Rand Paul

mrorange211

I am just interested in what the forum thinks about Rand Paul.

He seems to be a pretty interesting candidate, with support from Bill Maher to some prominent Republicans in New Hampshire. Now, this could be a hangover from the success his father had in Iowa and NH (he placed 2nd) but I hope not. Paul is some new blood that I think may do this country some good.

Thoughts?

He's come off of his stances with many issues in a move towards seeming more "moderate", trying to please everybody generally means you please nobody.

In short, he's becoming a politician, which removes much of his luster.

Reactions: 1 person
Did you watch his interview a couple of weeks ago on Bill Maher? He said point blank that as President his first executive action would be to end the War on Drugs.

He is also the only politician that is running for President, that I know of, that has physically visited Ferguson. I like that.

Reactions: 2 people
As with any politician, I do not agree with Rand on every single issue. I do, however, agree with him on many issues and think he may have the best plans and viewpoints of any electable person with the intent to run. We could do much worse.

As with any politician, I do not agree with Rand on every single issue. I do, however, agree with him on many issues and think he may have the best plans and viewpoints of any electable person with the intent to run. We could do much worse.

Honestly what more could you ask for? No candidate will match you on every issue and if he/she does then chances are they won't match the rest of the populace very well.

Honestly what more could you ask for? No candidate will match you on every issue and if he/she does then chances are they won't match the rest of the populace very well.

Not much; I would vote for Rand in a heartbeat. I just didn't want to say he is a perfect candidate or that I think he is a valid choice simply because I agree with many/most of his views. :good!:

Some conservatives get caught in the trap of supporting someone because they are labeled a Libertarian. There is not much difference between a Liberal and a Libertarian.

Once Paul begins to explain his stances on various issues, he will be exposed as a radical liberal on many of those issues.

Not much; I would vote for Rand in a heartbeat. I just didn't want to say he is a perfect candidate or that I think he is a valid choice simply because I agree with many/most of his views. :good!:

I agree - I was speaking broadly; it is unrealistic to expect a candidate will perfectly align with one's beliefs AND be popular enough to win general election. We are too diverse a country for that to happen.

I agree - I was speaking broadly; it is unrealistic to expect a candidate will perfectly align with one's beliefs AND be popular enough to win general election. We are too diverse a country for that to happen.

Well said. :rock:

Some on this board needs to read you post and give it serious thought.

Some conservatives get caught in the trap of supporting someone because they are labeled a Libertarian. There is not much difference between a Liberal and a Libertarian.

Once Paul begins to explain his stances on various issues, he will be exposed as a radical liberal on many of those issues.

Wut? You mean the small fact that liberals look to the government for everything and libertarians want the government out of their lives completely?

Reactions: 3 people

Of course, but I will say that Rand Paul has come closest to my ideals as a politician that I can remember in the last several years.

I think he really has a chance against Hillary. Better than Christie, imo.

Libertarianism is probably better described as Anti Statists but then you'd have to explain what statism is and you'd lose 90% of the population in the process. Statism is what Republicans and Democrats have in common. They just argue over the pie pieces.

What are you smoking?

You either don't know what a liberal is or what a libertarian is.

"We should not have drug laws or a court system that disproportionately punishes the black community". RAND PAUL. This teams up Rand Paul with Eric Holder, who says the very same thing.

Rand Paul says America's drug laws are Racist. Paul says these drug laws are like the racist policies of the Jim Crow era. Eric Holder and Al Sharpton agree.

"We should not have drug laws or a court system that disproportionately punishes the black community". RAND PAUL. This teams up Rand Paul with Eric Holder, who says the very same thing.

Rand Paul says America's drug laws are Racist. Paul says these drug laws are like the racist policies of the Jim Crow era. Eric Holder and Al Sharpton agree.

The problem with that statement is minorities disproportionately commit the majority of crimes .

That's because they are: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/us/marijuana-arrests-four-times-as-likely-for-blacks.html?_r=0

The Black populations in state prisons are majorly disproportionate: In Georgia, the Black population is 29 percent, the Black prison population is 54 percent; Arkansas 16 percent -52 percent; Louisiana 33 percent-76 percent; Mississippi 36 percent-75 percent; Alabama 26 percent -65 percent; Tennessee 16 percent -63 percent; Kentucky 7 percent-36 percent; South Carolina 30 percent-69 percent; North Carolina 22 percent-64 percent; and Virginia 20 percent-68 percent.

Here's some more data for you.

VN Store

Back