Bill to end bulk collection of our phone records denied

#VFL__

Senate blocks NSA phone records measure | Al Jazeera America

The 58-42 vote was two short of the 60 needed to proceed with debate under Senate procedural rules. Voting was largely along party lines, with most Democrats supporting the bill and most Republicans voting against it. The Republican-controlled House had previously passed its own NSA bill.

The legislation would have ended the NSA's collection of domestic calling records, instead requiring the agency to obtain a court order each time it wanted to analyze the records in terrorism cases, and query records held by the telephone companies. In many cases the companies store the records for 18 months.

I did a little research. There was more than meets the eye, IMO. The bill extends the Patriot Act until 2017 and he refuses to vote to support the Patriot Act.

Fair enough. Good call then. Glad to know he stands for something

Is it known (or even possible to know due to the clandestine approach) whether or not this data collection has led to any thwarting of terrorist plots? Has it saved any American lives? Protected any public or private property? If results are quantifiable, then i am more likely to approve of this sort of thing. If we have to trust the government that it works but they are unwilling to provide evidence, that isn't going to cut it.

Is it known (or even possible to know due to the clandestine approach) whether or not this data collection has led to any thwarting of terrorist plots? Has it saved any American lives? Protected any public or private property? If results are quantifiable, then i am more likely to approve of this sort of thing. If we have to trust the government that it works but they are unwilling to provide evidence, that isn't going to cut it.

Well, when the NSA came out a while back to defend the practice and mentioned a couple of cases that they say they wouldn't have been able to thwart without their powers, tech groups came out and showed the NSA lied and used examples that were thwarted by other means.

I did a little research. There was more than meets the eye, IMO. The bill extends the Patriot Act until 2017 and he refuses to vote to support the Patriot Act.

Makes sense. Democrats never, ever vote for anything that actually shrinks government. I smelled a rat as soon as I opened the thread.

Agreed the only hole in your theory is who decides who is a terrorist.

We should always be on guard against any sort of abuse but I really don't see this as having any realistic potential for that. If the Feds think a regular citizen is up to no good they can go get a warrant to tap their conversations anyway. This seems to get at the problem from the other end. That is, who are the bad guys reaching out to?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back