Women in Ranger School

hog88

Your ray of sunshine
This drive to open all schools and positions within the military is going to get good me killed. I have no doubt that there are a few females that could complete Ranger school to standard but anybody that ever served knows standards will be lowered to accommodate.

Just some of the excerpts from the article are laughable.

Several dozen female volunteers completed training earlier this month similar to what Rangers would go through in their first week at the two-month school.

The women did not have to pass all events in order to be selected.

As part of the first week of the course, Rangers are required to complete a 5-mile run in 40 minutes or less and a 12-mile hike in no more than three hours. Students also have to negotiate an obstacle course and later conduct long patrols on little to no sleep. It is considered the most difficult training in the Army.

The Army won't change standards if the school is opened to women, said Brig. Gen. James Rainey, commandant of the infantry school.

Full Article;

Test run suggests women can meet Ranger standards

Wait until they have to jump into that pool and tread water for 30 minutes in February. And, since there are no female ranger instructors are the male instructors going to go through their showers while they're showering and scream they have 30 seconds?

Reactions: 1 person
Wait until they have to jump into that pool and tread water for 30 minutes in February. And, since there are no female ranger instructors are the male instructors going to go through their showers while they're showering and scream they have 30 seconds?

You were/are a ranger?

I'm tired of this crap where eveyone is "equal." Everyone is not equal. Everyone has different abilities. I bet the Russians and the Chinese would never pull this nonsense.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to admit, I typically laugh at threads like this, but you have a point. Although I support women in the military, I've never quite been supportive of an "everyone is equal" approach. Because they simply aren't. Men are just faster, bigger, and stronger. Not many women could carry a wounded comrade off the battlefield.

I'm actually for allowing women in to combat, but I think we might need to consider something like the Soviet WWII model.

Also, while I'm in favor of gays openly serving, I'm not in favor of any move that would allow transgender people to openly serve. I'm all for transgender folks. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But I think it would create too much of a distraction and one that could possibly get someone killed. Maybe one day this won't be considered a distraction, but that day is not here yet. And some distractions just need to be taking seriously, despite what may seem like their injustices.

I have to admit, I typically laugh at threads like this, but you have a point. Although I support women in the military, I've never quite been supportive of an "everyone is equal" approach. Because they simply aren't. Men are just faster, bigger, and stronger. Not many women could carry a wounded comrade off the battlefield.

The sexes are not equal and the whole premise of the 1 week test is flawed. Sure the largest dropout % comes in that first week, it's designed that way. The 5 mile run in 40 minutes isn't exactly a 5 mile run in 40 minutes. It's more of a 4 mile sprint (especially uphill) and a 1 mile airborne shuffle. Pretty much the same with the march, hell on us short leg guys.

I'm sure there are women who could complete the whole course but massive accommodations would have to be made. There is NO privacy in patrol base activities, and the upper body strength needed most women just don't have.

This is a head scratcher for me.... Wth are they thinking?

All sexism aside, they're just not physically strong enough

Can you imagine if they were taken prisoner? What do you think that #6 dance would look like ?.....not good

Last edited:
This drive to open all schools and positions within the military is going to get good me killed. I have no doubt that there are a few females that could complete Ranger school to standard but anybody that ever served knows standards will be lowered to accommodate.

Just some of the excerpts from the article are laughable.

Full Article;

Test run suggests women can meet Ranger standards

Very sexist post, IMO.

Recently discussed this with my friend that served as a Ranger. He is in favor of it, while I disagreed with him. It was an odd discussion.

It's not like they're going to command soldiers in the Regiment, I don't see why anyone is pissing and moaning here.

If they earn the tab, power to them. It's a damn school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's not like they're going to command soldiers in the Regiment, I don't see why anyone is pissing and moaning here.

If they earn the tab, power to them. It's a damn school.

Eventually they will.

The standards will be lowered/adjusted to ensure the "earn it".

Call it what you will.

From personal experience, I saw girls who couldn't cut it at survival school, but passed anyway. Having to carry 80lbs up mountains was tough anyway, then some girl is slowing everyone down and then have to carry theirs too.

What were some of his points in favor?

Essentially, "if they can make it then let them." I don't really have a problem with that if the qualifications are equal, but I pointed out that they aren't. It wasn't a long discussion and we were both pretty well sauced.

Lotta hurt Mussys in this thread. It's a tab, not a scroll. If some POG LT gets an opportunity, might as well let women, should they prove capable.

I'm just going to sit back and watch this conversation in this thread. I may or may not comment later.

VN Store

Back