Are Atheists Untrustworthy?

Asked this question in the God thread but got no traction but think it's worthy of discussion.

In Atheists We Distrust - Scientific American

Why wouldn't someone trust an atheist.

Go...

Trust is earned.

I don't care whether you are religious or not. It's your deeds I put value in.

I've noticed that you get very upset about something you have no belief in....

Reactions: 4 people
Look no further than politics. I think the last figure I saw, the unreligious consisting of atheists, agnostics, and others was 16-18% of the population. Yet, such isn't reflected in our politicians. In essence, statistically there are many politicians who lie about their religious beliefs. Then again, politicians lying isn't breaking news.

As for why, it really isn't hard to figure out. Religious scripture talks about unbelievers being foolish and untrustworthy. Additionally, it's kinda hard to put a lot of stock into someone you legitimately think is going to hell.

Look no further than politics. I think the last figure I saw, the unreligious consisting of atheists, agnostics, and others was 16-18% of the population. Yet, such isn't reflected in our politicians. In essence, statistically there are many politicians who lie about their religious beliefs. Then again, politicians lying isn't breaking news.

As for why, it really isn't hard to figure out. Religious scripture talks about unbelievers being foolish and untrustworthy. Additionally, it's kinda hard to put a lot of stock into someone you legitimately think is going to hell.

16-18% seems light. I think many are afraid to come out for fear of the religious rights judgment.

Reactions: 5 people
Atheists are the biggest Hypocrites in the world. Thousands of people say the exact same thing, and believe the exact same thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Some of the biggest frauds in recent US history have been Christian religious leaders. Some currently are. See eg Mike Murdock.

Trust is earned.

I don't care whether you are religious or not. It's your deeds I put value in.

I've noticed that you get very upset about something you have no belief in....

Nope.... I don't get upset about "something I have no belief in".

I get upset about the fact that the majority of the population here in the south quickly assumes that I'm a low-life POS simply because I don't believe.

Why is it that atheists are a group to be vilified?

Reactions: 3 people

I get upset about the fact that the majority of the population here in the south quickly assumes that I'm a low-life POS simply because I don't believe.

I guess I'm in the Minority.

We usually tar and feather you nasty satanist believing atrocities to man kind.

Consider your self lucky you are just vilified where you live at.....

Smh.

I gave you a like when it was first posted.

I'm just curious as to why atheists are a group that are "allowed" to be vilified with no repercussion.

Define "vilified".

What kind of repercussions do you want? What damage has been done to you?

We usually tar and feather you nasty satanist believing atrocities to man kind.

Consider your self lucky you are just vilified where you live at.....

Smh.

I'm going t assume that this was "tongue in cheeK'....

But it does ask the question....

How can an atheist be considered a "satanist" when we don't believe in ANY of it?

I'm going t assume that this was "tongue in cheeK'....

But it does ask the question....

How can an atheist be considered a "satanist" when we don't believe in ANY of it?

It was a tongue and cheek comment. I was merely poking fun at how damn dumb you sound.

Vilified? Really? Do you live next door to westboro or something?

Define "vilified".

What kind of repercussions do you want? What damage has been done to you?

"Vilified" in the most literal of definition.

As to what "damage" that has been done. Ooof.... I have to keep my mouth shut at work. TN being an "at will" state means I could lose my job. I actually worry about that.

Not that I want to, but, I can't run for public office. How many atheists have been elected? I would contend none from the south. As the poll suggested only about 45% of people would vote for a QUALIFIED person who was an atheist.

Apparently qualifications don't matter. Religion does.

It was a tongue and cheek comment. I was merely poking fun at how damn dumb you sound.

Vilified? Really? Do you live next door to westboro or something?

Sorry for using that word..... :)

Seriously though, you can't deny that there are aspects of regular life that cause problems if you're a non-believer.

"Vilified" in the most literal of definition.

As to what "damage" that has been done. Ooof.... I have to keep my mouth shut at work. TN being an "at will" state means I could lose my job. I actually worry about that.

Not that I want to, but, I can't run for public office. How many atheists have been elected? I would contend none from the south. As the poll suggested only about 45% of people would vote for a QUALIFIED person who was an atheist.

Apparently qualifications don't matter. Religion does.

1) I don't think atheists are "vilified" any worse than Christians are by atheists. That just sounds like butthurt.

2) As for your job, you live in a Christian society. Just like if your boss is a Democrat, it might not be prudent to run your mouth about Obama (unless he's cool with it). You are not persecuted for your beliefs. You are not censored either.

3) As for politicians, might makes right in a republic. If Christians won't vote for non-Christians, there isn't much you can do. Would a majority of non-Christians vote for a Christian? If the majority of people believed in the Big Bang, evolution, secularism, etc., do you think they would elect a guy who had a couple degrees but didn't believe in any of that and wanted to legislate morality?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back