Sikh Elementary Student Allowed to Carry Dagger to School

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Student allowed to bring religious knife to class

A few weeks ago at Auburn's Gildo Rey Elementary, a Sikh family approached the school telling them their little boy would be carrying a Kirpan every day.

That didn't sit well with some.

One school volunteer named Shelby, who asked her last name not be used, said respecting religion goes too far if it compromises student safety.

"There's no way I'd go back until the knife was gone," she said.

Shelby does not volunteer at Gildo Rey.

"They can't take that thing into the airport. TSA would be all over it. Why is a school any different?" she asked.

District administrators are citing state and federal guidelines that allow certain exceptions to Washington's "zero tolerance" for weapons policy.

Interesting.

kirpan.jpg

Just a visual reference

When you can have this when elsewhere you can get slammed for making something resembling a firearm out of a pop tart...

I guess when my kids start school I need to claim them as Sihks as well so they can carry knives. Maybe I should say they worship at the alter of Glock and carrying guns is a right of passage.

Reactions: 4 people
I have no problem with kids carrying knives to school. We could as long as the blade was 6" or less. No one ever got stabbed.

I have no problem with kids carrying knives to school. We could as long as the blade was 6" or less. No one ever got stabbed.

I remember guys having shotguns and rifles hanging on a gun rack inside the rear windownof their trucks when I was in high school. Times, they have changed. IMO, the world we live in today, guns nor knives should be allowed in our schools.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember guys having shotguns and rifles hanging on a gun rack inside the rear windownof their trucks when I was in high school. Times, they have changed. IMO, the world we live in today, guns nor knives should be allowed in our schools.

Almost every vehicle had a rifle or shotgun in it during hunting season. But that was a year or so ago, we even had a smoking area.

Well, now, lookie here. We got ourselves some who think it's just fine and dandy for a business to discriminate against potential customers or clients for religious principles but not to bring a knife to school. Well now. Well now.

It's a complicated world that we live in afterall.

Well, now, lookie here. We got ourselves some who think it's just fine and dandy for a business to discriminate against potential customers or clients for religious principles but not to bring a knife to school. Well now. Well now.

It's a complicated world that we live in afterall.

Doesn't have to be.

Almost every vehicle had a rifle or shotgun in it during hunting season. But that was a year or so ago, we even had a smoking area.

Ah, the good old designated smoking area that was next to the cafeteria dumpsters. Brings back fond memories of high school.

Did we go to the same East Tennessee high school? That is where ours was.

Ironic our smoking section was next to the dumpsters too. We could smoke anytime between classes. Our Asst. Principal smoked with us too which was cool.

Ironic our smoking section was next to the dumpsters too. We could smoke anytime between classes. Our Asst. Principal smoked with us too which was cool.

We would try to take some drags between classes in the bathroom w/out getting caught. That damn paddle hurt like heck...lol. :)

VN Store

Back