Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains, study says

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Interesting.

Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains, study says - LA Times

Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn't want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain's reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network.

More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of "white matter" that connects the brain's hemispheres.
Researchers noted that the IQ of the marijuana-using group was significantly lower than that of the non-using group--not a finding of the study, but an incidental factor that might be indirectly linked to marijuana use.

Reactions: 2 people
I knew that a number of you on here just had to have something medically wrong with you.

Thanks for the link. Explains a lot.

Reactions: 5 people
That's what I was wondering.

Those with less grey matter are naturally inclined to become pot smokers.

The article answers these questions:

Even now, however, the authors of the study acknowledge that they cannot discern whether a pot smoker's smaller orbital frontal cortex is the cause or the result of chronic marijuana use. A 2012 study found that subjects with a smaller orbital frontal cortex at age 12 were more likely to start using marijuana by age 16, suggesting that deficits in this crucial region may predispose one to substance-abuse behaviors.

Reactions: 1 person
Does the 2nd paragraph not basically say that they showed faster and more efficient access to other parts of the brain, including white matter referred to as a superhighway?

Or translate it for me if I'm missing something.

Reactions: 3 people
Beetlejuice-beetlejuice-the-movie-1081504_848_477.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Does the 2nd paragraph not basically say that they showed faster and more efficient access to other parts of the brain, including white matter referred to as a superhighway?

A v4 is more efficient than a v8, but it's less powerful.

Faster to get hungry. Faster to get back to 7-11 for blunt wraps.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back