Neil deGrasse Tyson Errors Whitewashed

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Let me start by saying I'm actually a big fan of NDT. I love science. I love the Cosmos series. NDT makes complex concepts easy to digest.

But he's not infallible, and though that seems like a "well duh" statement, it seems he has a cultish crowd of followers who will not allow him to be seen in error.

Basically, he's accused of making up quotes so that he can make journalists and politicians appear like they don't understand science (why he can't do that with real quotes, I don't know).

He also embarrassingly made a joke about statistics that "of course half are below average", meaning, by definition that's an inherent fact. But that's the definition of median, not mean (average).

So I posted about it on imgur, and I got downvoted like crazy by that science loving community. They did not want to hear about it. But Wikipedia definitely didn't want to hear about it, and is flat out not publishing facts related to this controversy on his wikipedia page.

It's as if all of America falls to the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy, and for NDT to be convincing about evolution and climate change, he has to be 100% infallible in their minds, so they treat it like religion and they have to protect their prophet.

We all do it to some degree with the leaders and minds that appeal to us, but this is out of hand.

Why Is Wikipedia Scrubbing All References To Neil Tyson's Fabrication?

Last edited:
Some really dumb people make some smart points. Some really smart people make dumb points sometimes. No one's perfect.

But hey, why let facts interrupt one's agenda.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting topic, Huff.

I too, like NDT. I differ with him when his conclusions run counter to my faith. But, that is true for all science types who espouse the BBT.

I suspect that people defend him vehemently because the number of public figures who can be trusted sans an agenda is very small. Defending NDT in light of his fabrications is, in essence, defending the notion that he is trustworthy and above having an axe to grind. That defense is needed because having faith in a well respected public figure fills an emotional need in his supporters.

Let me start by saying I'm actually a big fan of NDT. I love science. I love the Cosmos series. NDT makes complex concepts easy to digest.

But he's not infallible, and though that seems like a "well duh" statement, it seems he has a cultish crowd of followers who will not allow him to be seen in error.

Basically, he's accused of making up quotes so that he can make journalists and politicians appear like they don't understand science (why he can't do that with real quotes, I don't know).

He also embarrassingly made a joke about statistics that "of course half are below average", meaning, by definition that's an inherent fact. But that's the definition of median, not mean (average).

So I posted about it on imgur, and I got downvoted like crazy by that science loving community. They did not want to hear about it. But Wikipedia definitely didn't want to hear about it, and is flat out not publishing facts related to this controversy on his wikipedia page.

It's as if all of America falls to the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy, and for NDT to be convincing about evolution and climate change, he has to be 100% infallible in their minds, so they treat it like religion and they have to protect their prophet.

We all do it to some degree with the leaders and minds that appeal to us, but this is out of hand.

Why Is Wikipedia Scrubbing All References To Neil Tyson's Fabrication?

thanks for posting that. not surprising...hope change and transparency in the science community...sad. I love real science. Hate when pseudoscientists abandon the scientific method, or the truth to fit an agenda.

I have always thought the dude a little over the top in "popularizing" science. Sagan was cool, even if he did smoke a little pot every now and then.

The Federalist has been skewering him for a couple weeks now - and rightly so.

You can't be all about science then just make shizz up to prove the people you disagree with aren't that bright.

The funniest one is his repeated use of what appears to be a made up headline "Half of Schools Below Average". You'd think he would understand the difference between means and medians but given the whole thing appears to be a fabrication it's even more ridiculous.

Another Day, Another Quote Fabricated By Neil deGrasse Tyson

As popular as Neil Degrasse Tyson is and as deep as he has waded into the political arena.. it's no wonder that those that oppose his views are having a field day with these fouls. I doubt he will live any of this down anytime soon.

I think the reason Neil has developed a cult like following is that there is a huge demographic in the United States that has been ignored since the founding of this nation. I realize most people of faith dont understand the peer pressure that is directed towards those of no faith but it is real none the less. People of no faith dont gather once a week and reassure each other of their righteousness. Whats more, when you look around and see that most of the authority figures in your life are of one basic religious faith.. some people find it easier to just pacify those people by just going along, keeping their personal ideologies in the closet, and just bow their heads and pretend to pray when friends and family do. They do this out of fear of being ostracized by their loved ones and simply to spare the feelings of those they care about.

This is the world we live in.

So yes, people do eventually get fed up with this lifestyle and eventually end up with an axe to grind. None of this makes it any more right.. but this is at least a possible cause of his cult-like following

Reactions: 2 people
who is BartW going to quote now? Bill Nye has been revealed as a fraud and now NDT.

why does he always get referred to as Neil deGrasse Tyson? what makes him so special that we need 3 names to discuss him? Shoot Mike Tyson is the greatest azz kicker all-time and he only gets 2 names...been better boxers but never a better azz kicker in a boxing ring. Maybe its the Neil thing...and being girly. Neil Patrick Harris also goes by 3 names (doogie howser)...hes a girly, 3 named Neil. Usually only assassins go by 3 names...John wilkes Booth, Lee harvey Oswald...those guys changed history. This guy makes up quotes so he can ridicule them to be smug...and indoctrinate people on unproven science like abiogenesis. What a joke. Want me to call you by 3 names you better kill a world leader or something. Mocking people with quotes you had to make up doesn't make you memorable enough.

Reactions: 3 people
Sooie, you have a horribly warped view of Christianity if you think we sit around patting ourselves on the back because we Christians when we go to church.

There are plenty of legitimate examples of the anti-science mindset of people in power in this country, so it seems unnecessary and lazy for NDT to fabricate some quotes. Pretty disappointing.

As popular as Neil Degrasse Tyson is and as deep as he has waded into the political arena.. it's no wonder that those that oppose his views are having a field day with these fouls. I doubt he will live any of this down anytime soon.

I think the reason Neil has developed a cult like following is that there is a huge demographic in the United States that has been ignored since the founding of this nation. I realize most people of faith dont understand the peer pressure that is directed towards those of no faith but it is real none the less. People of no faith dont gather once a week and reassure each other of their righteousness. Whats more, when you look around and see that most of the authority figures in your life are of one basic religious faith.. some people find it easier to just pacify those people by just going along, keeping their personal ideologies in the closet, and just bow their heads and pretend to pray when friends and family do. They do this out of fear of being ostracized by their loved ones and simply to spare the feelings of those they care about.

This is the world we live in.

So yes, people do eventually get fed up with this lifestyle and eventually end up with an axe to grind. None of this makes it any more right.. but this is at least a possible cause of his cult-like following

sounds like the people u r describing need to grow a pair lol

why does he always get referred to as Neil deGrasse Tyson? what makes him so special that we need 3 names to discuss him? Shoot Mike Tyson is the greatest azz kicker all-time and he only gets 2 names...been better boxers but never a better azz kicker in a boxing ring. Maybe its the Neil thing...and being girly. Neil Patrick Harris also goes by 3 names (doogie howser)...hes a girly, 3 named Neil. Usually only assassins go by 3 names...John wilkes Booth, Lee harvey Oswald...those guys changed history. This guy makes up quotes so he can ridicule them to be smug...and indoctrinate people on unproven science like abiogenesis. What a joke. Want me to call you by 3 names you better kill a world leader or something. Mocking people with quotes you had to make up doesn't make you memorable enough.

Congratulations. You've graced this thread with the most pointless and idiotic post thus far. Dont worry though.. Im sure someone will come along shortly to set the bar even lower

Reactions: 5 people
Congratulations. You've graced this thread with the most pointless and idiotic post thus far. Dont worry though.. Im sure someone will come along shortly to set the bar even lower

I think he was being funny. Since we're being mean, your first post was pretty bad (and I'm an agnostic).

yes pig i was joking...if you don't enjoy it go play with the other pigs on an arKansas site. I think it's hilarious that a guy who is lauded as a hero to the science community flat out makes stuff up to try and look intelligent....and then they blatantly try to cover for him. It's very entertaining. He's the real joke, not my post.

"grow a pair" and.. do what?

Im not a christian and have went to church before and told them Im not a christian. I have turned down communion before and nothing ever happened. U made it sound way too traumatic and the people that u described about the hurt caused them by the evil christians seem pretty d*mn fragile.

There are plenty of legitimate examples of the anti-science mindset of people in power in this country, so it seems unnecessary and lazy for NDT to fabricate some quotes. Pretty disappointing.

I agree.. utterly pointless.

The christian talking heads in this country can sit around and spew whatever BS tickles their fancy without ever having to consider evidence.. there is no need for Neil to misspeak at all. Those a$$holes make themselves look stupid enough without much help.

FTR, I like NDT. Seems like a cool guy.

Cool guy? He killed Pluto along with that Michael Brown bastage.

I thought Cosmos was going to be a cool series, but it sounded like he was talking a group of 4th graders. Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is a far better series IMO.

I think Huff cued me in to that, so thanks to him.

I think he was being funny. Since we're being mean, your first post was pretty bad (and I'm an agnostic).

I couldnt care less what you are.

Sarcasm doesn't always come through in text. Especially if it starts out stupid and I skim the rest.

Apologies to the man if he was making a joke. I retract my statement if that is the case.

Cool guy? He killed Pluto along with that Michael Brown bastage.

I thought Cosmos was going to be a cool series, but it sounded like he was talking a group of 4th graders. Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is a far better series IMO.

I think Huff cued me in to that, so thanks to him.

I will have to check that out.....I was getting ready to watch the cosmos series....glad to know it would have been a waste of time.

VN Store

Back