the agency announced Tuesday.

Gay rights groups, which have long advocated a change to the ban, largely decried the announcement, saying that expecting gay blood donors to remain celibate for a year is not reasonable or medically necessary.

Others were heartened by the relaxation of a long-criticized ban. “This is a very good next step in a process that began in the early 1980s,” said Jay Menitove, who chaired a federal advisory committee that recommended the change.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said, “There’s no doubt about it, that any way that you can safely add to the pool of donors to counter this chronic shortage of blood is a good thing.”

The recommended change could increase the U.S. blood supply by 2 percent, researchers said.

Since 1983, the FDA has banned any man from donating blood if he has had sex with another man, even one time, since 1977. The policy was instituted in the early days of the AIDS crisis, when little was known about HIV and fears were rising of a virus transmitted among gay and bisexual men.

As tests for HIV in donated blood became standard, calls for the FDA to lift the ban increased. Last year, the American Medical Association called for a change; one board member called the ban “discriminatory.”

Peter Marks, deputy director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said in a telephone call with reporters Tuesday that the FDA would draft the new guidelines early next year and then revise them after a public comment period. He said he could not confirm whether the new rules would go into effect next year.

Marks also said the FDA’s study of the issue led it to conclude that gay men should be allowed to donate blood only if they have been abstinent for one year.

“At this time, the scientific evidence is not compelling that we can change to anything less than a one-year deferral and still maintain the current level of safety of the blood supply,” he said.

Gay rights groups challenged that statement Tuesday. They said tests can reliably detect HIV in the blood within much less than a year of infection, so imposing a longer ban is unnecessary.

Tbh I didn't know this was a thing. Good move? FDA overreach? Rah rah gay agenda?

I'll hang up and listen

This latest deal is asinine. They're saying your blood is okay as long as you're not actively gay, if you are gay-lite. How do they propose to validate celibacy? When the ban was instituted it made a lot of sense. Today? Not as much. If you truly are concerned about active gay men giving blood then leave the full ban in place. Why introduce any alleged risk for a 2% increase in supply? Never mind the closeted folks, drug users and heterosexuals engaging in risky sexual activity who can donate. I guess the HIV screening tests work just fine for those folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Just keep it banned if you're going to impose conditions. If they think conditions are still required because of an active risk then they should not bother changing any policy.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm with you. I didn't know this was even a thing and seems super effing retarded.

I take it that u have not given blood in awhile.....they ask u that question every time u give......they also ask u how many sexual partners and if u have been with any prostitutes.....it has nothing to do with being gay but the fact that it puts the person in a high risk category for blood-borne diseases.

I take it that u have not given blood in awhile.....they ask u that question every time u give......they also ask u how many sexual partners and if u have been with any prostitutes.....it has nothing to do with being gay but the fact that it puts the person in a high risk category for blood-borne diseases.

This. Truth. The practice has been adopted for decades.

I've actually never given blood. Sounds lame but I have a phobia of needles I've never quite gotten over. My BP rises too much when they take it.

I've actually never given blood. Sounds lame but I have a phobia of needles I've never quite gotten over. My BP rises too much when they take it.

I kinda like needles, donating, getting shots. I gotta watch the needles go in. I think that's weirder than a phobia. Ha

One of them will be infinitely more fabulous; that's a certainty.

858179928_gay_zombies_motivational_poster_xlarge.jpeg

This latest deal is asinine. They're saying your blood is okay as long as you're not actively gay, if you are gay-lite. How do they propose to validate celibacy? When the ban was instituted it made a lot of sense. Today? Not as much. If you truly are concerned about active gay men giving blood then leave the full ban in place. Why introduce any alleged risk for a 2% increase in supply? Never mind the closeted folks, drug users and heterosexuals engaging in risky sexual activity who can donate. I guess the HIV screening tests work just fine for those folks.

Lol :eek:lol: 50 shades of gay

I would hope that blood is tested after being withdrawn...It shouldn't matter who is giving it as long as its free of disease.

I had malaria once upon a time..pretty sure I can't ever donate blood.

I would hope that blood is tested after being withdrawn...It shouldn't matter who is giving it as long as its free of disease.

That's what I've been told.

I think they do test blood. A guy at work gave blood one time and they notified him something wasn't right. Come to find out he had leukemia and luckily it was caught in time.

Exactly. They test all the blood before making available for use. Either you trust the HIV screening tests used today or you don't. I completely understand mitigating risk, so if gay donors truly do pose additional risk for whatever reason then leave the full ban in place.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back