East TN LEO military gear

Coug

East Tennessee police take in $11 million in surplus military gear - News Sentinel Story

"Knox County’s collection of the used equipment totals $2.2 million since 2006 and includes two helicopters, a mine-resistant personnel carrier(MRAP), 237 5.56-millimeter and 58 7.62-millimeter rifles, 49 automatic pistols, 250 bayonets and a demolition firing device."

"No place in East Tennessee has received more of the used military gear than Roane County, which has gotten two decontamination units, six cargo trucks, 11 utility trucks, two motorcycles, one personnel carrier, a boat, two tractors, two trailer-mounted field kitchens, 30 5.56-millimeter rifles, 30 automatic pistols, 60 bayonets and scabbards, 40 pairs of combat boots, three surveillance cameras, a chainsaw and one cold-juice dispenser."

1 MRAP and a couple hundred M16's doesn't really count as "militarization", does it?

If it does, the police have been "militarized" for a couple of hundred years.

That's what it sounds like. This country's freedom has been gone for awhile.

Lol, I'm sorry. But our freedom is still here.

I use to think the same as you. Until I went to a second world country. If you ever travel and see 2nd or 3rd world country you will deeply appreciate the great United States Of America.

Reactions: 3 people
Stockpile for upcoming martial law. :rock:

There really isn't any other reason. People in the government want another terrorist attack to happen so they can make another power grab. That's why they refuse to do anything at the border while having solid evidence that ISIS has members in Mexico prepared to launch car bomb attacks in the US. They will attack soft targets like schools and malls, and then the government will declare martial law. It's going to happen.

Reactions: 1 person
These seem a bit odd. What is a demolition firing device?

Likely it's an M57 firing device. There isn't a good article online about them to point you to, but you can Google it to see some pics.

And before your sphincter starts tightening, yes, it's used for anti-personnel mines. Difference being is most departments probably don't have access to said mines. Otherwise, it's probably a play toy that someone thought was neat. And even more sinister, you can find them on Ebay from time to time if you really want to be as upgunned as the police.

Like Golfballs, I'm more worried about that juice dispenser myself. Evil, evil purposes lurk in the shadows if the cops have that.

East Tennessee police take in $11 million in surplus military gear - News Sentinel Story

"Knox County’s collection of the used equipment totals $2.2 million since 2006 and includes two helicopters, a mine-resistant personnel carrier(MRAP), 237 5.56-millimeter and 58 7.62-millimeter rifles, 49 automatic pistols, 250 bayonets and a demolition firing device."

"No place in East Tennessee has received more of the used military gear than Roane County, which has gotten two decontamination units, six cargo trucks, 11 utility trucks, two motorcycles, one personnel carrier, a boat, two tractors, two trailer-mounted field kitchens, 30 5.56-millimeter rifles, 30 automatic pistols, 60 bayonets and scabbards, 40 pairs of combat boots, three surveillance cameras, a chainsaw and one cold-juice dispenser."

The Houston brothers must have really gotten them shaken up over there...

I use to think the same as you. Until I went to a second world country. If you ever travel and see 2nd or 3rd world country you will deeply appreciate the great United States Of America.

What country was that?

Knives? You can go to any decent gun store/ military surplus and buy mounts for yourself that accept a standard sized knife. What is a standard size idk but don't freak out too much

In what situation could you see a police force needing bayonets?

For the record I don't have an issue with the vehicles and the other equipment obtained

In what situation could you see a police force needing bayonets?

For the record I don't have an issue with the vehicles and the other equipment obtained

Same here, the only one I was scratching my head over was the bayonets. I'm not military man but I don't know why they still issue them, I'm pretty sure the days of fixing bayonets and charging over the trench are over.

Same here, the only one I was scratching my head over was the bayonets. I'm not military man but I don't know why they still issue them, I'm pretty sure the days of fixing bayonets and charging over the trench are over.

As for the military still issuing them, it's a cross between "nobody ever told them to stop" and "still a useful tool."

A bayonet is still a useful implement for cutting and digging. Being that the last 25 years have been spent in desert warfare, the cutting and digging portions of that have been forgotten for the most part, but in a woodland environment, it still serves as a "better to have and not need" tool rather than the opposite. So if you think in terms of "tool" as opposed to "weapon" you can see why the military still issues them.

As for why a PD would want or need them, I have no idea. Could be part of a kit that comes with each rifle, could be someone thought "neat" and grabbed a bunch.

^ This.

People tend to either not know or forget how good we have it here.

Look at it this way. Your taxes paid for that equipment. Instead of the local law enforcement using your taxes AGAIN to purchase equipment, they are instead having it donated. Now the equipment that you paid for will continue to be used. The other option is to just take them to a junk heap where they slowly rust over decades..

Look at it this way. Your taxes paid for that equipment. Instead of the local law enforcement using your taxes AGAIN to purchase equipment, they are instead having it donated. Now the equipment that you paid for will continue to be used. The other option is to just take them to a junk heap where they slowly rust over decades..

Was thinking the same thing, but it sounds much better coming from you....:popcorn:

These seem a bit odd. What is a demolition firing device?

Right, so instead of tear gas and rubber bullets they have a launcher if you will that shoots demolition grade explosives at precise targets and they just bring a building down on top of protestors and blame an engineering issue.

I have heard that Harriman and Rockwood were getting pretty bad with meth. Gotta love the drug war. Geez

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/liberty-justice/how-the-drug-war-created-crystal-meth/

Last edited:

VN Store

Back