Liberals and Islam

rjd970

This is really good stuff.

I would recommend watching the 10 minute video, Ben Affleck loses it and illustrates the problem with Liberals with regard to theocracy. I'm a big fan of Sam Harris, and him and Maher absolutely nail this. This is every bit worth of its 10 minutes:

Can Liberalism Be Saved From Itself? : Sam Harris

In particular from the blog:

Contrary to what many liberals believe, those bad boys who are getting off the bus in Syria at this moment to join ISIS are not all psychopaths, nor are they simply depressed people who have gone to the desert to die. Most of them are profoundly motivated by their beliefs. Many surely feel like spiritual James Bonds, fighting a cosmic war against evil. After all, they are spreading the one true faith to the ends of the earth—or they will die trying, and be martyred, and then spend eternity in Paradise. Secular liberals seem unable to grasp how psychologically rewarding this worldview must be.

Yes, the war in Iraq was a catastrophe—just as Affleck and Kristof suggest. But take a moment to appreciate how bleak it is to admit that the world would be better off if we had left Saddam Hussein in power. Here was one of the most evil men who ever lived, holding an entire country hostage. And yet his tyranny was also preventing a religious war between Shia and Sunni, the massacre of Christians, and other sectarian horrors. To say that we should have left Saddam Hussein alone says some very depressing things about the Muslim world.

This is truth. And it is consistent with his criticisms particular to Jews and Christians. It is not about religion, cultures, race, or political affiliation. It is about bad ideas, and as Harris said, Islam is the mother load of bad ideas right now. Liberals fail, constantly, on this. You can go on CNN and Huffingtonpost right now and read opinions in defense of Afleck and Kristoff. Nobody wants honest discussion, they want knee jerk reaction and PC talk to score popularity and political points, and it is having a real effect on coming up with a real solution to the problem of Islam.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
This is really good stuff.

I would recommend watching the 10 minute video, Ben Affleck loses it and illustrates the problem with Liberals with regard to theocracy. I'm a big fan of Sam Harris, and him and Maher absolutely nail this. This is every bit worth of its 10 minutes:

Can Liberalism Be Saved From Itself? : Sam Harris

In particular from the blog:

This is truth. And it is consistent with his criticisms particular to Jews and Christians. It is not about religion, cultures, race, or political affiliation. It is about bad ideas, and as Harris said, Islam is the mother load of bad ideas right now. Liberals fail, constantly, on this. You can go on CNN and Huffingtonpost right now and read opinions in defense of Afleck and Kristoff. Nobody wants honest discussion, they want knee jerk reaction and PC talk to score popularity and political points, and it is having a real effect on coming up with a real solution to the problem of Islam.

Thoughts?

Islam needs a New Testament thats for sure. I saw this the other day and thought it was just awkward. Ben just wasn't getting the point.

Islam needs a New Testament thats for sure. I saw this the other day and thought it was just awkward. Ben just wasn't getting the point.
I think Ben had his point he was looking at the big picture as far as Islam to the rest of the world in a jihadic view cause honestly if every muslim went on a jihad it would mean the end of times more than likely considering they make up about 20% of the worlds population on the other hand he decides to ignore islam's archaic views towards their own people and the rest of the world.

Last edited:
I think Ben had his point he was looking at the big picture as far as Islam to the rest of the world in a jihadic view cause honestly if every muslim went on a jihad it would mean the end of times more than likely considering they make up about 20% of the worlds population on the other hand he decides to ignore islam's archaic views towards their own people and the rest of the world.

The point is about Islamic ideas and their consequences. Not about Muslim people.

The op line that Islam is the "mother load of bad ideas" ...

Think about that for a moment. A religion, a doctrine, an idea, CANNOT itself be the source of anything. It's the PEOPLE using it, or manipulating it, that are the problem.

In the short term, the world has to eradicate the murderers of ALL religions or doctrines or ideas. In the long term, we have to give people incentives not to kill in the name of something.

Think about that for a moment. A religion, a doctrine, an idea, CANNOT itself be the source of anything. It's the PEOPLE using it, or manipulating it, that are the problem.

In the short term, the world has to eradicate the murderers of ALL religions or doctrines or ideas. In the long term, we have to give people incentives not to kill in the name of something.

Ben is that you?

Look guys... We have a lawyer that doesn't believe the doctrines of the Constitution are (or can be) the source of anything.

Reactions: 1 person
Liberals love any extremist fighting freedom, regardless of what faith or idea they wrap themselves in.

Liberals love any extremist fighting freedom, regardless of what faith or idea they wrap themselves in.

Stare-What-GIF.gif

Reactions: 3 people
Look guys... We have a lawyer that doesn't believe the doctrines of the Constitution are (or can be) the source of anything.

Its a piece of paper. Its the people living by it and implementing it that matter. And, if you know history, there have been times when the doctrines of the Constitution were misused and manipulated by people.

Finally admitting that Obama is the problem?

Its a piece of paper. Its the people living by it and implementing it that matter. And, if you know history, there have been times when the doctrines of the Constitution were misused and manipulated by people.

Or just flat out ignored.

It is a piece of paper that clearly describe the ideas and beliefs that this country is founded on, thus shape our society, justice system, and culture. Further, it acts as boundary and is explicit enough to show when people are manipulating it and misusing it.

The Koran is a document that clearly describes the principles, thoughts, ideas, ethics, judicial system and culture of Islam. It is the boundary of Islam and explicitly describes what actions are prescribed in such explicit detail that one can judge whether an adherent is obeying it, manipulating it, or misusing it.

But again... Hearing a US lawyer describe our Constitution as just "...a piece of paper..." is disgusting, though par for the course in our day and age.

Reactions: 6 people
They do have a point regarding a lot of people ignoring extremist Islam because it's not right there in their face- and Ben obviously wasn't willing to listen to that legitimate argument. But Ben is also right that a lot of people are going to stereotype all Muslims based on the actions of the extremists, and generally be xenophobic douchebags. He is right to criticize that type of person, but shouldn't let those idiots blind him from the fact that there is a serious problem of violence and hatred within the Islamic culture as it currently exists.

Ben comes off as a d-bag.

Aren't most Hollywood types? 90% of them are pompous d-bags that think they are so in touch with the world yet live in multimillion dollar compounds with little to no contact with the everyday people or the outside world. Half of them haven't even completed college much less high school so I'm not quite sure why they think they are so enlightened.

Aren't most Hollywood types? 90% of them are pompous d-bags that think they are so in touch with the world yet live in multimillion dollar compounds with little to no contact with the everyday people or the outside world. Half of them haven't even completed college much less high school so I'm not quite sure why they think they are so enlightened.

I'm not surprised they're so self-absorbed. I question why so many people give a crap about anything they have to say--beyond the lines in their movies that are written for them.

I'm not surprised they're so self-absorbed. I question why so many people give a crap about anything they have to say--beyond the lines in their movies that are written for them.

Agree.

I refuse to watch any of their awards shows too.

I have long been amazed at the weight given to the opinion of actors on matters of social and political importance.

VN Store

Back