UVA Rape Hoax

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Anybody following this story? Surprised there is no thread about it. It's getting juicier and juicier. The victim made up names and phone numbers of her assailants. This is crazy

She's really made Rolling Stone magazine look silly.

We now know the "real" given name of Jackie's date on the evening of her alleged rape, September 28, 2012: Haven Monahan. Jackie claimed that Monahan was an older student who had taken an interest in her. Prior to September 28th, Duffin, Stock, and Hendley had pressed Jackie for details about this mysterious love interest. She gave them several different cell phone numbers for Monahan, and they corresponded with him. He eventually sent a picture of himself. Many of his messages contained not-so-subtle hints that Jackie had (unrequited) feelings for Duffin.

We now know that no one named Haven Monahan attended UVA. The phone numbers aren't even real—they redirect back to an internet service that allows people to send texts without having actual phone numbers. And the picture is of a former high school acquaintance of Jackie's who never attended UVA and spent no time in Charlottesville that year.

This strongly implies, of course, that Jackie sent the messages herself.

More Bad News for Rolling Stone: Jackie Used Dummy Texting Service, Sent Email to Crush Implying Drastic Measures - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Not to mention details about the frat's house she alleges she was raped in don't line up, at all, with how she described it.

She sold a story about rape at a prominent University and Rolling Stone was more than willing to jump on it without questioning the story or fact-checking on their own.

Rolling Stone made themselves look silly.

Rolling Stone is going to get the poop sued out of them by that fraternity and anyone mentioned in that article. They ran with that story because they wanted it to be true.

Frat dudes are going to win big. Also she said the boy wrote her a love letter and it was forged from Dawson's Creek. Chick is cray-cray

Rolling Stone is going to get the poop sued out of them by that fraternity and anyone mentioned in that article. They ran with that story because they wanted it to be true.

The writer actively shopped for rape stories around various campuses. Turning down legitimate rape stories b/c they didn't fit her narrative

I hope those frat dudes win millions

The writer actively shopped for rape stories around various campuses. Turning down legitimate rape stories b/c they didn't fit her narrative

I hope those frat dudes win millions

I hope the writer of the article and the girl with the story serve time in jail. It's nonsense like this that make people doubt rape claims.

Couple this with Lena Dunham's fraudulent story about her rape at the hands of a "campus conservative" and you have a pattern.

Reactions: 3 people
Couple this with Lena Dunham's fraudulent story about her rape at the hands of a "campus conservative" and you have a pattern.

Not to mention that wretched hive of scum and villainy openly admitted to sexually abusing her younger sister.

But that's just the patriarchy trying to derail her that totally happened story about how the one conservative on an extremely liberal campus targeted her.

Reactions: 1 person
Not to mention details about the frat's house she alleges she was raped in don't line up, at all, with how she described it.

She sold a story about rape at a prominent University and Rolling Stone was more than willing to jump on it without questioning the story or fact-checking on their own.

Rolling Stone made themselves look silly.

And the University president didn't question it either and immediately suspended all Greek life and even Considered shutting down that frat permanently.

I've seen where social justice warriors online have been saying that even if she was lying she did good by getting the conversation going. Unknowing to them this doesn't get the right conversation going but that might be my male privilege talking and the patriarchy is keeping them down.

First off, anyone who would use Rolling Stone as a reliable source of information is asking for it to begin with. It's almost as bad...probably worse than MSNBC for taking things out of context and telling an extremely slanted story.

But honestly I haven't followed it as much as I could have since it was outed as a hoax a couple of weeks ago. But you are correct, they are basically digging themselves into a deep hole.

Reactions: 2 people
The writer?...seriously?

Perhaps not to jail. But journalists (and I do use that term loosely in this situation) do have an obligation to do a bit of fact checking on their end before putting out an article that's likely going to ignite a firestorm.

Firing would certainly not be out of the question with me if I was running things. Along with her editor.

Yeah, she definitely needs to face consequences, but jail time is stupid, IMO. First of all, it's costly to society. I'd much rather see her fined and obviously her reputation is forever tarnished. She'll probably have a tenacious group of people that follow her forever, but in the national eye, she'll always be seen as a joke.

Yeah, she definitely needs to face consequences, but jail time is stupid, IMO. First of all, it's costly to society. I'd much rather see her fined and obviously her reputation is forever tarnished. She'll probably have a tenacious group of people that follow her forever, but in the national eye, she'll always be seen as a joke.

No. She needs jail time.

Cause society needs to be protected from her. And because we think jail is the answer for every behavior we want to discourage.

It's no wonder our prison population is biggest in the world.

She needs to be made an example of. A false narrative of this magnitude is not a victimless crime. It's harmful to anyone who has seriously been put in that position. A fine is not harsh enough no matter the cost.

She needs to be made an example of. A false narrative of this magnitude is not a victimless crime. It's harmful to anyone who has seriously been put in that position. A fine is not harsh enough no matter the cost.

The most you can prove is that she was duped. That doesn't warrant jail time.

The most you can prove is that she was duped. That doesn't warrant jail time.

I'm speaking of the girl. The writer doesn't need jail time. A nice negligence suit and a firing would do nicely. Sorry. We aren't on the same page. I read things wrong. My apologies. :hi:

What are you talking about? That article will be put up for the Pulitzer and she will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I'm speaking of the girl. The writer doesn't need jail time. A nice negligence suit and a firing would do nicely. Sorry. We aren't on the same page. I read things wrong. My apologies. :hi:

Totally with you on the "victim".

This story illuminates everything you need to know about "journalism" nowadays.

VN Store

Back