Comcasts's new business model

VOLatile

BRB Pooping
I smell a sh!tstorm brewing...

https://customer.comcast.com/help-a...-what-are-the-different-plans-launching?ref=1

In this trial, XFINITY Internet Economy Plus customers can choose to enroll in the Flexible-Data Option to receive a $5.00 credit on their monthly bill and reduce their data usage plan from 300 GB to 5 GB. If customers choose this option and use more than 5 GB of data in any given month, they will not receive the $5.00 credit and will be charged an additional $1.00 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option.

Click "Why are you making this change?" and you don't even get an answer...

Frequently asked questions about our data usage plans.

As the marketplace and technology change, we do too. We evaluate customer data usage, and a variety of other factors, and make adjustments accordingly. Over the last several years, we have periodically reviewed various plans, and recently we have been analyzing the market and our process through various data usage plan trials.

Ok, so let's think about this for a moment. If you want more bandwidth after your initial allotment, it's $10 per 50gb. But if you want to receive less bandwidth and pay less money, Comcast subtracts $5 for 295 gb. Customers can opt into only having 5GB available for $5 less, but if they go over that 5GB limit they're charge an additional $1/GB over.

How do they think this is even remotely okay? It's not like bandwidth scarcity is real for hardwired internet like it is for cell phone service.

5 dollars of savings? A whole 5 dollars?

They must be fishing for idiots to take that plan.

How is this a change from their current business model? Which is just be terrible and then collect a tasty profit.

It's just like the cell providers. The fastest speeds don't mean s*** with a limit, you just use it up quicker.

It's just like the cell providers. The fastest speeds don't mean s*** with a limit, you just use it up quicker.

Yes, but at least in the cell world there's a legit reason to charge more for usage and impose limits.

So this plan is designed to target heavy media streamers and mass downloaders basically. Netflix is ~ 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 4.7 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. At a cap of 250GB that's 62.5 hours of HD streaming per month which only gives you roughly 2 hours of streaming HD media per day.

So basically if your main entertainment comes from streaming media you're going to be screwed using Comcast.

So this plan is designed to target heavy media streamers and mass downloaders basically. Netflix is ~ 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 4.7 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. At a cap of 250GB that's 62.5 hours of HD streaming per month which only gives you roughly 2 hours of streaming HD media per day.

So basically if your main entertainment comes from streaming media you're going to be screwed using Comcast.

I'd think anyone that uses more than 5-10GB would know to stay away from this plan.

Shoot, even if I knew I only used 2-3 GB per month, I still wouldn't change. Not for 5 lousy bucks. Lol!

Reactions: 1 person
I smell a sh!tstorm brewing...

https://customer.comcast.com/help-a...-what-are-the-different-plans-launching?ref=1

Click "Why are you making this change?" and you don't even get an answer...

Ok, so let's think about this for a moment. If you want more bandwidth after your initial allotment, it's $10 per 50gb. But if you want to receive less bandwidth and pay less money, Comcast subtracts $5 for 295 gb. Customers can opt into only having 5GB available for $5 less, but if they go over that 5GB limit they're charge an additional $1/GB over.

How do they think this is even remotely okay? It's not like bandwidth scarcity is real for hardwired internet like it is for cell phone service.

So you don't have to opt into this deal, right? I don't see a problem.

So you don't have to opt into this deal, right? I don't see a problem.

You don't? As far as I know, once the "testing" phase is finished it will be implemented across the country and all Comcast customers will have that plan.

It's designed to take advantage of people that don't understand what a GB is.

You don't? As far as I know, once the "testing" phase is finished it will be implemented across the country and all Comcast customers will have that plan.

It's designed to take advantage of people that don't understand what a GB is.

But nobody has to opt in, though. They can still do the normal economy and get 300 gb and keep their $5, right?

More options are never a bad thing.

They must have a lot of democrat business....

The repubs will reveal their shadow agenda 1/2/15, be prepared for an Oligarchy similar to the current one now governing Russia, Putin is puppet. :yes: Look out middle class(what's left of it) ! :shakehead:

The repubs will reveal their shadow agenda 1/2/15, be prepared for an Oligarchy similar to the current one now governing Russia, Putin is puppet. :yes: Look out middle class(what's left of it) ! :shakehead:

Hard to imagine it could get worse. If they're not abolishing welfare we should be OK, maybe better.

But nobody has to opt in, though. They can still do the normal economy and get 300 gb and keep their $5, right?

More options are never a bad thing.

Sure, but saving $5 for 295Gb less? And then charging $1/GB for everything over 5Gb? You don't think that's intentionally trying to take advantage of people that don't quite understand it?

VN Store

Back