Premiere of "The Interview" cancelled

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
Sony hackers threaten moviegoers with terrorist acts - Dec. 16, 2014

New York premiere of 'The Interview' canceled | Fox News

The premiere of Seth Rogen and James Franco’s comedy “The Interview” in New York has been canceled in the wake of a message sent by the Sony hackers that threatened a 9/11-style attack on theaters showing the film.

In a message emailed to various reporters and accompanying the latest in a series of leaks that have included employee emails, health and financial information, the hackers who call themselves "Guardians of Peace" sent a grim warning to people planning to attend screenings of "The Interview," even warning people who live near cinemas to leave home, according to a report from Variety.

Sounds like a bunch of kids, but I do hope they track them down.

It does but they seem like pretty tech savvy kids. My guess is they are caught and end up making a deal with Sony to make a movie about the whole thing.

Reactions: 1 person
The fear of a terrorist plot over a movie should make no difference in this situation. It's a comedy, right? This movie will probably be a big flop anyway. Besides, what age group is this movie a target to? Hackers should just relax & take a long walk on a short pier.

Last edited:
The fear of a terrorist plot over a movie should make no difference in this situation. It's a comedy, right? This movie will probably be a big flop anyway. Besides, what age group is this movie a target to? Hackers should just relax & take a long walk on a short pier.

Not now. The press it's received has made people want to watch it to see what the uproar is about.

This could be the beginng of the age of corporate terrorism. Also, If the bad guys can hack into our utilities, they can paralyze our nation!

Reactions: 2 people
This could be the beginng of the age of corporate terrorism. Also, If the bad guys can hack into our utilities, they can paralyze our nation!

Well, there was a story a few weeks back in a major publication that said most of our infrastructure had Russian and Chinese malware infections in it, and they were trying to find ways to remove it. Someday, they can shut all our stuff down and it will be too late to do anything. They don't need to launch EMP's when they can knock all of our power grids offline. It would take months to years to fix the damage.

But back to this story: these aren't kids like the anonymous guys pulling this off. This being backed by a nation. The FBI has yet to be able to track where the attack came from, and has so far said it's an incredibly advanced attack that has done an amazing job hiding its country of origin.

I doubt there will be any terrorist attacks on theaters. What does concern me is the brazen attitude of the hackers. This is a terrorist attack of sorts, especially with their threatening violence if the movie is released. What happens when it is released? Will these people start messing with utilities/power grids? I have a feeling that they are testing the waters with what they can get away with, and this movie is just an excuse.

Don't hate because I enjoy stupid comedy. My all time favorites are still Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Dumb and Dumber, Super Troopers and Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail

What, no Naked Gun or Police Academy 1-5 mentions???

Hey LG, stupid off topic question for you.

Is there a way of determining if a lawyer has been disbarred? Like from a particular State? Website? Something like that?

Don't hate because I enjoy stupid comedy. My all time favorites are still Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Dumb and Dumber, Super Troopers and Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail

:peace2: I plan on seeing it too if & when it comes on the USA network or TBS....you know very funny.

Hey LG, stupid off topic question for you.

Is there a way of determining if a lawyer has been disbarred? Like from a particular State? Website? Something like that?

Should be a website for each bar association and you can look up status of a lawyer. In Florida, you can look and see what their address is and any discipline in the last ten years. Try Googling "Bar Association" and the state.

If no luck shoot me a PM with the details and I'll try the case reporters for you, see if there's anything in there.

Should be a website for each bar association and you can look up status of a lawyer. In Florida, you can look and see what their address is and any discipline in the last ten years. Try Googling "Bar Association" and the state.

If no luck shoot me a PM with the details and I'll try the case reporters for you, see if there's anything in there.

Follow up sort of. Are there prohibitions on a lawyer practicing with a firm while waiting on their license and bar exam? I know they can't try cases and all, but could work researching, assisting and whatnot, correct?

It's not a big deal, just wondering why a lawyer would go from a practice to barely above minimum wage while "waiting on their bar."

As far as the hack goes, one of the interesting issues to me has been Sony's efforts to get the media to not report on stolen emails.

If you're a news organization, do you disclose them anyway?

Not now. The press it's received has made people want to watch it to see what the uproar is about.

Their last movie grossed $126M at the box office. 4x the budget.

Last edited:
Follow up sort of. Are there prohibitions on a lawyer practicing with a firm while waiting on their license and bar exam? I know they can't try cases and all, but could work researching, assisting and whatnot, correct?

It's not a big deal, just wondering why a lawyer would go from a practice to barely above minimum wage while "waiting on their bar."

That's a great question and I've had to deal with it from time to time with associates. The answer is that it depends on what the state bar association defines as the "practice of law." For example, here, a person awaiting admission (or reinstatement let's say if they let their education credits lapse) could not give out any advice or sign any pleadings, they could not hold themselves out to be a lawyer. But, they could draft a pleading for me to sign, or work with a client to gather documents, do legal research, etc.

That's a great question and I've had to deal with it from time to time with associates. The answer is that it depends on what the state bar association defines as the "practice of law." For example, here, a person awaiting admission (or reinstatement let's say if they let their education credits lapse) could not give out any advice or sign any pleadings, they could not hold themselves out to be a lawyer. But, they could draft a pleading for me to sign, or work with a client to gather documents, do legal research, etc.

Okay, I did find the Texas Bar Association website. Thanks.

VN Store

Back