FBI Director upset over new phone privacy

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Shortly after Apple announced the encryption changes to iOS 8, Google announced that the next generation of Android, set to be released next month, will also encrypt data by default, providing the same encryption protections to its smartphones that a passcode provides to iPhones.

According to Comey, though he understands the need for privacy, he believes government access to electronic devices is necessary in some cases.

"I like and believe very much that we should have to obtain a warrant from an independent judge to be able to take the content of anyone's closet or their smart phone," he said. "The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened -- even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order -- to me does not make any sense."

He goes on to say that one day, it may matter "a great, great deal" that the government be able to infiltrate "a kidnapper's or a terrorist or a criminal's device." His goal, he says, is to have a "good conversation" in the country "before that day comes."

FBI Concerned With New Default Encryption Settings in iOS and Android Devices - Mac Rumors

If that analogy worked 1:1, he would be arguing, "We should be allowed to install cameras in any closet we want, whenever we want".

I'm always skeptical when they resort to playing the terrorist or think of the kids card.

I assume he doesn't believe in any type of encryption

Reactions: 2 people
I'm always skeptical when they resort to playing the terrorist or think of the kids card.

I assume he doesn't believe in any type of encryption

Skeptical? The guy flat out doesn't believe United States citizens are entitled to privacy.

The terrorists tho!

I guess that's just where we are.

Skeptical? The guy flat out doesn't believe United States citizens are entitled to privacy.

The terrorists tho!

Privacy is the new piracy. Imagine what we could be up to with all that unsupervised livin'.

The terrorists tho!

I guess that's just where we are.

I don't think anyone in govt believes it anymore. Eventually the people either need to accept it or take a stand and finally cast an educated vote. I know where I'd put my money

I don't think anyone in govt believes it anymore. Eventually the people either need to accept it or take a stand and finally cast an educated vote. I know where I'd put my money

I think we are past the point of voting to make a difference. I think it is now time for people to be arrested and sentenced to jail time for breaking the laws and ignoring the constitution.

FBI Director James Comey is Upset About Smartphone Encryption: Tough

"What concerns me about this is companies marketing something expressly to allow people to hold themselves beyond the law," FBI Director James Comey whined to reporters gathered at FBI headquarters. His comments came in response to announcements from Apple and Google that the latest generation of mobile device operating systems will not just ease the use of encryption on the devices, but make it automatic. What has been an opt-in option until now will become default security for users that, at least theoretically, puts private information beyond the reach of snoops, device manufacturers—and law enforcement. (Note this guide to why you should be careful in how you implement encryption to minimize holes in your defenses.)

i like how they are freaking out about this. At the very most it means they are going to have to contact Apple/Google to figure out the encryption, and therefore limit it but not do away with phone tapping. At the least it means they are just going to have to 'break' the encryption themselves, but again on an individual level to each phone, not the open access they have to all phones now.

and does anybody know how this encryption process works? Is it specific device by device, or its it company specific and the same throughout all of their phones? Depending on the answer it would be another reason for the FBI to not go all "its helping the terrorists" bs

Poor FBI, now it's going to be slightly harder for them to spy on us for no reason.

I truly feel for them.

FBI Asks Congress For Backdoor Access To All Cellphones | The Daily Caller

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Your cellphone would be classified as an "effect".

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back