US Airlines: Can this number be right?

lawgator1

U.S. airlines rack up billions in baggage and change fees - CNN.com

Those ancillary fees helped the 26 passenger U.S. airlinesmake a net profit of $12.7 billion in 2013, up from a profit of $98 million in 2012.

In one year the airline industry went from $98 million to $12.7 billion? I have to ask, how is that even possible without major collusion as to price fixing?

I have noticed as well that as oil prices and fuel prices drop, ticket prices aren't going down, at all. Again, one has to wonder ....

Reactions: 2 people

Those ancillary fees helped the 26 passenger U.S. airlinesmake a net profit of $12.7 billion in 2013, up from a profit of $98 million in 2012.

In one year the airline industry went from $98 million to $12.7 billion? I have to ask, how is that even possible without major collusion as to price fixing?

I have noticed as well that as oil prices and fuel prices drop, ticket prices aren't going down, at all. Again, one has to wonder ....

Evil airlines making a profit!

Let's hear your thoughts on $250 hour lawyer fees?

Reactions: 2 people
Whoa whoa whoa, when did I say they shouldn't make a profit?

Of course they should. On the other hand, market competition is supposed to be the price regulator, here, and when one industry sees its collective profit jump 127 X in one year, meh, I'm just wondering ....

Reactions: 3 people
Whoa whoa whoa, when did I say they shouldn't make a profit?

Of course they should. On the other hand, market competition is supposed to be the price regulator, here, and when one industry sees its collective profit jump 127 X in one year, meh, I'm just wondering ....

Fly Southwest if you don't want to pay bag fees.

No need to worry now.

Reactions: 1 person

Cheaper gas and better scheduling reduced fixed cost per passenger. Higher ancillary fees for baggage, change fees, etc raised revenue per passenger.

Airlines went through years of losses. I'm sure they are all ready to recoup some of that of that green.

Lg. United lost billions in costs with the Continental merger, and AA was in bankruptcy and had billions in costs and write offs.

Cheaper gas and better scheduling reduced fixed cost per passenger. Higher ancillary fees for baggage, change fees, etc raised revenue per passenger.

Airlines went through years of losses. I'm sure they are all ready to recoup some of that of that green.

Lg. United lost billions in costs with the Continental merger, and AA was in bankruptcy and had billions in costs and write offs.

You are explaining how a few of the older airlines might take advantage of a window of opportunity to recoup some losses. Makes sense.

But is irrelevant to my point. If anything it supports it. Why wouldn't the other airlines lower their prices to attract riders from the older ones that are making up ground?

They would. They should. Unless....

You are explaining how a few of the older airlines might take advantage of a window of opportunity to recoup some losses. Makes sense.

But is irrelevant to my point. If anything it supports it. Why wouldn't the other airlines lower their prices to attract riders from the older ones that are making up ground?

Unions drive up prices. Don't think the employees at SW are unionized except for the pilots.

Hold on....I'm going to get my tin foil.

SO...where I work I get to witness the doings of baggage handlers here at Orlando International. I present to you a picture of pink luggage that fell of a luggage trolley..and sat there for HOURS. When I took the pick I witnessed at least a half dozen airline employees drive by it. They looked..but drove by

Does this have anything to do with the original post? I have no idea.

Attachments

• 20141202_141546.jpg
    20141202_141546.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 18

Unless the margins simply aren't there for them to start offering discounts

SO...where I work I get to witness the doings of baggage handlers here at Orlando International. I present to you a picture of pink luggage that fell of a luggage trolley..and sat there for HOURS. When I took the pick I witnessed at least a half dozen airline employees drive by it. They looked..but drove by

They assumed it was a suitcase bomb dropped off by sum Mooslems. Didn't want to get blowed up.

That's some unsuspecting passenger's soon-to-be bad day.

Picture looks like a zoo than an airport terminal....no offense.

GOPs fault no doubt about it

The dramatic increase in profits is from the sale of pocket knives, lighters, fingernail clippers, shampoo, toothpaste, etc which are confiscated by TSA.

Reactions: 3 people

I wouldn't say collusion but they are all playing the same game. That's fine. One of the basis of our free market system has always been caveat emptor.

VN Store

Back