Should the United States Separate?

JoeKyleVol

I know this has probably been discussed before in a tangential manner in other threads, but I thought I would start one focused specifically on this topic.

Should the United States remain one indivisible country, or split into two or more countries? The increasing political polarization of our nation is compounded by greater regional divides. The South is very different from the North, and the Midwest from the West.

Why should people in New York and California have a say over what Tennessee and Texas does, and vice versa?

Why should politicians in Washington have a greater say over the border security of Southwestern states than those states themselves? Why should the Federal government dictate how states handle illegal immigrants within their own borders, especially when they extend amnesty-esque orders?

Why should federal judges invalidate laws made by numerous states?

The United States is a very large, heterogenous nation with increasingly divergent political views in our various regions. Perhaps a group of about 10-12 nations with a much looser federal government more akin to the European Union (if even one at all) would be better than our current situation. It gives greater autonomy to like-minded states, but also allows for some federated coorperation.

Our current Union gives too much power to a Federal government which must make decisions for regions that are growing more polarized. Fifty individual countries would just be unwieldy and weak. But a group of smaller nations may be a more sensible solution, I think.

What say you?

I think you make valid points, but that was already tried with the war of northern aggression, otherwise known as the civil war.

Honestly, I'd like to see secession on a personal/individual level.

Trading one oligarchy for 100 is never a good idea.

When I look at a world map, I like the sense of satisfaction I get when identifying a big glob on there that says "United States of America"; therefore, no, the US should not be divided in any shape or form.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm a states rights advocate and believe that we are better represented locally, but I think a dissolution of the US is nothing more than an ill conceived fantasy.

I do feel the Notheast and West Coast is bullying much of the country, however.

The question is not about reviving the CSA. The issue is whether a nation such as ours, with increasingly divergent viewpoints, ought to remain in union rather than go our separate ways.

Think about it----why would Blue States want Red States to dictate what they do? Or why should Red States want Blue States to enforce their views of government on them?

The question is not about reviving the CSA. The issue is whether a nation such as ours, with increasingly divergent viewpoints, ought to remain in union rather than go our separate ways.

Think about it----why would Blue States want Red States to dictate what they do? Or why should Red States want Blue States to enforce their views of government on them?

The liberal Union couldn't survive without the rest. That would be a good thing.

Diagnosing a symptom; not solving a problem.

What makes you think that our collective points of view are now more "divergent" than before? I've been here for parts of seven decades and it doesn't seem like that to me.

We do have a lot more empty headed idiots shouting at us from the many more media sources that we now have. But there always has been, and always will be, a whole bunch of idiots of all kinds of stripes.

Reactions: 3 people
My only regret is that we didn't take Canada back when the getting places was still good.

My only regret is that we didn't take Canada back when the getting places was still good.

The "respectable, sh*tty tundra" that is Canada, according to South Park, haha.

In all seriousness, though, Canada is a great place. Spent a summer in Calgary a few years ago. Beautiful country.

The "respectable, sh*tty tundra" that is Canada, according to South Park, haha.

In all seriousness, though, Canada is a great place. Spent a summer in Calgary a few years ago. Beautiful country.

I've never been there, but I know it's big.

Yes, it is.

From time to time people throw out this nonsense. Oh, they'll dress it up in some camouflage, some vague reference to some benign rationale.

But in the end, it's ALWAYS about this. ALWAYS.

The Euro Union of North America

Replace with 50 stars

Eu-flag.gif

VN Store

Back