USPS going broke ? Maybe this is why

I would comment on the general laziness of government union employees, but their laziness isn't any worse than that of private sector union employees.

Reactions: 3 people
The USPS is obsolete. I'd say less than 5 % of the physical mail I get is anything other than ads. And most of the 5 % is just re-telling me what I know from email or online. If I rarely had to have something hand delivered, the occasional $10 charge to have a private company do it is well worth it.

There are probably some functions for the USPS that don't immediately come to mind for me. But overall I say its time to junk it.

Reactions: 1 person
The USPS is obsolete. I'd say less than 5 % of the physical mail I get is anything other than ads. And most of the 5 % is just re-telling me what I know from email or online. If I rarely had to have something hand delivered, the occasional $10 charge to have a private company do it is well worth it.

There are probably some functions for the USPS that don't immediately come to mind for me. But overall I say its time to junk it.

Kevin Costner disagrees. :)

Agree. They missed the boat during the early years of the internet and email. If they had been smart, they would have established ISPs in every post office across the country and become the go to for electronic as well as hard copy mail.

That said, I'm glad they didn't as we would all still be waiting 20 minutes to log in, just like back in the days of AOL.

Agree. They missed the boat during the early years of the internet and email. If they had been smart, they would have established ISPs in every post office across the country and become the go to for electronic as well as hard copy mail.

That said, I'm glad they didn't as we would all still be waiting 20 minutes to log in, just like back in the days of AOL.

The should have seen it coming with the advent of fax machines and FedEx.

The primary argument made against abolishing the USPS is that they are mandated to service EVERY address.

I guarantee a politician suggested closing the USPS they'd be accused of being racist and hating poor people. Hell look at what happened when people suggest closing a few offices or getting rid of Saturday delivery

The should have seen it coming with the advent of fax machines and FedEx.

The primary argument made against abolishing the USPS is that they are mandated to service EVERY address.

I guarantee a politician suggested closing the USPS they'd be accused of being racist and hating poor people. Hell look at what happened when people suggest closing a few offices or getting rid of Saturday delivery

Not only that but the unions and AARP would be all over them to.

I pay all bills online but even thats is becoming a risk anymore -- with all these Russian and ME hackers

What about online orders ? FedEx outsources the USPS on alot of stuff I have ordered

They'll keep it around. At least until a wonderful politician comes up with a good way of being able to charge for individual emails.

OMG a federal agency LG wants to abolish. :)

Who are you? What have you done with LG? Can you hack his bank accounts too and wire me money?

And put 400,000 out of work

This is just an attempt to disagree with LG on something even though you likely agree with what he said. I'm sure you'll be the first to admit that the Fed employs to many people.

I work for the post office, so no I don't agree with good reason.

Even though you work for them, surely you can agree that they are wasting entirely too much money, yes? You don't seem to be a supporter of too much government spending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I've walked into a post office and stood there waiting in line while one person mans a register and the other 3 are "on break". Eventually a manager comes out and asks if they can help me which obviously they can't. Slowly the rest of the people trickle in from their "break" and spend more time asking me if I want stamps, insurance, a happy ending, etc, then actually just charging me for the postage.

Luckily I work for the FAA.

There's a simple solution really.

Privatize the USPS and contract local post offices out to companies that can handle it. How many major delivery companies are there? FedEx, UPS and USPS? Maybe even add DHL into that as well. And I'd bet a couple of more that might spring up as well. Put the USPS on the market and sell it, make it run like a business, let private sector money do what needs to be done, Congress can still mandate Saturday delivery and mail rates, the Executive Branch can still have a postmaster general, but turn it over to the private sector entirely.

VN Store

Back