Church cancels funeral service after learning deceased was gay

DinkinFlicka

Erect Member
Family says Tampa church canceled funeral because son was gay

I would like the open with the notion that I support the churches right to do as they please, but I have two questions (one ethical and one for our Biblical scholars):

1. Should the church suffer legal repercussions for canceling a service with so little time to make alternative arrangements?

I think yes. There were apparently hundreds of people who came into town for this service, and I imagine a decent number of them traveled/took time off work in order to attend. If you make a commitment to something as important as a funeral service, then it seems that you should follow through despite what you may learn about the deceased after the funeral. Sure, there are lines to be drawn in that respect (i.e. you find out this man was a murder, sexual offender, or something along those lines), but this man didn't commit a heinous crime.

2. Was canceling the service, given the reasons, the Christian thing to do?

I'm no expert, but everyone lives and dies a sinner, correct? I'm not a cherry picker, and this was a rather big deal to be one.

Reactions: 6 people

I would like the open with the notion that I support the churches right to do as they please, but I have two questions (one ethical and one for our Biblical scholars):

1. Should the church suffer legal repercussions for canceling a service with so little time to make alternative arrangements?

I think yes. There were apparently hundreds of people who came into town for this service, and I imagine a decent number of them traveled/took time off work in order to attend. If you make a commitment to something as important as a funeral service, then it seems that you should follow through despite what you may learn about the deceased after the funeral. Sure, there are lines to be drawn in that respect (i.e. you find out this man was a murder, sexual offender, or something along those lines), but this man didn't commit a heinous crime.

I'm no expert, but everyone lives and dies a sinner, correct? I'm not a cherry picker, and this was a rather big deal to be one.

2. No

Reactions: 3 people
Heard about this the other day still troubles me how some churches believe its ok especially given the fact that the family despite the churches stance stayed involved
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We get it already. You hate Christianity and think Islam is peaceful religion with just a few bad apples. :crazy:

Reactions: 6 people

1) Anyone/business including a church should be able to choose who they serve without legal repercussion.

2) If they disclosed their policies upfront to the family and the family hid the facts, then no they should not be subject to financial/legal repercussions.
If the church DIDN'T disclose upfront their policies and had a written or verbal agreement and/or took money for the services. Then yes they should be liable for breach of contract.

3) No. That simple.

Reactions: 1 person
We get it already. You hate Christianity and think Islam is peaceful religion with just a few bad apples. :crazy:

Where in my post here (or any post I've made) have I condemned Christianity? I asked an objective question.

For someone so old and experienced, your head's pretty far up your ignorant ass.

Reactions: 15 people
1) Anyone/business including a church should be able to choose who they serve without legal repercussion.

2) If they disclosed their policies upfront to the family and the family hid the facts, then no they should not be subject to financial/legal repercussions.
If the church DIDN'T disclose upfront their policies and had a written or verbal agreement and/or took money for the services. Then yes they should be liable for breach of contract.

3) No. That simple.

Like I said, I believe it's within their right to refuse the service, but that's not what happened. They retracted a service after committing to it.

I've never made funeral plans. Do they typically come with a contract?

Like I said, I believe it's within their right to refuse the service, but that's not what happened. They retracted a service after committing to it.

The one time I was involved the church did not, my Grandmother had been a member for decades so their were no fees. The funeral home sure did.

I wouldn't be surprised if some churches do have contracts for such things just as an FYI.

Probably varies from church to church. Larger churches might. Funeral homes certainly do.

Where in my post here (or any post I've made) have I condemned Christianity? I asked an objective question.

For someone so old and experienced, your head's pretty far up your ignorant ass.

you love to point out the hypocrisy of Christians. You've done it several times, and yet you've never made a thread regarding the hypocrisy of muslims. Why is that?

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with some others on here that unless there was some sort of written, binding document signed then there is no legal issue.

Like Hogg said, I believe, if the church laid out their rules and it clearly stated no funerals for gay people then there really is no reason for any kind of anger over it.

However let me say this. I find this despicable. No church should deny having a funeral for someone for any reason.

you love to point out the hypocrisy of Christians. You've done it several times, and yet you've never made a thread regarding the hypocrisy of muslims. Why is that?

Please, again... point out where I've made such posts and claims or feel free to quit incessantly *****ing about it.

And I haven't made such a thread about Muslims because there are already several and I feel it's a broken record at this point.

Boo freaking hoo dude. How many insufferable threads do we have to endure a week involving Muslims? We get at least 2 a week. Go join that circle jerk.

Reactions: 8 people
So did they think he was still gay?

Do they not bury any sinners or just gay sinners, and if is the first then their cemetery must be empty.

I agree with some others on here that unless there was some sort of written, binding document signed then there is no legal issue.

Like Hogg said, I believe, if the church laid out their rules and it clearly stated no funerals for gay people then there really is no reason for any kind of anger over it.

However let me say this. I find this despicable. No church should deny having a funeral for someone for any reason.

I think there are two edges to this sword.

If there is no contract, then there can be no suit for a breach of contract.

On the other hand, If there were rules that were laid out, then there would have been some sort of contractual agreement.

That aside, this family was civilly wronged. It was a despicable thing to do.

VN Store

Back