Hong Kong Democratic Protests

Burhead

God-Emperor of Politics
Anyone following this? Thousands are occupying the streets while the Hong Kong Police are attempting to disperse. Wonder what the Chinese Communist Party leaders are thinking right now? They have to be very concerned.

Hong Kong is a different beast though has more people that love/want democracy and willing to fight for it.

I've been following this a bit. Will be in Hong Kong and china next week. May go check this out if I have time.

Here's the most recent update from our travel advisory service.

China: Hong Kong: Avoid vicinity of ongoing protests, expect travel disruption in affected areas

Members in Hong Kong should expect increased security measures and localised disruption in the coming hours, due to ongoing pro-democracy protests in the city. Local reports indicate that protesters continued to block a number of major roads early on 29 September in the city's Central district. In addition, related protests are also reportedly ongoing in the Mong Kok area (Yau Tsim Mong district), where hundreds of protesters are holding a demonstration at the intersection of Nathan Road and Argyle Street. Meanwhile, protests also spread overnight on 28-29 September to Causeway Bay shopping district.

In response, the police have blocked several further roads in the city's financial district and increased numbers of security personnel have been deployed. The MTR service was reporting operating normally early on 29 September and trains are stopping at all stations; however, MTR has said that some entrances at the Mong Kok, Admiralty and Causeway Bay MTR stations remain closed. A large number of bus services have also been re-routed or suspended; tram services between Victoria Park, Western Market, and Happy Valley have also been suspended. Access between Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) and the CBD, including on the airport express train, is unaffected; although in Central, taxi availability for onward travel is limited.

The police late on 28 September used tear gas to disperse demonstrators, including at Edinburgh Square in the Central district. Reports indicate that at least 34 people were injured. Earlier on the day, the police had used tear gas and batons to disperse protesters who had gathered on Harcourt Road outside the government headquarters complex (Admiralty). The violence occurred after thousands of protesters converged at the site and blocked routes, including Gloucester Road.

Travel Advice
• Avoid the vicinity of protest locations to mitigate the risk of incidental exposure to violence. Travellers in the vicinity of affected areas must allow additional time to account for significant disruption on the roads and for over-crowding on the MTR.

• Managers with offices in the vicinity of protest locations are advised to conduct an assessment of the protest's impact on access to the office and to initiate instructions for staff to work from home where required; staff with appointments in affected areas should re-schedule these.

• Monitor our travel security alerts on China for further updates.

Please do not reply to this email.

Please note that this travel alert was sent to you, to notify you about the health and safety risks in your destination. Travel alerts will be sent for the duration of your trip.

I have to say, they are doing a pretty good job. the umbrellas are a nice touch, and seems like they are organized, with supplies and clean up.

Wonder how much longer Beijing will allow the police to attempt to disperse the crowds before calling in the People's Liberation Army?

Why do you think they will?

in the articles they mention how in China it is illegal to protest, and it has been pretty clear the cops have been trying to break it up. When that isn't enough they (the gubment) will have to escalate to get their way or give in, and communism doesn't bend too well, domino effect imo.

and from what I have been reading this isn't just a bunch of students and unemployed hipsters that are otherwise just sitting on mom and dads sofa looking at instagram. Apparently the protests are having a big effect on the area, shutting down traffic (including the areas around as the police have barricaded in the central area and people are gathering outside the barricade) and businesses are shutting down as good chunks of their workforce isn't showing up for work. and some businesses run by some of the protesters have shut down too. From what I have been reading this is a very well organized peaceful protest, props. Ferguson could learn from them.

According to reports, the protest has only been growing in anticipation of China's national day tomorrow.

I think China is on the edge of having several major societal issues. I don't know if it goes as far as rebellion, but there is a lot of push from a lot of different groups on a lot of different angles. The only thing keeping their system from collapsing is that they still have room to expand, they are outgrowing the complaints, once that runs out, the ish hits the fan hard over there.

Why do you think they will?

I think China is on the edge of having several major societal issues. I don't know if it goes as far as rebellion, but there is a lot of push from a lot of different groups on a lot of different angles. The only thing keeping their system from collapsing is that they still have room to expand, they are outgrowing the complaints, once that runs out, the ish hits the fan hard over there.

This. This is probably the biggest challenge against Chinese rule in awhile and has to have the Communist Party concerned. There are thousands of people in the streets and not leaving and have basically shut down the capital sector. They may give the police awhile longer but I can't see Beijing allowing this to continue.

LULZ at Vox

Hong Kong's protesters are using the same "hands up, don't shoot" gesture used in Ferguson - Vox

It's impossible to say the degree to which protesters are using the gesture as a deliberate nod to Ferguson, or borrowing something they'd seen on the news for their own purposes, or using it coincidentally.

One 22-year-old protester told Quartz's Lily Kuo that she had never heard of the events in Ferguson. Another said that the similarity was coincidental, a result of protest leaders telling people to raise their hands to police to signal peacefulness. Still, Hong Kongers pride themselves on being plugged in to the world, so it is within the realm of possibility that some of them followed the events in Ferguson and are now appropriating the gesture for their own use, even if only subconsciously.

and this

It's fascinating to see a symbol of the fight against racism and police violence in America become a symbol of democracy and freedom halfway around the world, however it got there.

Yep that's real data driven analysis...well done Vox; well done indeed

The tweets are hilariously sad too.

Last edited:
Vox is nothing more than professional trolling for clicks (which generates $).

I've made my opinion about them known before - this is even worse then their usual crap but it shows it's all about the position first then the "justification" for the opinion.

In this one the explicitly ignored where the only 2 people they quoted said it had zero to do with Ferguson

[CHRB] Activists Across China Detained for Supporting Democracy Protests in Hong Kong (9/19-10/1/2014) | Chinese Human Rights Defenders

Dozens of Mainland Activists Detained or Intimidated for Expressing Support for Hong Kong Protests

A number of Chinese citizens have faced reprisals for supporting the protests for universal suffrage in Hong Kong. The occupation of several areas in Hong Kong, including parts of its financial and political center, has inspired many Chinese on the mainland and encouraged them to speak up for democracy, with many photos appearing on social media of activists holding signs in support of Hong Kong and demanding constitutional democracy for the territory. Police in China have harassed and warned activists in many cities, concerned that they may try to travel to Hong Kong or take to streets to protest.

CHRD has documented the following incidents from reports by Rights Defense Network (RDN) and Civil Rights & Livelihood Watch (CRLW):

VN Store

Back