OK, someone really needs to explain this to me

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
So the West puts sanctions on Russia. Russia retaliates and puts sanctions on food imports from the West. Now the West is going to whine to the WTO and try to force Russia to remove their sanctions. Where is the logic in this?

U.S., Russia trade war escalates - Eric Bradner - POLITICO.com

U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman’s office said it views Moscow’s latest restrictions — unlike U.S. and European sanctions — as a break from the type of retaliation typically allowed by the international trade body.

“The sanctions that the United States has imposed comply with our international obligations. By contrast, Russia’s move to ban agriculture goods from the United States and the EU appears to have no grounding in the WTO rules governing international trade,” spokesman Trevor Kincaid said. “We will monitor the situation and take actions as appropriate.”

European officials were more direct.
“Politically motivated large-scale trade restrictions are a direct violation of WTO rules, which Russia pledged to comply with,” Russia’s state-owned news agency ITAR-TASS quoted a European diplomatic source as saying. “These measures will be thoroughly analyzed, and then relevant claims will be submitted with the WTO.”

Wait... aren't the sanctions applied to Russia politically motivated?

C'mon guys... admit it. Not even you all can take this seriously, can you?

“These sanctions are just another sign that Russia is a criminal enterprise masquerading as a country,” Conaway said in a statement provided to POLITICO. “The Russians have been using questionable tactics for years to target U.S. farmers and ranchers. They have continually blocked imports of U.S. poultry and pork by making specious claims that imports represent a health threat."

Really??? Russia is a criminal enterprise masquerading as a country? For simply retaliating on sanctions imposed upon them?

And I can understand if they are blocking GMO foods from entering Russia. There are several countries that are moving in that direction.

If they don't want our poultry and pork then that's perfectly fine, there will just be more for Chris Christie to eat.

Reactions: 3 people
So the West puts sanctions on Russia. Russia retaliates and puts sanctions on food imports from the West. Now the West is going to whine to the WTO and try to force Russia to remove their sanctions. Where is the logic in this?

Dude just move to Russia.

Reactions: 1 person
Russia blows. There is a reason a ton of slav's left that part of the world 100 years ago.

Reactions: 1 person

I guess I'd have to know more about the specifics of WTO trade laws, but yes, it does seem a bit hypocritical.

But when you're on the right side of history, hey, who cares!

I guess I'd have to know more about the specifics of WTO trade laws, but yes, it does seem a bit hypocritical.

But when you're on the right side of history, hey, who cares!

:yes:

I'm sure there are rules for sanctions but it seems the rules get written to favor the ones who control access to WTO.

VN Store

Back